Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Bought dream TV... heart broken... Sony my Arse.

Title
    Thanks

Angry Bought dream TV... heart broken... Sony my Arse.

Jeez I can't feckin believe it.
    I finally took the plunge, dumped my old LG tv and bought a be-all and end-all Sony Bravia television.. Android, WhatHifi award winner.. the works.

And now I find out... the stupid thing has a really crap EPG.. AND worst of all.. it can't pause live tv ??

Damn and blast.

I had to replace the LG cos it got a bad case of the well know blue'itis... and cos it has a number of really irritating quirks...
    (like sporadically restarting itself and corrupting the USB drive for recording)

And I thought .. to hell with it.. its covid times and we don't go out much ... so lets treat ourselves...

So I bought a Sony KD-55XH9005... which looked beautiful in the shop of course...

But I was worried they couldn't show me in-store what it looked like with live tv.. and my fears were obviously well founded.

I don't use sky or any other box.. I was relying on this tv having digital (saorview) tuner and satellite tuners...
    And it does.. but boy does it look half done...

The saorview tuner works ok.. the EPG does appear to be functional...

But for free to air Satellite the EPG is only sporadically populated.. some channels show you now and next.. the rest.. nothing...
    And no showing tomorrow or anything useful like that..

When I had the LG I was able to solve that problem by setting up a UK postcode in it.. but with this stupid thing there appears to be no way to change the location.. it registers the TV via your gmail account.. and thats your lot...

I got recording set up using an external USB drive and thats ok.. but not much use if I can't look forward to see what programmes are available to record ...doh.

With the LG, once I connected a recording drive I was able to pause the live TV .. but not with this yoke.. FFS

Sony me Arse...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vidapura View Post
    I finally took the plunge, dumped my old LG tv and bought a be-all and end-all Sony Bravia television.. Android, WhatHifi award winner.. the works.

And now I find out... the stupid thing has a really crap EPG.. AND worst of all.. it can't pause live tv ??

Damn and blast.

I had to replace the LG cos it got a bad case of the well know blue'itis... and cos it has a number of really irritating quirks...
    (like sporadically restarting itself and corrupting the USB drive for recording)

And I thought .. to hell with it.. its covid times and we don't go out much ... so lets treat ourselves...

So I bought a Sony KD-55XH9005... which looked beautiful in the shop of course...

But I was worried they couldn't show me in-store what it looked like with live tv.. and my fears were obviously well founded.

I don't use sky or any other box.. I was relying on this tv having digital (saorview) tuner and satellite tuners...

But for free to air Satellite the EPG is only sporadically populated.. some channels show you now and next.. the rest.. nothing...

When I had the LG I was able to solve that problem by setting up a UK postcode in it.. but with this stupid thing there appears to be no way to change the location.. it registers the TV via your gmail account.. and thats your lot...

I got recording set up using an external USB drive and thats ok.. but not much use if I can't look forward to see what programmes are available to record ...doh.

With the LG, once I connected a recording drive I was able to pause the live TV .. but not with this yoke.. FFS

Sony me Arse...

Hey

I have the slightly better model. The 85XH9505. I really didnt bother using the tuners on the TV becuase a regular freeview box will be far superior. Just purchase a simple enigma 2 receiver which will have everything you need and will work perfectly.
    (SONY make impeccable TVs and it is far better than the LG (non oleds) .)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to joysleep1 For This Useful Post:

Aust-VAST (24-11-22)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I made the mistake of getting a Sony TV a few years ago. Never again. When any other Sony equipment was hooked up to it the whole setup became unstable. Either the TV would restart randomly or the bluray player would lock up. It seemed happy enough with non-sony gear but not with its own brand. The TV is out in the shed now and just used for zwift during the winter. Needless to say I have no sony gear now except for a PS4. My LG TV will do for a while until I upgrade to an OLED.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joysleep1 View Post
    Hey

I have the slightly better model. The 85XH9505. I really didnt bother using the tuners on the TV becuase a regular freeview box will be far superior. Just purchase a simple enigma 2 receiver which will have everything you need and will work perfectly.
    (SONY make impeccable TVs and it is far better than the LG (non oleds) .)
    Sony LCD TV used Samsung panels.
    Sony OLED TVs use LG panels.

The few sony items I've owned over the years always seem to have a quirky or poor graphical user interface. They seem to have their own way of doing everything and seldom is it world leading.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vidapura View Post

Damn and blast.

Sony me Arse...
    The EPG comes from the broadcaster. In mainland UK Freeview is a group of Free to Air terestrial channels where any box branded Freeview can recieve a 7 day over the air EPG. (Engima boxes running OpenVix can also obtain the over the air 7 day Freeview EPG).

Again in the UK Freesat is a group of Free to Air satellite channels where any box branded Freesat can recieve a 7 day over the air EPG (Engima boxes running OpenVix can also obtain the over the air 7 day Freesat EPG). Any box branded Sky can recieve Sky's 7 day EPG - Engima boxes running OpenVix can also obtain the over the air 7 day Sky FTA EPG but have to tune into the Sky IEPG channel for, say, 10 minutes each day to do so. On an Enigma box this task can be automated.

Enigma boxes also have the abiliy to obtain the 7 day EPG via the internet.

Without the ability (or without a licence to decode) the FTA satellite EPG will only have a now/next EPG. If the channels are encypted and you would nomally require a subscription to view them then the EPG maybe balnk.

You actually purchased a TV and not a PVR but the Sony Bavia manual says that it can pause live tv.
    Last edited by adm; 16-11-21 at 12:58.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

vidapura (16-11-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I also bought the Sony 55" oled and love it but tried using the tuners on sat and never found what i was looking for so hooked up Zgemma H7S for viewing and recording.
    Also got Saorview on tv in case box was recording a different channel.
    I have not found a use for timeshift so not bothered in setting it up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

vidapura (16-11-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Well, I finally figured out how to set the country to UK to get the freeview EPG on the satellite.. so now I get 7 days and can setup recordings etc.
    And I have the country set to Ireland for the Saorview and I get the 7 day EPG for that too..
    So, thats something at least.

The timeshift is a non-runner so I'm still disgusted with that.
    It was soo handy when one of the kids would kick up or when someone on the tv said something I didn't quite catch...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    As regarding timeshift did you have twin sat feeds connected to allow recording on the other tuner.
    Was just curious .

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Commiserations' from Australia regarding the Sony.

We have always used Sony gear, HT, TV's, RCU (the best RM-VLZ620 on the planet).

Two years ago I finalised State Government funding of 900K$ AUD (£510,266 GBP) for a new fire station in our village and secured an emergency service grant for 10K$ AUD with a partial fit-out of the new facility.

I optioned for a 65" Sony from my IT wholesaler: FWD65X80G 65" ENTRY LEVEL QFHD Enterprise Android from the grants of $1450/ £822 GBP.

Sad device, the o/s is slow, very slow, locks at times and the tuner is deaf, so much so with an 96ele array + LNA on the building roof ridge, some TP's are difficult to watch. Picture quality is fair.

Contrast; I was browsing in our local general store "BIG-W" it is called in Australia, part of the Woolworths chain and the tech section is worth a pass, where there was an unboxed, six month old, display 55" Sony KD-55X7000G, January '22, so like you our family hasn't had a holiday for years and our young Son had never experienced the Sea, so I bought it and it just fitted in the back of our Pajero 5 door 4WD. It arrived home and went on our wall bracket totally blemish free !

The latter is Linux, boots in a jiffy, smooth response times, great display, fair economy, and was $650 AUD reduced ($499 AUD/ £289 GBP buying price).

FYI: Australia is fitting out Emergency services' to deal with the complex range of Climate Change risks we are facing, in our area Fire is an event which has burnt in 2019/ 2020 for four months continuously in some cases. The events are getting really big and the desiccation/ hot Summers are making them unstoppable. We regularly have Summer temps' of 38°C and on occasion in the 40's on our Sheep Station (farm in remote Australia).

Coastal Australia is wet, very wet and many flooding events, Insurance is no longer available in some communities.

Better news is that Labor is in power now and we are pushing ahead with RE (Renewable Energy) and soon FF will be a thing of the past.
    --

"corporate greed and chemicals are killin' the land" Neil Young - Greendale 2004.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    You actually purchased a TV and not a PVR but the Sony Bavia manual says that it can pause live tv.
    It didn't for the OPs model when I looked just now.
    I'm surprised (s)he didn't look before buying. I'd always find a manual on-line and read it before purchase for such an item.

There is a workaround (of sorts) for the problem, the last entry in:
    Code:
    https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/sony-bravia-kdl37ex723-pause-and-record-problem/m-p/264649
    although, as has been mentioned, the best solution would be to just use an enigma2 box, which solves the EPG issue too.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust-VAST View Post
    Better news is that Labor is in power now and we are pushing ahead with RE (Renewable Energy) and soon FF will be a thing of the past.
    As long as your government learns from some other countries and their efforts.

In Northern Europe there are times where the wind barely blows for a couple of weeks at a time. Wind generators then produce next to nothing.
    The sun only shines during the day, and solar may may lose 90% of the generation during winter. Expensive battery backup may be required.
    Best keep your coal burning backup generators until you have a few years experience with the green revolution.