Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unicable Settings and Tuning Issues

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    You are missing details that are being given to you. Slow down, one thing at a time. You will get there.

Willow3092 posted screenshots/descriptions for you. You also posted in the thread with instructions which you need to follow with slight adjustments for your make/model.

It is going to be easy if you keep things simple and one at a time. I'd rather you get your tuner config correct first. It is fundamental. Rest of it will fall in place.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...0PP-FBC-tuners

You already posted in the guide for setting it up. His LNB had 32 SCR, yours has 4. Configure your first 4 tuners as per guide, leave the rest as FBC AUTOMATIC.

A
    SCR =1
    Connected = no

B
    SCR =2
    Connected = yes
    Connected to A

C
    SCR = 3
    Connected = Yes
    Connected to A

D
    SCR = 4
    Connected = Yes
    Connected to A

E to H
    Leave as FBC automatic. This is because all of your SCRs are in use.

Make/model will have to be entered too. Once you have done that we can do next stage.

I think it might be better for you to state what is confusing on the guide so I can make it clearer. I have been editing it as we go along with various people who are confused/annoyed by complexity.

Some of the terms are confusing because they mean different things in different contexts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

GeoffatMM (17-11-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Abu,

That is now set up. B using advanced and C and D using FBC SCR. Each set to individual scr.

Where is a link to the guide as it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Geoff
    Gigablue UHD UE 4K receiver
    GigaBlue Ultra Unicable SCR-LNB / 24 SCR - 2 Legacy UHD 4K LNB
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffatMM View Post
    Where is a link to the guide as it is?
    Guide to configuring lnb is here, Note post 2.
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...0PP-FBC-tuners

Hopefully, that is your configuration correct. Correct = match hardware hooked up to tuner/s

My advice has been continuation of theme of other advice given to avoid confusion. Your LNB has a unicable output and two legacy inputs. I am assuming that you are not using the legacy/universal outputs and no other receivers are accessing the LNB. I had asked for a sketch so I do not assume.

Please start your scanning thread for scanning issues if there is a problem. I would suggest you stick with manual scan and not use plugins like ABM while you are in trialling mode. All 4 "tuners" should yield same results.

Manual scan, single satellite, 28.2, choose tuner, no to network.

Title
    Thanks
    OK Abu, many thanks.

I will review the guide in the context of my recent experience.

I will carry out the manual scans and report back.

So, selected tuner one at a time.
    Predefined transponder.
    Sat 28.2.
    Transponder leave as is.
    Network No.
    Clear No
    Only Free. No(?). Is this to limit it to FTA channels or something else?

As clear is set to No these scans will not affect existing listings, is that right? Will it create duplicates or is Vix intelligent enough to sort that out?

I will wait for your response before starting.

If this yields any problems I will start a new thread as suggested.

Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Change "predefined transponder" to "single satellite" otherwise you will just scan a single transponder. Dont worry about duplicates.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (18-11-21)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    No it should not create duplicates. Use "Predefined transponder" and network "yes".
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Once you confirm all 4 tuners receive the same number of services, you can forget manual scan and just use ABM (which you are already using). ABM scans/reads the data table, adds services to your receiver and also creates bouquets.

The purpose of scanning on all 4 tuners is to prove everything is working fine. Under normal usage, there isn't a need to scan on all tuners. Please refer to screenshot for my advice which I have given to help you. You don't have to follow it. Using the attached options you should get 850+ services. If you use different options, you may get something else.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

GeoffatMM (17-11-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Abu. I will use your settings.

Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    Thanks
    All done. 866 channels on each tuner. I had a stream going to my phone C and D both initially came back with errors but when I closed the stream down they both tuned OK.

ABM has refreshed and appear to be working OK.

What is the next step?

Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    Thanks
    Hopefully that is your tuner configuration done. When you get your LNB with more SCR, you will have to hook it up exactly as you have done with this one, set all the tuners so they have an SCR associated to them. Hopefully you should be comfortable with unicable now. Wiring as well as tuner configuration. You should be able to plan your house modernisation based on that understanding.

That should be your tuner configuration completed.

With regards to scanning:
    As you are using ABM, just use that. You do not need to perform a manual scan or automatic scan. Hopefully you have scheduled it to run regaulalry. Once a week should be fine. If you hit an issue, you can manually run ABM.
    Video guide to ABM is here
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...-using-OpenViX

Optional temporary changes for you to consider.

As you have universal ports unused, you could hook up one of them and use it. That will obviously involve a wire from dish to receiver. (You won't need it in the future when you get your new LNB).

Hook up universal LNB to tuner/socket B. No splitters, must be direct from LNB to Receiver
    In tuner configuration, set B as: Simple, single , 28.2

As you have now freed an SCR on the LNB.
    Set tuner E as unicable. SCR will be 2 (the one freed up from B). Connected = yes, E will be connected to A (the one with unicable wire)

Next Step:
    EPG is separate to bouquets. Have you sorted the acquisition of EPG? There are several ways. One is as per this thread.
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...K-epg-download

Please do not post non-tuner related questions in this thread. It will help others looking for solutions if threads are specific to titles.

Next Step 2
    Add picons. See here: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...-your-receiver

14. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

GeoffatMM (18-11-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks again Abu.

I appreciate your support and patience. I will work through these next steps and start a separate thread if I encounter difficulties.

Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Abu,

Thanks for the guide link. I had started from that thread when I posted this issue and see that more of a forum thread than a guide. I thought you would be developing a guide along the lines of (e.g.) an annex to the manual version 1.1 (which also probably could do with refreshing [and expanding]).

The forum threads are helpful for the examples and explanations they give but they do not always fully explain why things are done and a guide would do that. Is there a mechanism to draft a guide for peer review that is outside the public scrutiny of the forum? A wiki for example? If there is, I would like to try to generate something that would help others like me that are new to this technology and need a fuller understanding. Doing it publicly on the forum would possibly lead to confusion for new users as it is developed. I now understand your distinction between tuning and scanning and would limit my attempt to tuning only.

I can't promise anything fast (building takes priority!) but I would be prepared to devote some of my free time to doing it.

If you think the community would find this helpful, please let me know.
    Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Abu,

I would like to return to this issue wrt the development of my new home wiring. I thought unicable was meant to deliver the full band of signal to each output by simply splitting it at the splitter or switch. If this is the case, why was it necessary to link the unicable direct to the tuner?

It is important as I had planned to go from the LNB to all rooms on a single cable splitting off at each one as I reach them. For minimum cabling I planned my cabling path as:

:LNB to GTL/ETEL (Obligatory dedicated electrical cupboard for incoming electrical and communication connections for all new homes in France) split to device 1 (VBox):
    :GTL/ETEL to kitchen split to device 2 (TV outlet with accompanying RJ45 connection, also obligatory in each room under French regulations):
    : Kitchen to Master bedroom split to device 3 (Outlet):
    :Master Bedroom to Study split to device 4 (Outlet):
    :Study to Bedroom 2 split to device 5 (Outlet):
    :Bedroom 2 to Lounge split to devices 6, 7 and 8 (Outlets for smart TV, satellite tuner [2]):
    :Lounge to Courtyard split to device 9 (external smart TV for summer):
    :Courtyard to Garage/Man-Cave terminating with device 10: (Outlet for ejected husband/testing purposes)

Are you saying that the tuner really needs a direct unicable feed prior to splitting? If so it sort of destroys the concept of unicable doesn't it?

What I do not understand is why the tuner would not work after the splitter (well it worked but only gave 10 channels) but the smart TV worked on the same split cable and brought down all the programmes.

As I asked earlier, is it the quality of the splitter that needs upgrading to enable this daisy chain or series connection layout to work or something else? Or should I be using a centralised, powered multi-switch with a star configuration (i.e., from the central GTL/ETEL to each device with a separate cable?

I appreciate you may not know the answer to all this but perhaps you can point me to someone that does?
    Geoff
    OpenVix 6.0.007 Image
    110cms Triax Dish
    Updated 04/02/2022

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    My unicable goes directly into the loft and into an 8-way splitter.
    It is then distributed on a single cable to each room.
    If you need 2 feeds at the receiver end then you can put a 2-way splitter on the end of the feed. (for standard tuners).

I linked to the WoS unicable LNB/Splitter page in an earlier post.
    I think Abu suggested running the cable direct to your receiver without a splitter to prove that the splitter wasn't faulty.

Unicable.jpg

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

GeoffatMM (18-11-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Your plan should work. You can split as you go along. You only need one wire to a socket on an FBC matrix.

With regards to your original setup. Draw a diagram. There may be confusion as to where each cable was going. Remember, you only have 4 SCR on your LNB. Decide how many you want to assign to the vbox and how many to the Gigablue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast