Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: EPG Refresh plugin

Category:
Support Question
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
6.2.x, maybe also some 6.1.x
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPG Refresh plugin

littlejim

Question EPG Refresh plugin

Did EPG Refresh always only very intermittently do it's scheduled EPG Refresh?

I'm sure I used to find it did it at least almost every time if not every time.

Now it seems like it hardly ever works at all

(I'm using EPG Refresh so I can auto refresh both Sky OpenTV and Freeview).

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    EPGRefresh only uses EIT-EPG information. Do your channels provide EIT and not only now&next?

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 882 Posts
    There seems to be some confusion about the operation of EPGRefresh. Its only function is to switch to a configured channel or channels and either do a "fake recording" or tune in a PiP invisibly. It is the built-in enigma EPG readers (either Freesat/Freeview schedule from EIT or Freesat home transponder) or OpenTV schedule from Sky home transponder that populate the EPG.

You can configure EPGRefresh to operate between set hours and spend a certain length of time tuned to a particular transponder. The EPG data is gathered in the background by the enigma readers. I think the default frequency of collection is 60 minutes.

I use EPGRefresh to tune to the Freesat home transponder between 17:30 and 18:15 each day for two minutes. The EPG reader gathers a full seven day schedule during that time.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (30-05-22)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I use it myself for 28.2e and Saorview and it works a treat. You may need to extend the time it spends on a channel - I use 300 seconds.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

smipx (15-03-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    EPG refresh does not have exact times to zap. It has time ranges. So best to ensure it is set to run when tuners are free.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

littlejim
    Thank you for all the answers.

I currently give EPGRefresh a time range 07:37 to 10:27.
    I have "Delay if not in standby" set to 3.

The way I tell whether EPG Refresh has run is by whether, when I bring my box out of standby, I see queued up notifications saying "EPG Refresh started" followed by another saying "EPG Refresh finished".

I'm not sure what "skip protected services" is for. Could it be important?

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    skip protected means do not switch to scambled channels. If you set it up as fake recording you can watch what happen in the channel list as the channel which is scanned for EPG is drawn in red in the channel list when you open it. I configured several of my bouquets to be used by EPG-Refresh.

Ralf
    ---
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (04-12-22)

littlejim
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    skip protected means do not switch to scambled channels. If you set it up as fake recording you can watch what happen in the channel list as the channel which is scanned for EPG is drawn in red in the channel list when you open it. I configured several of my bouquets to be used by EPG-Refresh.

Ralf
    Any idea why it's "background only" or "foreground also" rather than the more obvious "yes" or "no".

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    if you have more than 1 tuner EPG refresh can start invisible in the background. I always you fake recording (i tink that is the name).

Ralf
    ---

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (02-06-22)

Title
    Thanks
    I use "fake recording" also. I stopped using the PiP option on my GB Quad+ because, if I used a menu function which also used PiP (like EPG or channel list) while EPGRefresh was running, then I was left with a blank PiP rectangle on-screen when I exited the menu. This PiP would clear once EPGRefresh was finished.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

littlejim
    Hi,
    if you have more than 1 tuner EPG refresh can start invisible in the background.Ralf
    I guess that explains what foreground and background are but what's that got to do with whether to skip a channel?
    In fact why would you ever want to skip channels?
    Last edited by littlejim; 02-06-22 at 20:05.

littlejim
    I always you fake recording (i tink that is the name).
    I was always using "fake recording" but I tried "PiP (hidden)" last night and it seemed to work.
    But it always did work sometimes, so I don't know.
    Last edited by littlejim; 02-06-22 at 20:05.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejim View Post
    I was always using "fake recording" but I tried "PiP (hidden)" last night and it seemed to work.
    But it always did work sometimes, so I don't know.
    PiP will work ok, but I found that if I did anything with a menu that used a PiP also while EPGRefresh was running I was left with a blank rectangle on screen until EPGR... was finished.

littlejim
    I don't know why (probably something stupid I'd done before) but I put EPG Refresh back to "Fake Recording" and it's worked fine 3 days in a row.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    There is a reason why Fake recording was preferred in the guide for EPG refresh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast