Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Unicable Receivers

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    All current enigma2 receivers sold by the sponsor are Unicable I and II compatible.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffatMM View Post
    Thanks Abu,

I cannot find any way to change the screen on a humax box which is why I am asking for support here. I do not think it is possible but if you know a way please tell me.

The rest pf your information is very helpful thank you.
    Sorry. The spellchecker intervened.

I cannot find any way to change the scr on a humax box

Title
    Thanks

Petty sure Humax is not compatible with unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts

If the STB does not support Unicable, just use the legacy output from your LNB. A check on the web did not yield any results.

A Unicable switch may be the way to go if you must have the Freesat receiver as you can have a legacy output. Better to get an E2 receiver.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMMM View Post
    Think this would do most if not all you want

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...blue-uhd-ue-4k
    Thanks Jon. Could you explain the difference between a tuner and a demodulator? The unit you linked to is a twin tuner, 8x demodulator. Does that mean I can effectively record 16 channels at the same time? Or is it 8? or is it 2?

The current VBox is an XTi-3332 Unicable 4S supporting 4 Satellite broadcasts and 4 independent users. So I can record 4 programmes at once. Can you give me the equivalent for the unit you suggested?

In total I also have two tuners on the Humax so technically I could record 6 programmes at a time. I think 3 is the maximum I have ever needed. Frankly, most of the time we rely on the Humax as it is simpler than messing with the VBox for the reasons I stated earlier and just get by with two channels for recording at a time. It would be nice to have more but as you say, 8 (if that is the maximum to include the channel we are watching live) would be more than enough. It is the Twin tuners that is confusing me in calculating the maximum.

The unit has no internal hard drive which would lift the price if I included one (the Humax is 2 Tb) but I assume with or without a hard drive I can direct recordings to a network drive or NAS (that could be accessed from any Kodi machine)?

Would it be possible to take the Humax SATA hard drive and install it myself into this unit? Better than trying to sell the Humax I guess. (Assuming the Gigablue can address 2 Tb which as a Linux machine should not be a problem?).

Sorry to keep asking these questions but I want to get it right. I have looked at other models and makes and your recommendation looks best for which I thank you.

Geoff

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    Thanks Jon. Could you explain the difference between a tuner and a demodulator? The unit you linked to is a twin tuner, 8x demodulator. Does that mean I can effectively record 16 channels at the same time? Or is it 8? or is it 2?
    It is one FBC matrix. That means 2 sockets and 8 virtual tuners. That means you can record from up to 8 multiplexes at any one time.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    It might be an idea to number your questions so that responses can be made without having to quote you.

If all 8 demodulators/tuners were configured to use unique SCR with a unicable device, you will be able to view/stream/record from 8 transponders. It depends how many services are on the transponder as to the total number of services you can view/stream/record. I comfortably recorded 12 services on a TM Twin, which is about 10 years old. I got to about 30 services on the GB UE 4K using a universal LNB (better to use unicable) before it started throwing up issues.

All Enigma2 receivers will allow you to record to a network device.

The form factor of the HDD is important. Most new receivers only accept a 2.5" drive. The GB UE 4K takes a 2.5" drive too So check physical size of HDD you want to install. Some people are using 4 TB drives, but that is on machines that take 3.5" drives.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    If the STB does not support Unicable, just use the legacy output from your LNB. A check on the web did not yield any results.

A Unicable switch may be the way to go if you must have the Freesat receiver as you can have a legacy output. Better to get an E2 receiver.
    Thanks Abu.

I am trying to avoid the legacy lines to reduce cabling in the house and the multi switch (being centralised) does not help that objective. Also, the switch appears to require the installation of a quad unit which also ups the wiring. I am not tied to a Freesat if the E2 solution delivers the same service (which I understand now it does) so I will be following the recommendation of JonMMM.

I really appreciate all the responses I have received and am confident that if I encounter any problems, the forum will be able to support me.

Geoff

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Huevos.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    It might be an idea to number your questions so that responses can be made without having to quote you.
    Thanks again Abu.

This is the first time I have used this forum and they are all structured differently (as an ex BSI person I despair that there are no standards!). Now I have used it I will try to number or notate my questions for future issues. I have however also discovered that I can edit the quote to reduce it to a minimum which I have done in this instance. I do not want to get deeply into the technology and from your answer and a couple of items I have read, a single transponder can give more than one service so technically the unit could record more than the apparent maximum of 16. I am not sure technically how it does that and do not think it matters. The number are so far beyond my requirements it is not really important but I will continue to research on the web for my own interest. I do not want to waste the forum time on education. Having said that, if you have some links to good material it would help me.

HDD advice noted. I have a 2.5 available if the Humax drive is 3.5 but if I can set up a solid network drive for recording, I may not even bother and just stick the Humax drive in a SATA reader to network it (I have one of these already that has a spare bay).

I am ordering the machine recommended by JonMMM and will experiment with it over the next few months as the final cord will not be cut until the new house (that I am building from an old barn) is ready and that is not likely to be before March 2022.

Geoff

Title
    Thanks
    Some practical quesitons now please.

1. Enigma 2 Image

None of the sales literature states if the device is supplied preloaded with E2 and if it is, does not say which image is used. Do they come preloaded or is this something I have to do myself? If I have to do it, is there an image that members would recommend for this machine? (I have seen there is a list of alternative images on the E2 site).

2. Best Satellite

I am currently pointed at Astra2 28.2 to capture Freesat. Is this still the best satellite to use for UK based TV or is there another that I should point to?

3. Bouquets

Where do I get access to the bouquets for collections of programmes and is there a guide on how to install/use them?

4. On Demand

Does the image come with built in apps for on demand services or are these plugins I have to add? I am thinking of iPlayer, My5, ITV hub etc. as well as Molotov, Netflix, Apple TV, Amazon Prime, etc. I have both a smart TV (which has some of these services built in) and an old but excellent Sony that is dumb. If I use the Sony the availability of these services (currently available through the Humax box) will be via the E2 receiver so how possible/easy/difficult is it to obtain these services.

Geoff

Title
    Thanks
    1) Think the sponsor charges £1 to flash, you can do it yourself but for £1...... I use OpenVix, I like it as it has everything you need to get going built in, so nothing else needs to be installed.

2) If you are after British channels and english audio, 28.2 will be the best. As well as FreeSat channels you will also get Sky Free to Air

3) Use AutoBouqeutMaker, once you put in your area etc. it will set up all your channels and place them in Bouquets

4) no official on demand, you can put Kodi on it and get some on demand that way, but to be honest I just use a fire stick

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks again Jon.

Now ordered and hopefully here next week. Will come back here if I get stuck.

Geoff

Title
    Thanks
    Its a helpful community, with some people that really know their stuff

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

1. Enigma 2 Image

None of the sales literature states if the device is supplied preloaded with E2 and if it is, does not say which image is used.
    Buy from the sponsor (World of Satellite) and e2 and an image of you choice will be pre-loaded.

Updating an image such as OpenVix can be achieved in 3 different ways including a couple that only require a couple of clicks from a Openvix menu option.
    2. Best Satellite

I am currently pointed at Astra2 28.2 to capture Freesat. Is this still the best satellite to use for UK based TV or is there another that I should point to?
    28.2E for Freesat or Sky Free to air.

3. Bouquets

Where do I get access to the bouquets for collections of programmes and is there a guide on how to install/use them?
    See the video guide for AutoBouquetMaker at
    https://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/...and-tutorials/

Basically it's preloaded into the image for UK users of Freesat/Sky Free to Air and user selected by an openvix menu page.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast