Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Losing external HD

Title
    Thanks

Losing external HD

Hi I am new to Openvix and recently got a SF8008 and with external hard drive from World Of Satellite that need some help with of possible please. It all works perfectly until I have a power cut or turn box off at wall then I lose the hard drive. After this I can still see hard drive in storage and I can initialize and it works but I lose all recordings. I have tried to mount the hard drive via Vix/Mountmanager and that shows USB: Size:
    unavailable, if I then press unmount I get cannot unmount partition 'none' and if I try to mount I then get Mount failed /dev/sd1 unavailable. I have also tried to alter the setup mounts and it then reboots but comes back to the same setting.
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKRUSSNORTH View Post
    Hi I am new to Openvix and recently got a SF8008 and with external hard drive from World Of Satellite that need some help with of possible please. It all works perfectly until I have a power cut or turn box off at wall then I lose the hard drive. After this I can still see hard drive in storage and I can initialize and it works but I lose all recordings. I have tried to mount the hard drive via Vix/Mountmanager and that shows USB: Size:
    unavailable, if I then press unmount I get cannot unmount partition 'none' and if I try to mount I then get Mount failed /dev/sd1 unavailable. I have also tried to alter the setup mounts and it then reboots but comes back to the same setting.
    Does it have its own power supply, because usb connection is probably not sufficient.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    No it came with the box from World of Satellite and just plugs directly in with one cable and no lead for external power supply. Thanks

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Do you put the box into deep standby before switching off at the mains?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Most boxes are only put into standby and not powered off at rear or wall outlet.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    No it came with the box from World of Satellite and just plugs directly in with one cable and no lead for external power supply. Thanks
    Plugs in where - usb? … and is it ssd or disks?
    Last edited by twol; 09-08-22 at 08:02.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    WOS only appear to sell one usb drive, and it's powered by usb, not an external power supply.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    Most boxes are only put into standby and not powered off at rear or wall outlet.
    I always leave both my boxes in deep standby when not in use.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

cactikid (09-08-22)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    If you want to switch the box off at the wall then put the box in DEEP STANDBY first - then you shouldnt have any problems. An Enigma2 receiver is like a PC - it must be shut down correctly.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    If you want to switch the box off at the wall then put the box in DEEP STANDBY first - then you shouldnt have any problems. An Enigma2 receiver is like a PC - it must be shut down correctly.
    Plus in deep standby the power consumption is only around 0.5W (approx £1.30 per year with current prices). The box can wake up from deep standby for recording and go back to deep standby afterwards. My box is seldom switched off at the mains and runs powered up (deep standby when not in use) for months on end.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

ronand (09-08-22)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Its usually recommended that external disks are externally powered as the usb port may only supply a marginal power. More power is often required to start up the disk than when it is running normally.

When this happens again try holding down the power button on your remote and from the menu that appears select the GUI restart or the restart function. Then see is the disk has been recognised/mounted. Doing this may mean that the disk being tardy starting up when power was first applied has a second chance when the usb power has not been removed (or only for a very short time) during the restart.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    The sf8008 is perfectly capable of powering a 2.5" portable hard drive from the rear usb 2.0 socket. The OP's problem seems to occur when the box loses power or it is powered off at the mains. The drive seems to be getting corrupted which is pretty natural especially if it is in use (timeshift etc) when this happens. If the power cuts out regularly a UPS would be a wise investment.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,

Hoping it can help: switch the BOX off - unplug the external drive - switch the box ON - wait till started completely - connect the USB-drive again and check.

Reasoning:
    I have 3 external HDD-drives at the 3 USB-ports of my Ultimo4K (2 powered and 1 not) and when my box hangs (like now, see my IMDb thread I just posted) and I need to restart it with the ON/OFF button, I HAVE TO first unplug the external drives and only then will it correctly start and once started, I can connect the drives again.

My suspicion is that the Ultimo4K / VIX / Enigma2 expect a USB-flash file, so if that is not found, my box stops.
    Maybe the SF8008 also expects something like that, is able to skip over, but does not correctly start-up the connection with the USB-drive.
    Current: Vu+ Ultimo 4K - 1Tb HDD, 8Tb USB, 8Tb USB, 6Tb USB (all powered)
    ___________Astra 19.2 and 28.2 East, both with Unicable-II LNB