Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Want to buy a new device, coming from Vu+ HD

Title
    Thanks

Question Want to buy a new device, coming from Vu+ HD

Hi All,

Sorry I'm not sure exactly where to post this as it's such a general question and doesn't seem to fit in any of the specific forum categories.

I've had a Vu+ HD box for about 5 years, supplied through satwise. I recently upgraded to Openvix 6 and am using Xstreamity with no issues and get all channels. It's never been a problem and I've always been happy to subscribe, however I'm now aware that there is superior hardware out there but I simply don't know what's best. I'm looking for all singing, all dancing bells and whistles stuff but I don't know enough about the different brands to be able to choose. I basically want everything I can get currently plus more! Some of my requirements are below, although I'd be keen to hear of any other functions available too, can anyone give me their opinions on what is best please?

• IPTV (openvix, xstreamity, etc)
    • lots of RAM, fast processor
    • lots of storage or able to accept a usb stick or memory card
    • record, timeshift, watch another channel while recording
    • Good EPG
    • Wireless preferred, dual band if possible
    • Decent remote control (universal preferred)
    • Satellite input (at least 1)
    • Low standby power consumption if possible
    • Terrestrial input (optional)

Many thanks for your advice.

Matt

Title
    Thanks
    Do an introduction first and then I'll help you.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmitie View Post
    Do an introduction first and then I'll help you.
    Thanks, done!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cojones For This Useful Post:

bmitie (09-03-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    If you want a good looking (quality) box plus the usual stuff then HD61 (if you can still get one) or the newer Pulse 4K - which I am told is like the HD61 but better remote.
    ... or for price/performance any of the zgemma's that meet your requirements
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

bmitie (09-03-22),cojones (10-03-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Beat me to it. Its the AXHD61 all the way, you can get it via ebay or amazon.de. I have 2 of them. I looked at the pulse and the remote looks ace, better layout. Pulse box looks exactly like the Axhd61. To get DTT I use a sony tv play tuner, again ebay, download driver db700 and bingo, its a dual tuner as well. The remote is in a word, awesome, buttons are small but its omni directional, you can point it behind your head and it stills works!! Pic quality is ace. One thing to note the 2 pin plug is god awful and when you add the uk adaptor it sticks out a mile. Its multiboot so takes 4 images, I like openatv on it and can use native for resolution.

I do not rate the xgemmas and remote is poor, ie needs firm presses or more than once.
    Last edited by bmitie; 09-03-22 at 17:59.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bmitie For This Useful Post:

cojones (10-03-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Excellent, thank you. It looks like a significant upgrade to my vu+. How easy is it to flash with openvix? I bought my vu+ with everything pre-installed so when it came to upgrading to openvix 6, all i had to do was download and flash the image. I'm a bit of a novice with the technical stuff, actually with the troubleshooting when the technical stuff goes wrong!

Title
    Thanks
    I've ordered the HD61 from amazon.de. Thank you for your advice.

Title
    Thanks
    Did you check ebay as well? There are a few things to note. The box has a slot for a micro sd card as well. The box will come with an image loaded, it will be openatv and it will be in slot one or partition one. Openatv is a better image than ... but you like openvix. With openatv image you can flash local or online so in your case, put openvix latest on usb but dont unzip it, I use sandisk cruzer USB and they never fail, have usb formatted to 32 first.

Now you go to the axhd61 thread and have a read. If you are still baffled do a post and I'll give you a step by step. This thread is for a box.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/f...D61-Discussion

Title
    Thanks
    Did you check ebay as well? There are a few things to note. The box has a slot for a micro sd card as well. The box will come with an image loaded, it will be openatv and it will be in slot one or partition one. Openatv is a better image than ... but you like openvix. With openatv image you can flash local or online so in your case, put openvix latest on usb but dont unzip it, I use sandisk cruzer USB and they never fail, have usb formatted to 32 first.

Now you go to the axhd61 thread and have a read. If you are still baffled do a post and I'll give you a step by step. This thread is for a box.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/f...D61-Discussion
    Once you have installed openvix, you can either flash local or online directly any of the main image variations, openViX, openpli, openbh or openatv from their download libraries - giving you an option to test any of the different images.
    Openvix was originally based around openpli and then later openatv took the openvix code as a base.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you. I'm not too attached to openvix, it's just the only thing I know. I'll be happy with anything that will let me run enigma2/xstreamity so I can get all the iptv 'extras' that allowed me to cut the cord originally.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    If you are buying a device just for IPTV, you would be better off with an Android device.

Title
    Thanks
    I do have a satellite feed in my vu+currently, but that only gets FTA channels, I use xstreamity the most so that's a must

Title
    Thanks
    It's arrived!

All set up and working, except for open VPN which doesn't want to connect.

Loving it so far, super speedy

Title
    Thanks
    Beat me to it. Its the AXHD61 all the way...Its multiboot so takes 4 images.
    How can I create a new image, I can see 2 boot images in multiboot but can't seem to find a way to add more, only erase current.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cojones View Post
    How can I create a new image, I can see 2 boot images in multiboot but can't seem to find a way to add more, only erase current.
    Short press Blue button, ViX plugin, ImageManager, yellow button(Download)----> choose image to download (ViX, BH, OpenPli, OpenATV) and then select specific version. then Blue button(flash) , select slot and hit enter.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

cojones (17-03-22)