Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "London Live" on Sky UK provider

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    So Brian you are free to send a pull request (as long as you test first).
    Well I already tried it both in London and outside London.

Adu seems to think it need to be conditional.

How about some further explanation of so I can understand these two thoughts.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    What is end result of what you want to achieve?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    So in London region you want it in its 117 slot. 173 slot is already populated with BBC3.
    For other regions it should drop in 173 if vacant, and BBC3 will be in slot 173.

Is that what happens in testing?
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

BrokenUnusableAccount
    So in London region you want it in its 117 slot. 173 slot is already populated with BBC3.
    For other regions it should drop in 173 if vacant, and BBC3 will be in slot 173.

Is that what happens in testing?
    Yes it is.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    Might as well send a PM then.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Correction "BBC Three" will be in 117.
    But I think that's what you meant.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    I propose the variable should be called "channels_to_add_by_name" should it be re-added.
    Shall I change the name too?
    channels_to_add_by_name does seem like a better name.
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 10-02-22 at 22:56. Reason: spelling

Title
    Thanks
    If you do it, do it as two commits.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

BrokenUnusableAccount
    If you do it, do it as two commits.
    Did you delete the original logic because you were hoping I'd re-do it with different logic?

Title
    Thanks
    I deleted the code that was not being used in the hack section. I believe they call it code rot. We would have added it back when next required.

I have removed the alleged user hack since conditionalising the hack to apply if not in London has been rejected.

I propose the variable should be called "channels_to_add_by_name" should it be re-added.
    Do what you think benefits most people most.

You also have to bear in mind that on an SD lineup, Sky don't really care/need to bother about the numbers for HD channels as the HD channels can't be viewed on SD boxes. It took quite a few years to get the Custom version of HD areas although one of the original suggestions was we add an option for "Custom mode" for Sky providers. Obviously that would mean slight changes to the code in provider files to detect "custom mode" and would need to gradually wean people away from selecting regions ending in "custom" and toggle the option instead. Then the eventual removal of Custom areas. I digress.

Anyway, the way to do what you are working on for BBC Three/London Live is
    Define what you want to achieve. (I asked this in post 32, although most of it is in the first post)
    Remove hacks affecting situation (In this case, the 117 hacks needs to be removed)
    Run ABM for various areas. SD and HD regions. Scotland, Wales, NI and a couple of areas in England. Also RoI
    Tabulate your data, you can then workaround the situation and do what works best.

Which area are you in?

BrokenUnusableAccount
    I deleted the code that was not being used in the hack section. I believe they call it code rot. We would have added it back when next required.

Do what you think benefits most people most.

You also have to bear in mind that on an SD lineup, Sky don't really care/need to bother about the numbers for HD channels as the HD channels can't be viewed on SD boxes. It took quite a few years to get the Custom version of HD areas although one of the original suggestions was we add an option for "Custom mode" for Sky providers. Obviously that would mean slight changes to the code in provider files to detect "custom mode" and would need to gradually wean people away from selecting regions ending in "custom" and toggle the option instead. Then the eventual removal of Custom areas. I digress.

Anyway, the way to do what you are working on for BBC Three/London Live is
    Define what you want to achieve. (I asked this in post 32, although most of it is in the first post)
    Remove hacks affecting situation (In this case, the 117 hacks needs to be removed)
    Run ABM for various areas. SD and HD regions. Scotland, Wales, NI and a couple of areas in England. Also RoI
    Tabulate your data, you can then workaround the situation and do what works best.

Which area are you in?
    Thames Valley (near Reading).

I currently use Thames Valley SD custom with HD swap.
    As far as I remember that is what I was told to use by someone on this board in order to make the main channel numbers be HD when available SD otherwise with extra SD versions in their own sub bouquet numbered from 800.

It's difficult to workaround the situation and do what works best when there is so much undocumented stuff involved.
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 12-02-22 at 19:16.

Title
    Thanks
    The 173 change has been made., I have closed your pull request.

P.S
    When making different changes intended for multiple commits, fork from master branch, not a sub-branch with another change. Yes we can work around it by cherry picking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123