Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: troubles in flashing usb mode

Title
    Thanks

troubles in flashing usb mode

Hi everyone,

Brent new on the forum, I come from Belgium and, sorry for my English mistakes ^^

I just bought this Edision a few days ago, get it started with openatv, that's supplied with the box. Works well, nothing to say.

The headache comes when I'd like to flash the box, in usb mode (in order to use a Vix image on the second emmc partition).

What I did (from Windows10) :

- download vix image from the website. Choosed the good one for my receiver (usb mode, not recovery)
    - formated in fat32 an usb stick (kingston 1GB)
    - extract the zip file and put the right folder on the stick root
    - put the receiver offline
    - plug the usb stick
    - get the receiver online

Everything works so far, I got the message "press the OK button in 10sec", press the button and, get the message "do not unplug the usb stick, etc." But, for 1 sec max and then, the receiver boot openatv.

What I tried :

‐ two other sticks. One 1GB and the second with 16GB (only have 3 usb stick at home xD) > same result.
    - get back to life my old laptop with ubuntu as OS. Used gparted for formating the 3 sticks and the native files explorer to copy the image folder on the sticks > same result.

I don't know what to do, I searched on google but didn't found anything. Maybe, should I flash the receiver with a recovery image, just to try ?

Thanks for your advices.

Have a good day.

Edit : I also tried with openSPA image.....

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    That is not the correct way to flash your receiver. The "recovery" file is used for USB flashing but please beware that it may wipe all partitions (I don't have this receiver to confirm). The modern way to flash receivers is using the image manager (it may be called something different in ATV) where the image is flashed from the menu system - you select the zip file (USB version) and the slot it goes into.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

widar (24-09-21)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    It's confusing, you actually need to flash the recovery image from usb.
    The usb image is for flashing using the image manager.

EDIT: @ronand beat me to it

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    On ATV I think its long press Blue button and select flash online. Before that copy the OpenViX image zip (for online flashing) to images folder on your HDD and when you go Flash Online it should find the zip.
    Select a slot (not the ATV slot) and flash, (I think its the "Clean (Just flash and start clean)" option ........don't select backup files as you will setup OpenViX anew.....
    Cannot remember if you can reboot immediately after flashing but if it doesn't long press Power button, select multiboot option and then slot you have just flashed.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your quick replies guys

I just follow the "how to" on openVix website :/

It's true that this guide concern "os mio 4k (not "plus")". I thought that is was the same way for the "plus" version.

@ronand :

You're right, recovery flashing wipes the fourth partitions. I just asking myself that, was it good for a test ?

@willo :

Thanks

So, I just have to find the flash manager in ATV, right ? Then just choose one a the 3 empty slots ? I took a quick look this morning but didn't saw this tool. Will look this evening after work.

In summary, the flashing method "press ok after power up, etc. " is intended for recovery mode ? (Wipe data on 4 partitions)

Thanks guys

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    On ATV I think its long press Blue button and select flash online. Before that copy the OpenViX image zip (for online flashing) to images folder on your HDD and when you go Flash Online it should find the zip.
    Select a slot (not the ATV slot) and flash, (I think its the "Clean (Just flash and start clean)" option ........don't select backup files as you will setup OpenViX anew.....
    Cannot remember if you can reboot immediately after flashing but if it doesn't long press Power button, select multiboot option and then slot you have just flashed.
    Wow, thank to you for this trick !

Will try tonight !

Title
    Thanks
    Hi guys !

Works like a charm !

Just put the image zip file on the usb stick root, use the online flash tool (on openATV in my case), and let's go !

Thanks to all.