Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VU+ Uno4K SE Questions

Title
    Thanks

VU+ Uno4K SE Questions

I did talk earlier to somebody at WOS but they were very busy and I didn't ask all my questions.

I've been an owner of a VU+ Solo2 for 10 years that I bought from WOS but recently found out about 8 demodulators and also fancied 4K.

If I bought the basic VU+ Uno4K SE with 1TB drive could I still be able to record 8 channels with my normal non-Unicable twin output LNB or do I need a Unicable LNB for that?

What would my Tuner Settings have to be set to?

Would I just plug my two cables coming from the LNB into the new Unicable LNB and then into the two inputs on the STB or do I just need one?

What advantages would having the DVB-T/T2/C Tuner added?

What would I need the USB Stick storage for?

I really appreciate your replies

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You can use a receiver with an FBC tuner without a unicable LNB. However, you will not receive full benefit.

With a universal / normal LNB, tuner config will be exactly the same as you have on the solo2. E.g, simple, single, 28.2.
    This applies to all tuners with a signal wire.

You can actually record more than 8 channels with your solo2 as it is. But because you have two tuners (both connected to a dish) you are restricted to two transponders.

An FBC module/tuner consists of 8 tuners, but only has two physical connector ports. When you use it with a universal /normal LNB, 6 of them will be in loop through mode. This is because of the way a universal LNB works. It switches between the four bands/quadrants. High, low, vertical and horizontal.

Because the a unicable LNB does not do switching between high/low/vertical/horizontal, you can configure 8 tuners of the FBC tuner to use individual use bands that the unicable LNB communicates on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

aardvark5 (23-09-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark5 View Post
    I did talk earlier to somebody at WOS but they were very busy and I didn't ask all my questions.

I've been an owner of a VU+ Solo2 for 10 years that I bought from WOS but recently found out about 8 demodulators and also fancied 4K.

If I bought the basic VU+ Uno4K SE with 1TB drive could I still be able to record 8 channels with my normal non-Unicable twin output LNB or do I need a Unicable LNB for that?
    An Enigma 2 box running Openvix is capable of recording 8 or more programs simultaneously irrespective of the type of LNB and even if it has 1 tuner BUT there are limitations….

With single tuner it can only receive and record the channels carried on 1 transponder
    so its not a choice of any available channels on the satellite.

With 2 tuners and a dual universal LNB (or two channels on a unicable LNB) you now have the choice of recording anything on 2 transponders

With multiple tuners, say 8 on a box with FBC tuners, connected to a unicable LNB you have the choice of recording anything on 8 transponders at the same time.

What advantages would having the DVB-T/T2/C Tuner added?
    In the UK you could then also receive Freeview SD and HD terrestrial channels via an aerial. You can also record satellite and terrestrial channels at the same time.

What would I need the USB Stick storage for?
    Its just another bit of storage. You could for instance store the EPG on it, or image backups, or picons etc. instead of using the hard disk.
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 23-09-21 at 23:30. Reason: fix quote
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, I've been out all night.

So if I buy the VU+ Uno4K SE and a Unicable LNB do I need one cable that plugs in the STB and I can record up to 8 channels with that as long as I setup the 8 tuners according to Abu Baniaz's guide?

What advantage would I have if I plugged both cables into the STB?
    If I don't need two I could plug the other into my TV that has a satellite tuner.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    You don't need two cables for an FBC tuner, one is fine. This is because the 8 tuners within the FBC tuner can share the input.

You can use a splitter with a Unicable and connect to TV. Make sure TV supports unicable. Most do.
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 23-09-21 at 22:25. Reason: Add "unicable" to splitter sentence

Title
    Thanks
    You've been a great help but just one more thing:

At the very most there may be 4 programmes recorded at once, let's say BBC1, ITV 1, CH5 and E4, how would this be possible on my current setup of a normal twin LNB and VU+ Solo2?

Title
    Thanks
    The bottom line answer is" it depends on the transponders they are on".

There are different versions of those channels, so not straight forward to answer. Use a skin like Simple 1080/Vix night HD. have a look at the channel selection (not grid EPG). It will tell you whether Horizontal or Vertical and what transponder it is on.

On Terrestrial (aerial), BBC 1 HD, BBC 2 HD, ITV 2 HD, Channel 4 HD are all on one frequency/transponder/multiplex. You can add a USB tuner and record all the channels on that frequency/transponder/multiplex. The USB Terrestrail tuners are relatively inexpensive and can be added to your receiver

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Abu, I'm just going to buy a new STB and Unicable LNB so at least I'm future proofed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aardvark5 For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (24-09-21)

Title
    Thanks
    If you have access to Terrestrial, IMO best to add that too.

Title
    Thanks
    Hello everyone i am looking to buy a VU+ UNO 4K SE , but i need a supplier that can give me gurantee and support (RMA , Technical Support) and he can ship to Europe Country (Cyprus)
    Thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    I think this is my last question

Do I buy the VU+ Uno 4K + Terrestrial tuner + 1TB for £355.00 or the Gigablue UHD UE 4K UHD + Terrestrial tuner + 1TB for £289.00?
    The price difference more than pays for the LNB I want - GT-Sat GT-S2DCSS24 SCR/dCSS Single Cable Unicable II LNB SCR24 with 2x Legacy Outputs £50

Any major differences I should know about?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    I would go for the Gigablue UHD UE 4K, better price/value. Had one since first shipment and have had no issues. (also have the UHD model)
    Hardware wise not much to choose between them. Giga you have to lift casing top to install HDD (but not a big deal) where as Vu+ has a slide in mount from rear of box.
    Gigablue supports multiboot directly (ability to install more than one image directly onto eMMC) in software whereas Vu+ only by plugin and usb - Multiboot is nice for trying different images and testing different image versions while retaining your main system image.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    I would go for the Gigablue UHD UE 4K, better price/value. Had one since first shipment and have had no issues. (also have the UHD model)
    Hardware wise not much to choose between them. Giga you have to lift casing top to install HDD (but not a big deal) where as Vu+ has a slide in mount from rear of box.
    Gigablue supports multiboot directly (ability to install more than one image directly onto eMMC) in software whereas Vu+ only by plugin and usb - Multiboot is nice for trying different images and testing different image versions while retaining your main system image.
    Thanks, looks like the Gigablue then.
    Over the years I've helped to install quite a few systems with me recommending VU+, it will be a nice change.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark5 View Post
    You've been a great help but just one more thing:

At the very most there may be 4 programmes recorded at once, let's say BBC1, ITV 1, CH5 and E4, how would this be possible on my current setup of a normal twin LNB and VU+ Solo2?
    Go to a web such as

Code:
    https://en.satexpat.com/sat/east/28.2/
    and you can see what programs are carried on each transponder.

If all the programs you want to record are on two transponders you can record them all. In the example you give above the answer is no, you cannot record all of those at the same time beacuse they are on more than two transponders BUT if you wanted to simultaneously record

CH4, Film4, E4, BBC1 London, BBC2, BBC4, (all SD) then you could do so with your twin LNB and VU+ Solo2

As an experiment watch live TV on your Solo2. Now while watching a live program start recording it. Now using the channel selection button on your remote start going down the channels. You should be able to immediately watch a different live TV program - now record this as well. Continue selecting different channels - some you can watch and some the box will display a blank screen and say no free tuner. On every one you can watch start recording it. You will find that you are simultaneously recording 6+ channels.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Go to a web such as

Code:
    https://en.satexpat.com/sat/east/28.2/
    and you can see what programs are carried on each transponder.

If all the programs you want to record are on two transponders you can record them all. In the example you give above the answer is no, you cannot record all of those at the same time beacuse they are on more than two transponders BUT if you wanted to simultaneously record

CH4, Film4, E4, BBC1 London, BBC2, BBC4, (all SD) then you could do so with your twin LNB and VU+ Solo2

As an experiment watch live TV on your Solo2. Now while watching a live program start recording it. Now using the channel selection button on your remote start going down the channels. You should be able to immediately watch a different live TV program - now record this as well. Continue selecting different channels - some you can watch and some the box will display a blank screen and say no free tuner. On every one you can watch start recording it. You will find that you are simultaneously recording 6+ channels.
    The other day I did actually record 3 at the same time experimenting and I got excited, I can't remember which channels but I couldn't do it when I really wanted to do 3.
    I'm going to buy the Gigablue and Unicable LNB so we can record what we want, the wife has signed my request so all good

Thanks for your input

18. The Following User Says Thank You to aardvark5 For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (24-09-21)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast