Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: TM 5402 M4 - Queries on wifi/3g adapters and software patch vs update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Title
    Thanks

TM 5402 M4 - Queries on wifi/3g adapters and software patch vs update

Hi all

We just bought a TM 5402 M4 (HD) receiver for our summer mobile home - upgrading the old system (TM 1000+ which has lasted fantastically well - brilliant little box) to a bit more newer type. The Linux versions are a bit more advanced for our liking, we tried with the Nano M3 last year and decided that it was a step too far and not for us.

I've a few queries while we are waiting for the delivery of the 5402 M4 and apologies if these were asked before - couldn't find the answers for the specific box.

1) I've seen on the specs that it can be used with Wifi/3G adapters.
    That would be perfect because there is no cable/fibre optic hardwired broadband so no ethernet in the location it will be placed into use and our only option is using a 3G hub or connect to our mobile phones - which is patchy at best anyway.

Would anyone be able to recommend the best type of adapter to use?

I think I saw on another thread someone posted looking for the same for the previous model (M3) but the link has since expired and comes up blank.

Advice much appreciated.

I'm in Ireland if that helps and did a search on a well known electronic retailers (UK/Irl) website to see what's out there on the market. Not sure if I'm allowed to post up the search link I did (re rules?) or if any of these are suitable/what I should be looking for.

If someone could point me in the right direction on what I should be looking for that would be terrific.

2) Official Software updates vs patches.

Which do people recommend? I've noticed there's quite a few updates to do regarding the software regarding both types.

Do people recommend starting with the oldest and work their way through to the latest? Or just start with the latest version?

Should patches be included or just stick with the official updates?

I realise this maybe completely a newbie question to ask but for a non programming people and who want to upgrade but not turn it into a toaster, I'd appreciate some assistance.

3) I've also noticed that the last official update recommends connecting to the internet to access the 7 day EPG.

That will be awkward without the adapters. I have ethernet here in my home but no satellite dish and in the summer-home we have the dish but no ethernet.

Will it work over 3G? Can the update be done here in my home without the dish and then hooked up afterwards to complete?
    Or do I need it connected to the dish?

Sorry for the maybe newbie type of questions, just trying to find out what I need to do.

We had bought the Nano M3 last year but it's so complicated without having it always connected or accessible to a pc and the internet and with lots of updates and having to rescan, and resort out channels _every-time_ an update has been flashed is just ridiculous and time consuming.
    That and not getting more than 2 channels recording at the same time was frustrating. The whole box is frustrating.
    We just want a box that works and no messing. We're on Astra 28.2 as well - no need for other satellites - just FTA.

Thanks in advance

Title
    Thanks
    Re 1) I think I found my answer.

Bit more of googling lead me to see that I need a Chipset: Ralink RT5370 that seem to work with the TM older models and some of the Linux types as well.

Crossing fingers that it is the right chipset before I purchase.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandyboy View Post
    Re 1) I think I found my answer.

Bit more of googling lead me to see that I need a Chipset: Ralink RT5370 that seem to work with the TM older models and some of the Linux types as well.

Crossing fingers that it is the right chipset before I purchase.
    One with a hinged aerial, higher gain (larger than the standard aerial) was recommended by a company and will give them feedback if it works.

2)
    Box received and s/w dated was 1.31 (31 Dec 21) and has now been updated to 1.35 (28 Jan 22). Will only be using official software - I've since discovered the differences and can't re-edit my original title.

I can say that updating the software was a piece of cake compared to the Nano M3 flashing method.

V simple, job done.

Decent screen menu. Looks like it will be a decent box and more suited to our needs than the Nano M3.

It has also internet radio and you tube apps as a bonus!

Title
    Thanks
    Just a quick note for those that might be looking in the future for the wifi-3g addition to the M4 or even the previous model - M3. The adapter I purchased worked. Very easy to set up on a mobile hotspot or cabled broadband wifi or wifi-3g hub.

The Chipset Ralink RT5370 is what you require. Yer welcome!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brandyboy For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (23-04-22),Andy_Hazza (25-04-22)