Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: SSD SATA Storage device not showing

Title
    Thanks

SSD SATA Storage device not showing

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Zgemma H7S I have flashed build 6.0.006 (Release) or openvix-6.0.006.release-zgemmah7_recovery_emmc.zip via USB successfully.

My device has an external 2.5" SATA port which I have inserted a 512GB SSD that I have successfully initialized via openatv 6.0.

After flashing OpenVix the SSD device is no longer visible.

I have inserted the disk into my PC and repartitioned to NTFS but it was still not visible, so I formatted the drive as EXT3 and EXT4 using DiskGenius but it still was not visible.

I have two of these SSD both work without issue in Windows but will not show in OpenVix.

My Kingston 128GB is showing via the back USB and will initialize and has successfully mounted.

Please see the below link for the SSD I am using.

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/hard-drives/1805808

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    So I have plugged the SSD into the USB 3.0 port on the device using a SATA to USB adapter.

The SSD has successfully initialized and mounted.

This is telling me something is up with my STA port, I might flash openatv again to confirm or is there something else I can try?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whellboi View Post
    Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Zgemma H7S I have flashed build 6.0.006 (Release) or openvix-6.0.006.release-zgemmah7_recovery_emmc.zip via USB successfully.

My device has an external 2.5" SATA port which I have inserted a 512GB SSD that I have successfully initialized via openatv 6.0.

After flashing OpenVix the SSD device is no longer visible.

I have inserted the disk into my PC and repartitioned to NTFS but it was still not visible, so I formatted the drive as EXT3 and EXT4 using DiskGenius but it still was not visible.

I have two of these SSD both work without issue in Windows but will not show in OpenVix.

My Kingston 128GB is showing via the back USB and will initialize and has successfully mounted.

Please see the below link for the SSD I am using.

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/hard-drives/1805808

Thanks
    Have you installed the ntfs drivers in OpenViX??
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

whellboi (07-01-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Have you installed the ntfs drivers in OpenViX??
    No I am not to familiar with OpenVix or openatv but I was thinking it might be a driver issue. I just installed ntfs-3g (1.0r0) via downloadable plugins this has resolved my issue.

Thank you very much

Title
    Thanks
    Okay I am not having good luck the Storage option has disappeared in Setup again.

I have uninstall the ntfs-3g (1.0r0) driver rebooted the box and the Storage option has appeared again

I can access the disk now but I imagine it might disappear again.

I disabled standby maybe when the disk goes to sleep the box doesn't see it and the storage option disappears? Not sure but this doesn't explain why the box does not detect the disk upon boot.
    Last edited by whellboi; 07-01-22 at 23:53.

Title
    Thanks
    The HDD has disappeared again. If there any info I can provide to help resolve the issue? Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    So what format is the SSD???
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

Title
    Thanks
    So what format is the SSD???
    Ext4 the box successfully initialised the HDD via the SATA port and mounted the disk last night, but now this morning after powering on the box the disk has disk disappeared.

I have rebooted the box several times but I can still not see the HDD.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Menu/Information/Devices is an easy way of seeing what's detected.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

whellboi (08-01-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Menu/Information/Devices is an easy way of seeing what's detected.
    Detected devices is empty.

Is the box faulty or is my SSD not compatible?

Title
    Thanks
    OK read all your posts
    Not enough power to keep the device active.
    You will see numerous posts where users have issues with non-powered hdd etc depending on usb power from the box
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    OK read all your posts
    Not enough power to keep the device active.
    You will see numerous posts where users have issues with non-powered hdd etc depending on usb power from the box
    What is the power output of the SATA port do you know? I cannot find it online or in the manual.

The SSD I am using is 5V I believe they all are 5V I have another Kingston SSD that is 5V 1A. the PSU for the box is 3A 12V.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whellboi View Post
    What is the power output of the SATA port do you know? I cannot find it online or in the manual.

The SSD I am using is 5V I believe they all are 5V I have another Kingston SSD that is 5V 1A. the PSU for the box is 3A 12V.
    Maybe I am reading this wrong so its connected internally via a SATA to usb connection? I have read there are 2 internal connction possibilities one works one doesn‘t
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Maybe I am reading this wrong so its connected internally via a SATA to usb connection? I have read there are 2 internal connction possibilities one works one doesn‘t
    Sorry maybe I am not explaining myself correctly. This box has an external SATA port so you slot the SDD into the back of the box you do not need to open and mount the SDD inside the box.

I was also troubleshooting with a SATA to USB adapter it will work but the on-board ATA bus or SATA port is failing to detect the SSD.

Title
    Thanks
    Okay so I got a mechanical HDD during boot it is failing to power up, it works as I have tested it in a Windows PC.

I am going to open a case with the manufacture and seller.

Thanks everyone for their help