Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Unicable II works to tuner but not through splitter!!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Unicable II works to tuner but not through splitter!!

Hi, has anyone had this issue? Cant see it on searching the forum.

Just updated my setup with a unicable LNB.
    Long story why. Basically, I have two sat cables coming into my Solo2 and one has been cut by a builder.
    Putting a new cable in is out of the question, house has been extended around it, so unicable looks a good option using my one good cable.

So I have changed the legacy LNB to a GTSAT GT-S2dCSS24 device from the sponsor, and set the tuner up correctly. Both tuner a and b tested working if i swap the one cable over. All good so far.

Then when I put the GT-SP21 splitter in line, and feed two (proven) working short sat cables to the two tuners, I cant get a signal to either. Tried every setting I can think of, disabled each tuner individually, nothing. I thought for a while that I need to change SCR type setting to JESS Switch rather than JESS LNB but cant find any reference to that anywhere. As it is there is no setting for a GTSAT device in the splitter menu.

My first thought is faulty splitter but I have bought 3 of these plus a 4-way from the sponsor, and none are helping. Have raised a ticket just in case they'll all a bad batch but seems unlikely.

Any ideas?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Mine is fed from a splitter in the loft and works fine with these settings:

1_0_1_2841_7FE_2_11A0000_0_0_0_20210918084914.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    Dont forget that the userband needs to be different for each tuner

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Willo, that's exactly the settings I have.

And yes Jon, they have diff setting. Will have to see what WoS say about the splitters.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stash36 View Post
    Thanks Willo, that's exactly the settings I have.

And yes Jon, they have diff setting. Will have to see what WoS say about the splitters.
    If one cable has been cut by the builder are you sure that the other is in good order? For instance if the cable has been crushed or tightly bent you may experience problems at one frequency and not others.
    Have you got any indication of the signal strength when you attach the cable directly to your box? Adding a 2 way splitter will attenuate the signal, and a 4 way splitter more so. If the signal level is/was marginal without the splitter it could fall below a level threshold when added to the circuit.
    If is is a cable fault affecting one frequency more than others try setting the channel user band to one that uses a higher frequency to see if this makes a difference.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Adm.
    Cables put in at different times so this one routes completely away from the one they have knackered. SNR 94%, AGC 78% direct into the tuner.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Cable to tuner 2 socket on solo2 and link internally.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes thanks Huevos, I had come across that option. Unfortunately when I setup tuner A as connected via B and save it, it doesnt save. The tuner still shows as unconfigured.

I've got a theory and now will need to describe my setup.
    Before this unicable LNB change, I have four legacy LNBs on one dish, pointing to 28,23.5,19,13. These are quad signal LNBs and go into 4 splitters (actual diseq C switches) on the dish arm and route to three sat boxes via four cables. Two cables go to my living room, main TV for which I want two active tuners and it is one of these that has had its cable damaged.

So I have now put the unicable II LNB onto 28 East, it has two legacy ports so those are going to the other sat boxes, and the unicable port to the living room.
    So that cable to the living room has three legacy signals as well as the unicable. I have deleted those three sats off the tuner but my theory is that the GT-SP21 splitter doesnt like the legacy signals which are potentially still coming from 23.5 etc?

Just occurs to me the other thing I may have wrong here, is that the diseq 4 way switches may demand different settings or perhaps are incompatible with the GT-SP21.

My ultimate intention, was to put 4 unicable LNBs on the dish, and run these to one diseqc 4 way switch, and then the one cable to all three boxes, with splitters to divide up the signal. I only bought one so far to have a play, and concerned at talk of needing to programme the LNBs etc.

Sorry for the long post, hope it makes sense, and thanks for the help so far.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    You don't use Unicable LNBs with DiSEqC switches. You need programmable LNBs and use position 1, 2, 3, 4 in the setup.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!