Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recordings Files

Title
    Thanks

Recordings Files

Hi

This is really an information request. I am trying to understand the various files used for a single recording generated from my GigaBlue OpenVix receiver. It has come about as I am starting to move files from the space limited SSD to my network media storage folders.

I have used the move function and then checked it in the network folder I moved it to to see that the single line entry had become a 6 file collection as shown:

Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 01.27.06.png

I know that the .ts file is a transport stream file (although my Mac tries to interpret it as a translation file!) but what are the other 5 files for and can they be deleted once the move has been done?

I can see this collection as a single line in Kodi but does Kodi (and OpenVix) need the other 5 files to function properly?

If I want to run the .ts file direct from the finder folder, what media players can I use other than Kodi?

Geoff
    Geoff
    Gigablue UHD UE 4K receiver
    GigaBlue Ultra Unicable SCR-LNB / 24 SCR - 2 Legacy UHD 4K LNB
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    The ts.meta file is the meta data. It's a text file and contains the data about which service it was recorded on, the description, the time of the recording, any tags associated with it and a few other things (such as the duration...)
    The other files include data to help things such as skip forward/backward and marks, although I forget (or have never known) which contains what.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

GeoffatMM (10-01-22)

BrokenUnusableAccount
    I'm not sure what OpenViX and kodi need/use, but most "play anything" type players on Windows (VLC, MPV, MPHC+CCCP etc.) will play the .ts file on its own reasonably well.

Seeking around to different points in the file can be inaccurate, particularly near the end, and the total playback time of the file can be displayed incorrectly.

Presumably OpenViX uses one/some of the extra files to fix the seeking problems.

To avoid the seeking problems you need to convert the .ts to something designed for playback.
    This doesn't necessarily mean a slow transcoding operation, you could just convert from a trasnport stream to a program stream or a MP4, MKV or whatever without transcoding.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BrokenUnusableAccount For This Useful Post:

GeoffatMM (10-01-22)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Willo
    #######################
    AX HD61 4K UHD Twin (test box)
    Vu+ Uno 4K SE
    Edision OS Mio 4K
    Zgemma H9 Twin
    Vu+ Zero 4K
    Vu+ Uno 4K
    GT-Sat GT-S3DCSS24 Unicable II LNB
    GT-Sat GT-dLNB1-DY Unicable II LNB
    #######################

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

GeoffatMM (10-01-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the rapid response. Will investigate further and try some available players. VLC did not work very well. I changed .ts to .mpeg but the QuickTime Player still would not recognise it. I can convert via Pineapple or similar but that is a hassle.

Best solution looks to be to setup the new storage location on my various Kodi installations and view them that way. The Kodi player is much improved over the last few years.

Anyway, once again I appreciate the immediate and good response from other members.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    When moving files (there is a copy option as well), the blue button when watching live tv tells you its progress.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffatMM View Post
    Thanks all for the rapid response. Will investigate further and try some available players. VLC did not work very well. I changed .ts to .mpeg but the QuickTime Player still would not recognise it. I can convert via Pineapple or similar but that is a hassle.
    vlc has always played the *.ts file for me.
    Renaming it to mpeg may not be useful at all as it could be (is?) an mp4 file. Changing the name should have no effect on the ability of any program to play it as what matters is the actual file (internal) content not its (external) name ("A rose by any other name...").
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    Thanks Willo that is clear.

Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 881 Posts
    I would echo what @birdman says about vlc - it should play .TS files without issue (certainly on MS and on linux - don't know about Mac). Sometimes it selects the 1st audio track so you end up with NAR (narrative) over the soundtrack, but you just select the 2nd track in that case.

The additional files (meta, cuts etc.) are reasonably small and I have found them useful when playing back a file on Vix that I stored on my NAS years ago as it helps jog my memory with the original recording details and meta info about the programme and of course you can navigate easily to any point in the programme with the standard remote that you use for your Vix box. I have a lot of music programmes (mostly BBC4 and Sky Arts) that I've archived over the years and it's great to be able to play them again on a familiar interface. Kodi, on my media player also handles the .TS files well and even shows the programme metadata and navigates ok.

I take it that your network HDD on the Mac is behaving properly now?
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry for delay but I have had some issues.

First though, an update. I have set up Kodi to view the files over the LAN at the new location and that is working well. Current network is Powerline backhaul for WiFi so not always dependable but the new house will have ethernet backhaul throughout and will be better. The HDD hanging off the Mac is working fine. So I am now happy with the setup.

Issue 1.

Having sorted the files and access, I started to notice some strange behaviour with recordings on the receiver played back on the TV connected over HDMI. It does not occur with all recordings and so far I cannot see why it should happen on some not others. I don't know if the logs would help?

It is really annoying! I start playing back a recording and it seems fine but then, of its own volition it switches from full screen to the list of recordings with the recording still playing but now in the smaller window. After a while it then reverts to the full screen. Then back to the list, Then back to the screen. etc. I lose all control of the receiver which does not respond to the remote control and the only way to stop it is to cut the cord and reboot the machine with the on/off switch. It is completely reproducible. Every time I try to play the recording the same thing happens.

The only change I have made recently (as part of sorting the files for the recordings) was to upgrade to the latest image 6.0.006 (direct from 6.0.003) so it could be to do with that.

Interestingly, when I watch the same recording over Kodi, it works without a problem! Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions please?

Issue 2.

As a result of having to reboot the receiver, recordings that were in progress restarted but in a separate file. After three reboots some of these recordings are in four separate files. however, they all show the same meta data and there is no obvious way to see which was first to get the order right (accepting that there is a missing section for each reboot).

Is there a way to drill down to see which order they should be played in? I can work it out by comparing file sizes and timings over an ftp link but is it possible to do it through Vix direct?
    Last edited by GeoffatMM; 11-01-22 at 23:05.
    Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    Thanks
    I think this must be an issue with the latest update? I flashed back to 6.0.003 and all worked properly. I have now moved up to 6.0.004 and again it works fine. I will leave it on version 4 for now until I get some response on the issue.
    Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    Thanks
    It is really annoying! I start playing back a recording and it seems fine but then, of its own volition it switches from full screen to the list of recordings with the recording still playing but now in the smaller window. After a while it then reverts to the full screen. Then back to the list, Then back to the screen. etc.
    This would happen if you pressed List then Exit on the remote.
    Do you have any other remotes in the room that the receiver responds to?
    (the debug log would tell you whether it thought it had received such key presses.)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Birdman,

The remote is not touched other than to press OK to start the recording. There are no other controllers (I have experimented with both the Gigablue and e2 remote apps on my iPhone but neither were running at the time.

If I have flashed the box, will the error logs still be available? I think they are on the HDD not the flash memory so I will take a look. If I find them, should I post them?

PS:

I have looked on the root of the HDD but there are no crash logs there. I checked the box and it is set to /home/root as the default so there are no historic logs available. I have reset it to /media/hdd but not yet turned on the debug logs. Should I enable the debug?

I will try (probably over the weekend) to refresh to version 6, check the logs are in the right location, turn on debug and try to see if I can replicate the issue. If I can and cannot see what his happening in the logs, I will post them here to see if anyone else can help.

finally, as I think this might be an issue with the latest version, should this thread (or at least the last part of it) be moved elsewhere in the forum?

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffatMM; 13-01-22 at 09:19. Reason: Log location
    Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    Thanks
    I have looked on the root of the HDD but there are no crash logs there. I checked the box and it is set to /home/root as the default so there are no historic logs available. I have reset it to /media/hdd but not yet turned on the debug logs. Should I enable the debug?
    Yes.
    And you'd need to look at the log as the issue happens to see whether the box is reacting to a KeyPress event.
    Or (better) in the menu where you turn debug logs on (Menu -> Setup -> System -> Logs -> Settings) and change "Debug log time format" to be "boot time and local time" (the restart enigma2). Then just remember teh time the issue is seen and compare it with the log entries around that time.

finally, as I think this might be an issue with the latest version, should this thread (or at least the last part of it) be moved elsewhere in the forum?
    Just leave it here.

Title
    Thanks
    OK will do. Thanks.
    Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast