Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Smart Plugin

Title
    Thanks

Smart Plugin

I recently had some issue with an internal Hard Drive (ext4) and not being a linux guru I did not realise I had a problem until it was too late. It would be a really useful feature to have an equivalent of CrystalDiskInfo in the Windows world (possibly GSmartControl) that is call-able from a plugin so the "average Jo" can install and run the plugin to see if the disk has any current pending sectors etc. I suspect my drive may have been "on the way out" for some time but it was not until I had a catastrophic event (several freezes and several crashes when using Timeshift) that I thought to investigate the structure of the disk and it's smart attributes. This was not easy (for me as a non-linux person) but it turned out that after much Googling and running of commands that EXT4 was partially corrupt and I had several CPS's. Replaced the drive and the ZgemmaH7 has been behaving much better.

Is there such a plugin and if so would it be a "good thing" to have in in the standard build so that it can be called from the menu's??

Thanks
    Paul

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Checking of HDD is builtin. There are two methods.

1. Somewhere in menu option (I believe in same section as storage) you can get it to check (along with usual format). I personally don't like this method as its not verbose and doesnt display results on screen

2. Use Telnet/putty and run following commands (Note: /dev/sda1 may differ)
    Code:
    init 4
    umount /dev/sda1
    e2fsck -pcfv /dev/sda1
    The above commands put box to sleep, unmounts HDD, and forces a check of disc (ensure you don't have recording or timeshift in operation, etc)

Once ran, you can use the "reboot" command from within telnet/putty to reboot your box

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbbuk For This Useful Post:

smipx (25-06-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. What would be of use/interest also however is something along the lines of the image below - showing Current pending sectors and giving a heads up that the disk should be replaced. This might well be the case even if there are no current errors on the filesystem (i.e. may give more than the e2fsck possibly??):

2022-06-25 12_42_55-Window.png

There is this project : https://github.com/rdamas/smartctl that mentions enigma2
    Last edited by smipx; 25-06-22 at 12:46.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smipx View Post
    There is this project : https://github.com/rdamas/smartctl that mentions enigma2
    Why don't you try it?
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Why don't you try it?
    I wouldn't know where to begin :-)
    I was just an idea for a future inclusion that would build on openvix :-)
    My disk is okay now and I'm not a developer - I wouldn't pretend to have those skills......

Title
    Thanks
    If it was just an IPK I could FTP over to tmp and install (that installed all the other bits and bobs) I would have done but it doesn't look like an IPK file and I don't know Linux.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    You get all the files in this folder...
    https://github.com/rdamas/smartctl/tree/master/src

And you ftp them to...
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/smartctl

littlejim
    AFAICS the instructions are clone the repo on your development system and run build.sh which builds the ipk file:
    enigma2-plugin-extensions-smartcontrol_0.4_all.ipk

copy it somewhere where your enigma2 box can access it, I used /hdd/imagebackups/

On your enigma2 box:

Code:
    opkg install util-linux
    opkg install smartmontools
    opkg install /hdd/imagebackups/enigma2-plugin-extensions-smartcontrol_0.4_all.ipk
    Then reboot the box.

Then for OpenViX press [MENU], choose Plugins, and one of the plugins there should be SmartControl.

However for me it seems to crash:
    Enigma2_crash_2022-06-25_14-56-24.log
    Last edited by littlejim; 25-06-22 at 15:42.

littlejim
    Just doing:
    Code:
    opkg install smartmontools
    allows you do do:
    Code:
    smartctl -a /dev/sda
    from the command line and you get to see the state of your drive.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks littlejim

I did the same as you (except my ipk was popped into var/volatile/tmp and I then did an init 6 from the console. It crashes for me also.

17:49:58.8414 TypeError: MultiContentEntryPixmapAlphaTest() got an unexpected keyword argument 'options'
    17:49:58.8415 [ePyObject] (CallObject(<bound method ActionMap.action of <Components.ActionMap.ActionMap object at 0xaf7d68f8>>,('WizardActions', 'ok')) failed)

the smartctl -a /dev/sda did work though :-)

Looks pretty ugly compared to how the developer of the plugin intended it to look though (if the plugin worked of course).

2022-06-25 17_56_04-Window.jpg

Ah well - nothing ventured and all that.

Thanks for that though. Appreciated.

Paul
    Last edited by smipx; 25-06-22 at 17:58.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Code:
    MultiContentEntryPixmapAlphaTest(pos=(x2, y2), size=(w2, h2), options = BT_SCALE, png = png)
    Should be:

Code:
    MultiContentEntryPixmapAlphaTest(pos=(x2, y2), size=(w2, h2), flags = BT_SCALE, png = png)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Huevos,

That got past the initial crash but it looks like

1) its in German
    2) when you press any of the colour buttons it just gives an error:

2022-06-26 14_50_38-Zgemma H7 - OpenWebif.jpg
    v
    v

2022-06-26 14_49_23-Zgemma H7 - OpenWebif.png

it looks like it is only a half done project and best forgotten about unless someone with py coding skills wants to take it over and make it their own.

Thanks for looking.

Paul
    Last edited by smipx; 26-06-22 at 14:51.