Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: HDD no longer recognised

Title
    Thanks

HDD no longer recognised

Hi, I have a 3 month old HD61 4K with a pre-installed Toshiba 1TB HDD. It's worked flawlessly (openatv 6.4, 7.0 and OpenVix 6) until a few days ago. Now the HDD cannot be seen - it cannot be mounted, I get 'mount failed' and any operation on the HDD fails, even initialisation - which I see the attached error for. can anyone suggest how to resolve this issue? I've got a number of recordings on it but am resigned to losing them. I just want a HDD that works.

media/usb the usb stick that I'm using for backups, epg etc I've tried renaming the HDD to media/HDD but it reverts back

I've even tried mounting via telnet but get the following...

Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd
    NTFS signature is missing.
    Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Invalid argument
    The device '/dev/sda1' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
    Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
    partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?
    mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /media/hdd failed: No such file or directory
    Also...

Code:
    ~# df -h
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mmcblk0p23           5.2G      1.5G      3.4G  31% /
    devtmpfs                929.3M     40.0K    929.3M   0% /dev
    tmpfs                    64.0K         0     64.0K   0% /media
    /dev/mmcblk0p4            2.0M     20.0K      2.0M   1% /boot
    tmpfs                   929.6M      1.6M    928.0M   0% /var/volatile
    /dev/sdb1                57.3G      1.2G     56.1G   2% /media/usb
    Can anyone help please?

PXL_20220502_190910671.jpgPXL_20220502_171143384.jpg

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If seen my HDD disappear on a couple of occasions over the past few years. My cure has been a complete cold boot which has restored HDD detection. Put the box into deep standby and then switch off at the mains for a couple of minutes before restoring the mains. The switch off period just allows any internal voltages inside the box to fully discharge.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, thanks, yes I tried that and it didn't resolve it.

Title
    Thanks
    It appears that it was corrupted. I connected it to my pc and formatted it using HDDguru and initialised it back in the HD61 and it seems to work again. For how long I don't know. I've lost all my recordings but at least it's working.

I've got no idea what corrupted it as there was nothing obvious so i can't take any steps to prevent it happening again.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cojones View Post

I've got no idea what corrupted it as there was nothing obvious so i can't take any steps to prevent it happening again.
    Power cut whilst still operating?
    Switching off at the mains before putting the box into deep standby (or waiting for the 30ish seconds before the box finishes going into deep standby)?
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Possibly, but I'm so aware of the risk of cutting power having had a career in IT that I'd be very surprised it's something I've done. I can't remember a recent power cut either. Strange but I've got it working now, so if it happens again I'll know what to do.