Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: picture quality after not as good as TV built in sat tunner

Title
    Thanks

Question picture quality after not as good as TV built in sat tunner

Hello,
    The picture quality on my ET8500 was good at one point but for some reason its changed after the last to image updates and not as good as my inbuilt sat tunner on my samsung smart tv connected to another dish (zone 2) whch is fixed at 28e for FTA?

I have a samsung KS9000 49 inch smart 4k tv

my settings on ET8500 is 60hz, 1080p

on my samsung its in HDR mode

The picture is not as sharp with colours oversaturated compated to my samsung ttv tunner, and my motorised dish is aligned correctly from 10e to 35w, but mosly watch 28.2, 13e, 19,e

What could it be?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIEN1X View Post
    Hello,
    The picture quality on my ET8500 was good at one point but for some reason its changed after the last to image updates and not as good as my inbuilt sat tunner on my samsung smart tv connected to another dish (zone 2) whch is fixed at 28e for FTA?

I have a samsung KS9000 49 inch smart 4k tv

my settings on ET8500 is 60hz, 1080p
    UK broadcast is 50Hz interlaced (i) and not progressive (p)

You may have too many image conversions 50Hz to 60Hz, 1080i to 1080p and then in your TV another conversion to 4k

Try setting your box to what the video standard the broadcaster is using.

My Samsung TV, albeit old, has individual settings for each of the inputs so try configuring the input that the box is connected to for brightness, contrast, colour saturation etc. Often turning off many of the gimmicky features on te TV actually gives a better picture
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    One thing i will ask is how good your hdmi cable is as i have many that give a grainy picture and upgraded to a better one for more clarity.

Title
    Thanks
    my hdmi cable is quite good can handle 4k and had no problems withj other devices.
    I will try and adjust the box to 1080i 50hz, turn of HDR+ on tv for that hdmi channel try to adjust the colour, bright ness etc on that input channel.

If that dose not improve, then I will try and connect iot to my fixed zone2 dish and see if that has any affect.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ALIEN1X For This Useful Post:

cactikid (14-01-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    It's more likely to be HDR vs SDR mode or some issue with the conversion. As @adm says in post #2 - broadcast TV in europe is 50Hz interlaced for standard SD and HD transmissions.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    I have improved the picture now and nearly as good as my tv sat tunner, but thats when its set to 1080p 60hz and with HDR on?
    I will try some more tweeks and will try colour callibration under colour space settings

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ALIEN1X For This Useful Post:

cactikid (14-01-22)

Title
    Thanks
    I have also changed it to 1080i at 50hz. However its better then when I started the tweeks but not better than the tv sat tunner like it used to be but very close.
    Could be down t colour space callibration.