Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Upgrading from VU+ Duo2

Title
    Thanks

Question Upgrading from VU+ Duo2

Hi,
    I've had a Vu+ Duo2 for 5 or 6 years and it still works perfectly but I am looking at possibly upgrading to something newer.
    I still have my original Sky+ HD satellite dish feeding the box for free to air channels. I believe my Duo2 has DVB-S tuners but I see that the newer boxes have DVB-S/S2/S2X FBC Tuners.

My questions are:
    • Is my satellite dish/LNB compatible with these newer tuners or would I need to replace the dish and/or the LNB (as I seem to recall that the newer Sky Q boxes etc. had a newer dish and/or LNB type)?
    • Do the newer tuners use the same cables as my existing set-up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Daran

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Yes you can use existing cables.

Yes you can use universal/LNB with FBC tuners. But with FBC, you get full benefit of tuner when coupled with Unicable. It is not necessary.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Yes you can use existing cables.

Yes you can use universal/LNB with FBC tuners. But with FBC, you get full benefit of tuner when coupled with Unicable. It is not necessary.
    Thanks Abu - I'm not familiar with the latest stuff I'm afraid. I'm not sure what FBC is or what unicable is... can you explain and then explain what you mean by getting the full benefits?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Have a look at this thread:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...using-Unicable

FBC= Full Band Capture

With Uncable, All 8 tuners on an FBC module can be configured individually. If you use an universal LNB, the tuners without physical connections will work in loop through mode.

Title
    Thanks
    With Unicable all 8 tuners will definatly be able to tune into any channel, with loop through you have 2 tuners so depending on which channels those tuners are on will depend on what the other 6 can tune into.