Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing some satellites after moving house

Title
    Thanks

Missing some satellites after moving house

Hi, I have recently moved house and set up my motorised dish yesterday but I am missing some satellites that used to be available at the old property and was looking for some help to tune them. I have a technomate 2600 motor on a 80cm dish and am trying to tune VU+ Ultimo 4K box running OpenVix 5.4.016 and I’m in the north east uk. The satellites I can still get are Thor 0.8w, Hotbird 13.0e, 19.2e, and 28.2e and they all have a good signal but I am unable to scan Turksat 31.0e, 23.5e, 16.0e, 9.0e, and Hispasat 30.0w. I have tried using the normal scanning methods but the missing satellites don’t show up and for some reason Blind Scan on this image doesn’t do anything after I press Scan Channels. I was wondering if there was a way of manually scanning the satellites into my box. I have had USALS turned on and off but to be honest I have never really understood the procedure for that. Usals is off right now for every satellite and had it turned off when I tuned in the sats I’ve got. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Ultimo4k FBC tuners are not blindscan capable.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Who set the dish up at the new property?

If it has been done correct you should be able to use USALS for all satellites.

Title
    Thanks
    Myself and a friend did it. We aren’t experts but got it somewhere near, I am unable to get hold of a satellite installer to adjust it every one I have tried say they don’t do it anymore. I am getting around 84-85 percent signal strength on the satellites I can get. Would someone be able to explain the procedure to use USALS as I have never actually seen it explained anywhere clearly what you need to do. I have enabled it before on each individual sat I’m tuning in but it doesn’t make any difference apart from I’m not given the option to store a channel position when USALS is enabled. Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Ultimo4k FBC tuners are not blindscan capable.
    Ah that explains that part �� Thank you

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    You don't store positions when USALS is enabled.

Set it up like the attached image. Make sure the coordinates are correct.

Make sure the motor is facing 100% due south.

If you are in the UK select a channel on 1.0W or 5.0W. The motor should turn and stop.

Now adjust the dish clamp east/west until you are receiving maximum signal.

When you select another satellite the dish will automatically move to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (37.3 KB, 9 views)

Title
    Thanks
    When I select the Single / positioner setting my box won’t tune to any of my channel / satellite locations. When I select a different satellite the dish turns as if going to the satellite but then stops and there is no signal received. We set the dish up at Thor 0.8w originally and then I was able to find the other 3 extra satellites I mentioned but USALS was turned off. I can only receive my channels if I have USALS off and the tuner setting is set to advanced. I have 2 tuners connected to the lnb, I had tuner 1 set to advanced and tuner 2 set to Second cable of motorised LNB. Just to be clear does USALS have to be turned on in each satellite setting in Advanced before I go to the Single / Positioner setting?
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Best to start again and do it right.

In my experience, biggest mistake people do when aligning a motorised dish is to scan. Do as mentioned above, configure tuner correctly, select a service near center of arc then align dish. Select another service east and align dish. Slect another service on west, then align dish. You will then be able to select any service on a satellite in between east/west and if you are in reception area, you will receive it.

Title
    Thanks
    Could you please elaborate on Configure tuner correctly. Do I have to have USALS set to ‘on’ in every satellite’s settings yes/no?
    Ok so if I start again I know I can get Thor, I select that first and I get 84 percent signal, the only satellite west of that is Hispasat 30w I am unable to receive it. Going east I can get 13.0, 19.2 then 28.0. The missing sats are in between those locations but don’t show up as I search and Turksat doesn’t show up at all. Dishpointer shows I should be able to receive them ?
    Is there any way I can tweak settings in the box to be able to find the channels?
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    It has been described in post 6. Here is another picture. It is from 2016, so allow for slight wording changes. Make sure you are not in advanced. You must be in simple mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Thanks
    I have seen it described in post 6. What I am asking is Do I have to have USALS turned on in each individual satellite settings that I am trying to tune before I do the procedure described in post 6?

Title
    Thanks
    The sats are not missing, you just cannot tune into them because your dish is not aligned properly. You can fudge your co-ordinates to improve reception. But you really need to do it right.

Please install a channel list and forget scanning for now. That advice was given to you on another forum by a very experienced member across various satellite forums. You will go around in circles if you persist in "scanning".

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by taximonkey View Post
    I have seen it described in post 6. What I am asking is Do I have to have USALS turned on in each individual satellite settings that I am trying to tune before I do the procedure described in post 6?
    Send a screenshot of what you are seeing. Don't waste your time by being in advanced mode. You would not be asking those questions if you are following advice correctly.

Post 10 says:
    Make sure you are not in advanced. You must be in simple mode.

See here if you need it for screenshots:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...o-attach-files

Title
    Thanks
    I followed the advice given on the other forum and replied to it that the channel list I downloaded did not work. It is late now I will take screenshots and post tomorrow
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    It wont work, meaning that you are not locking onto satellites. This is indication that your dish is not aligned correctly. Maybe just a minor error.

This is the way I think works best

Make sure pole/mounts are level.

Setup USALS on receiver. Making sure you do not mix up east/west values and how you enter them.
    Load/install/transfer a channel list
    Send dish/motor to "0"
    Select a channel of your choice
    Adjust assembly so you can view the channel
    Select another channel and tweak again

This is fruitballs guide. Have a read to double check your steps. But please get out of advanced mode.
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?18087-Fruitballs-Motorised-Installtion-Guide

Sweet dreams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast