Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Denon X2600h receiver location problem?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Denon X2600h receiver location problem?

Hi Guys

After months of researching speakers and receivers, i have finally set up my home cinema.

Now the issue is that when i got my TV mounted just above my cabinet, i was using a standard soundbar and it did not occur to me that i may want to think about 5.1 set in the future.

And btw this i giant 85inch TV which i had builders wall mount because its too hard for me. (LOL). I had just about enough space to fit this receiver above the cabinet and under the TV.
    There is no space either side of the TV at all. So it has to be under the TV resting on the cabinet. Now looking at the photos i have shown, its not completed blocked off in terms of ventilation.
    Now the photos you are seeing are with the legs removed. There is like a 1.0cm gap now.
    I know you are not supposed to remove the legs but i had no choice in doing so.

Is there a way i can utilize my USB fans and position them to cool the AV receiver to avoid it overheating. Tbh, we dont play anything too loud and the room we are watching is not generally warm. It is quite an open space and its the coldest room in the house.
    But i was not sure where to positon the fans.

Any input will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joysleep1 View Post
    Hi Guys

After months of researching speakers and receivers, i have finally set up my home cinema.

Now the issue is that when i got my TV mounted just above my cabinet, i was using a standard soundbar and it did not occur to me that i may want to think about 5.1 set in the future.

And btw this i giant 85inch TV which i had builders wall mount because its too hard for me. (LOL). I had just about enough space to fit this receiver above the cabinet and under the TV.
    There is no space either side of the TV at all. So it has to be under the TV resting on the cabinet. Now looking at the photos i have shown, its not completed blocked off in terms of ventilation.
    Now the photos you are seeing are with the legs removed. There is like a 1.0cm gap now.
    I know you are not supposed to remove the legs but i had no choice in doing so.

Is there a way i can utilize my USB fans and position them to cool the AV receiver to avoid it overheating. Tbh, we dont play anything too loud and the room we are watching is not generally warm. It is quite an open space and its the coldest room in the house.
    But i was not sure where to positon the fans.

Any input will be appreciated.
    I am not sure you should be worried, the vents have exposure so should be OK e.g. I had a similar Onkyo amp/receiver installed inside our lounge cabinets (rear vents only) with the other gear and that survived without issues.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    An observation

I have a Onkyo AV amp, of similar size to that Denon, sitting on an open (on all sides) glass shelf. There is approx 5 cm of free space above the amp to the next self and the TV sits on a further shelf up (top of unit).

I have the amp wired for 7.1 but operate it normally at fairly low volume. This evening I put a temperature probe on the top of the amp and towards the back where the temperature is the maximum. After approx 5 hours of continuous operation the top of the amp was at 50C. For me this isn't a problem because I have no equipment near enough to the amp to be affected by elevated temperatures.

I would however be a bit wary if I had a LCD TV in close proximity. LCD panels are typically rated at 0 to 50C for operation. If the air at the bottom of the TV is already at 50C from the amp the temperature at the bottom of the panel is likely to be somewhat higher. I would recommend checking the temperature at the physical TV/amp interface after a few hours of operation.

With regard to fans - they can be quite noisy and in a quiet environment spoil your listening enjoyment - try just tuning them on and see how noisy they are. Possibly better to find fans that are specified to run at a low speed and add a series resistor in the power lines so that they run even slower. You don't need that much of a air flow to remove the heat if the fans are placed on top of the AV amp - probably at the back of the amp and behind the TV screen.

In the (distant) past I used a 80mm fan spec'd at 1000rpm and then speed reduced with a series resistor to reduce the temperature of a STB by around 15C - the fan was attached to the top of the case with cable ties and using only the existing ventilation slots in the STBs case.

I would also recommend having some space under the amp for the free flow of air. You may have removed some large feet but consider fitting feet that are smaller. In the past I have used something like

Code:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-61310-Felt-Pads-25/dp/B00DQ7B7PQ/ref=sr_1_8?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&keywords=Furniture+Pads&qid=1643160106&s=diy&sr=1-8&ts_id=1938455031

or

https://tinyurl.com/2p9ef8pc
    which are self adhesive and can be stacked for various heights. This type of pad is readily available in many "pound" type shops.
    Last edited by adm; 26-01-22 at 02:35.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

cactikid (26-01-22)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have an Onkyo amp and when in standby with red light on the heat from it was quite hot and sitting on a lower shelf.

I also think when on it will get hot and what damage may happen to tv?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Get rid of the cabinet and replace it with something lower profile with glass shelves which will give you an extra few inches
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    HI Guys

Thanks for input

Getting rid of the cabinet is out of questions. MUm said no LOL

The fans are not noise at all. They are very slick. I wanted to try find a way to utilze them possibly.
    Anyways, i had it on for about 2 hours yesterday. It was a but warm but not HOT .

I think i will be ok. I then tests putting the fans on the left hand side blowing it. I found it slightly cooler so its working i think.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    An observation

I have a Onkyo AV amp, of similar size to that Denon, sitting on an open (on all sides) glass shelf. There is approx 5 cm of free space above the amp to the next self and the TV sits on a further shelf up (top of unit).

I have the amp wired for 7.1 but operate it normally at fairly low volume. This evening I put a temperature probe on the top of the amp and towards the back where the temperature is the maximum. After approx 5 hours of continuous operation the top of the amp was at 50C. For me this isn't a problem because I have no equipment near enough to the amp to be affected by elevated temperatures.

I would however be a bit wary if I had a LCD TV in close proximity. LCD panels are typically rated at 0 to 50C for operation. If the air at the bottom of the TV is already at 50C from the amp the temperature at the bottom of the panel is likely to be somewhat higher. I would recommend checking the temperature at the physical TV/amp interface after a few hours of operation.

With regard to fans - they can be quite noisy and in a quiet environment spoil your listening enjoyment - try just tuning them on and see how noisy they are. Possibly better to find fans that are specified to run at a low speed and add a series resistor in the power lines so that they run even slower. You don't need that much of a air flow to remove the heat if the fans are placed on top of the AV amp - probably at the back of the amp and behind the TV screen.

In the (distant) past I used a 80mm fan spec'd at 1000rpm and then speed reduced with a series resistor to reduce the temperature of a STB by around 15C - the fan was attached to the top of the case with cable ties and using only the existing ventilation slots in the STBs case.

I would also recommend having some space under the amp for the free flow of air. You may have removed some large feet but consider fitting feet that are smaller. In the past I have used something like

Code:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-61310-Felt-Pads-25/dp/B00DQ7B7PQ/ref=sr_1_8?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&keywords=Furniture+Pads&qid=1643160106&s=diy&sr=1-8&ts_id=1938455031

or

https://tinyurl.com/2p9ef8pc
    which are self adhesive and can be stacked for various heights. This type of pad is readily available in many "pound" type shops.
    Thanks for this. Will look into it

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    I have an Onkyo amp and when in standby with red light on the heat from it was quite hot and sitting on a lower shelf.

I also think when on it will get hot and what damage may happen to tv?
    Tempted to sit a fan blowing the air sideways so it does not rise to the TV.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    HI Guys

Thanks for input

Getting rid of the cabinet is out of questions. MUm said no LOL

The fans are not noise at all. They are very slick. I wanted to try find a way to utilze them possibly.
    Anyways, i had it on for about 2 hours yesterday. It was a but warm but not HOT .

I think i will be ok. I then tests putting the fans on the left hand side blowing it. I found it slightly cooler so its working i think.
    Perhaps invest in a couple of these battery operated temperature probes and leave them in a couple of locations at the top of your amp

Code:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274724622210?hash=item3ff6dd0f82:g:UmYAAOSwZpJgU1bB
    Any heat problem may only be apparent during the summer months when the outside ambient temperature is higher and the sun may be shining through a window.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

joysleep1 (26-01-22)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Perhaps invest in a couple of these battery operated temperature probes and leave them in a couple of locations at the top of your amp

Code:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274724622210?hash=item3ff6dd0f82:g:UmYAAOSwZpJgU1bB
    Any heat problem may only be apparent during the summer months when the outside ambient temperature is higher and the sun may be shining through a window.
    Yh That is true.

OK thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    btw anyone here got 5.1 or 7.1 set ups. Anyone want to share what speakers and subwoofer they got.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    btw anyone here got 5.1 or 7.1 set ups. Anyone want to share what speakers and subwoofer they got.
    Probably of no use to you as most of my set-up is around 20 years old and probably all speakers are no longer in the market place - I'm on my second Onkyo AV amp and that is 10 years old

Left and right front speakers Mission, model 760

All surround speakers (4 off) are small (15 x 16 x10 cm) Wharfdale, model unknown but they don't appear to be a current model on sale.

The subwoofer was a cheap active speaker box, with amplifier (Eltak, Model Atomic A6)
    Code:
    https://tinyurl.com/4v5bypf9
    Front centre speaker is a Jamo Center 100 which has 3 speakers in the box and is physically large. The front of the speaker box is slightly larger as the front of my Onkyo AV amp

The speakers were not purchased at the same time but as my system evolved over the years from stereo
    (I had a stereo decoder box for analogue TV 30sh years ago) to a 3.1, 5.1 and now 7.1. In retrospect, in my opinion, going beyond 5.1. gains you next to nothing.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Probably of no use to you as most of my set-up is around 20 years old and probably all speakers are no longer in the market place - I'm on my second Onkyo AV amp and that is 10 years old

Left and right front speakers Mission, model 760

All surround speakers (4 off) are small (15 x 16 x10 cm) Wharfdale, model unknown but they don't appear to be a current model on sale.

The subwoofer was a cheap active speaker box, with amplifier (Eltak, Model Atomic A6)
    Code:
    https://tinyurl.com/4v5bypf9
    Front centre speaker is a Jamo Center 100 which has 3 speakers in the box and is physically large. The front of the speaker box is slightly larger as the front of my Onkyo AV amp

The speakers were not purchased at the same time but as my system evolved over the years from stereo
    (I had a stereo decoder box for analogue TV 30sh years ago) to a 3.1, 5.1 and now 7.1. In retrospect, in my opinion, going beyond 5.1. gains you next to nothing.

Oh ok interesting.
    I had a look at onkyo but decided denon was better for me due to my height requirement.
    I have the monitor audio R hs 3 channel soundbar with radius 90's as rear.
    Subwoofer is BK gemini 2. really good quality

Still in the process of calibration so not fully set up uet

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    My speakers are Monitor Audio Bronze B4 5.1 set (probably 15 years old and end of production at that time). I did get rid of the subwoofer from that setup (ASW-100) as I felt it was a bit boomy and bought a BK P12-300 in 2015 to replace it. I was also using an Onkyo TX-876S at the time. It had great sound and doubled up as a room heater at it consumed about 500W even when idle! But, it had limited connectivity (network wise) and I ended up replacing it with a Sony DN-1060. I'm happy with the sound and the network and Bluetooth connectivity and the fact that it only consumes about 50W in idle. Still have the Onkyo in its box as I was being offered only silly money for it about four years ago.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

joysleep1 (26-01-22)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    hi if you put your avr on eco it will run a lot cooler

19. The Following User Says Thank You to oscarkyzer For This Useful Post:

cactikid (31-01-22)