Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Vix User Interface (not Installation) Guide

Title
    Thanks

Vix User Interface (not Installation) Guide

Hi,

Before I launch into a series of simple questions, is there a user guide for the interface? I have read the installation guide ver. 1.1 but it treads lightly on most user issues.

Throughout the forum there are lots of useful snippets but they are only found by chance. The problem is I do not know what I do not know.

As an example, I have spent some time this afternoon researching the question of collecting series recordings (generated by an AutoTimer) into a single folder (As per Humax or Sky). However, I am still unsure if I can do this direct in the Vix interface or if I need to upload a plugin and if the latter which is the best. Interestingly, the Kodi interface takes the Vix/Enigma data and sorts the same programmes into a folder for me. I had assumed it would also be automatic in Vix but it appears not. I have sorted alphabetically so that the programmes are at least grouped but this will only work until I run out of screen space.

So, is there a guide I can read through or do I just load my questions to the forum please?

Geoff
    Geoff
    Gigablue UHD UE 4K receiver
    GigaBlue Ultra Unicable SCR-LNB / 24 SCR - 2 Legacy UHD 4K LNB
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    In movielist, select menu/settings and set enable automatic collections to on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

GeoffatMM (21-11-21)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    There is an option to 'Enable automatic collections' in the settings option in the movie list.
    This option is virtual and only shows the recordings in separate folders in the ViX interface.

To actually put recordings into separate folders there is a plugin by Grog called Movie Organisor (I know he spelt it wrong).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

cactikid (22-11-21),GeoffatMM (21-11-21)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    In movielist, select menu/settings and set enable automatic collections to on.
    You can also create your own folders/directories, bookmark them, and then set your autotimers to save recordings directly into them.
    Last edited by ccs; 21-11-21 at 16:13.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks both, that works as I would like it thanks. Why is it not the default (not that it matters, I am just interested).

I did see that message earlier in one of the forums but could not find movielist! Worked out you mean the list of movies (recordings) which I access via the Video button on my rempote. Judging by your answers I guess there is no guide available and I will post the questions in the forums when I cannot work them out.
    Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Willo, I have gone through all of those but they are limited in their content. If there is not a guide, is there anywhere a listing of the menu commands with information on what each option does? Users could then search that for answers. It must exist somewhere or no-one would know how to code the programme. Is it not possible to make a living version of this document available to users(that is, one that is kept up to date for each new version as any changes occur? Actually just thinking about controlling the editing is making my head spin!

G
    Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    ... most options indicate what they do, and what their defaults are. Your remote probably has a help key which gives lots of detail.

If you're really that worried, take an image backup, have a wander round the setup, make changes, see if it does what you expect, and you can always get back to where you were by reflashing the backup.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

GeoffatMM (22-11-21)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffatMM View Post
    Thanks Willo, I have gone through all of those but they are limited in their content. If there is not a guide, is there anywhere a listing of the menu commands with information on what each option does? Users could then search that for answers. It must exist somewhere or no-one would know how to code the programme. Is it not possible to make a living version of this document available to users(that is, one that is kept up to date for each new version as any changes occur? Actually just thinking about controlling the editing is making my head spin!

G
    ... and considering that building and maintaining the image is a full time job in itself without documenting everything, and all done for free by people who have their own lives and jobs to contend with!
    If you press the help button on the remote it will give you a bit of guidance on what the buttons do.
    Pressing 'menu' in different screens will also give a range of options.
    After 6 years I'm still finding new things (to me) in the interface every day.
    Start off by pressing the number buttons when viewing the grid EPG for an example

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

GeoffatMM (22-11-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffatMM View Post
    Thanks both, that works as I would like it thanks. Why is it not the default (not that it matters, I am just interested).

I did see that message earlier in one of the forums but could not find movielist! Worked out you mean the list of movies (recordings) which I access via the Video button on my rempote. Judging by your answers I guess there is no guide available and I will post the questions in the forums when I cannot work them out.
    Also remember that Openvix can be installed on boxes from a dozen different manufactures often with slightly different remote controls. You get to the list of recordings by pressing the "video" button while on my remote I have to press the "list" button. Bear this in mind when reading some replies.

Do you have a help button on your remote? On my box the help button brings up a picture of the remote control on the TV screen with a description of what each button does and where the description is clickable to take you to that function.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (13-12-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks. No clear help button and no clear English manual so at the moment I will follow your suggestion to just experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    The F1 button on the GigaBlue remote should function as Help.

OpenPLi have a Wiki, vast majority applies across all E2 distros.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

GeoffatMM (22-11-21)

Title
    Thanks
    the F1 and option button on gigablue uhd quad 4k also brings up remote controle help.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to urie For This Useful Post:

GeoffatMM (23-11-21)