Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: When I flash latest versson of VIX do I need to use opendownloader for epg?

Title
    Thanks

When I flash latest versson of VIX do I need to use opendownloader for epg?

Helping to set up a box and want to keep it simple. Do I need opendownloader for epg as it appears to populate tv guide when box was started up without it? I turned it on and put it at 12 hours but it has given a message twice in last few hours.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You need to have a usb or hdd setup to store your epg data to and not internal flash

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    OpenTV EPG downloader is a part of ViX image. It is designed to be simple as possible. You do not have to use it although some functions just happen on their own.

it appears to populate tv guide when box was started up without it

What do you mean by the above? What is "It"?

There are various EPG types and acquistions. As examples
    You have Now/Next EIT EPG. Loads EPG into RAM as soon as you select the channels
    You have Freesat EPG, Trickle absorption into RAM when you are on 28.2 services that are also on Freesat. Fast loaded into RAM when you are on the Freesat home transponder
    You have the OpenTV EIT EPG. Absorbed into RAM when on Sky Transponder 11778

All EPG in RAM will be saved to the EPG cache file when restarted/shut down. If you do not use a storage device for the cache file, you will fill up the internal flash memory and crash the box.

If you want to keep things simple, use the EPG downloader.
    See this thread:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?63896-Setting-up-Sky-UK-epg-download

4. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

bmitie (01-04-22)