Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Ultimo4K freezing when pressing standby button

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Ultimo4K freezing when pressing standby button

I'm trying to work out what problem I have. After watching 1-2 hours from the hard drive, when I press the standby button, the box is freezing. No buttons are responsive. Can't ftp or see webif. The only fix is to press the power button off and on again. I don't think this is an OpenVix issue.

It only happens after a long period of of disk usage. If I view content via samba or DNLA for 10-20 mins, it doesn't happen. But after a couple of hours, it freezes every time.

I think it is either the hard disk is failing (although it appears to be working OK) or more likely, I suspect a power capacitor thingy is giving up the ghost and there might be a voltage issue. I've had the box a long time, I got it soon after the Ultimo4K came out.

I've tried a few weeks of not using the hard drive and it hasn't happened since.

I see that VU don't make the Ultimo4K anymore. But they do make a Duo 4K SE which seems to have a faster processor than the Ultimo4K. Looks much the same as the Ultimo4K but would welcome any advice. Is there a better quality brand I should consider?

A silly question, if I were to buy a Duo 4K SE from WofS (with the same tuner) would I be able to use an Ultimo4k OpenVix settings backup to get up and running faster or do I have to start from scratch? (Think I might know your answer to that one)
    Last edited by thecaretaker; 25-07-22 at 17:21.
    VU+ Duo 4K SE

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,917 Times in 3,254 Posts
    So you are part way through playing a movie, and without stopping the movie playing you put the box straight in standby?

You really need to get us a debug log so we can see what is happening.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    No, I always return the to normal TV viewing before pressing the standby button. I use Samba or miniDLNA to view recordings on the TV. I always return to normal viewing before going into Standby. I have a Bower & Wilkins Panorama 2 soundbar, Panasonic OLED TV and Ultimo4K and if I don't go into standby from normal TV viewing it can get confused and not start up with one press.

The box totally freezes and I can't get access to anything on the hard drive. All I can do is turn the power off and back on, but when I do that any log files are cleared.
    VU+ Duo 4K SE

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok so setup debug logs and next time it happens post the log.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,887 Times in 2,242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thecaretaker View Post
    No, I always return the to normal TV viewing before pressing the standby button. I use Samba or miniDLNA to view recordings on the TV. I always return to normal viewing before going into Standby. I have a Bower & Wilkins Panorama 2 soundbar, Panasonic OLED TV and Ultimo4K and if I don't go into standby from normal TV viewing it can get confused and not start up with one press.

The box totally freezes and I can't get access to anything on the hard drive. All I can do is turn the power off and back on, but when I do that any log files are cleared.
    Log files are not cleared, although the last log entries may be missing
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    OK, I'll have a play tomorrow to see what I can get.
    VU+ Duo 4K SE

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I've been trying since 6am this morning and I can't get it to freeze now. This may take a long while, but if it does freeze again I'll post the log file here. Maybe it was OpenVix related and something with the latest .08 version has fixed the issue or by reinstalling Samba has fixed it.
    VU+ Duo 4K SE

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Or turning on debug logs fixed it.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    So you are part way through playing a movie, and without stopping the movie playing you put the box straight in standby?
    I sometimes do that accidentally (e.g. last night). Doesn't cause a problem*. The movie restarts when you press the power button again.

* and, if it did, then the power button should be ignored during playback.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    I sometimes do that accidentally (e.g. last night). Doesn't cause a problem*. The movie restarts when you press the power button again.

* and, if it did, then the power button should be ignored during playback.
    Yes, I know that works. I was just trying to confirm exactly what the OP was doing.