Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Set default volume

Title
    Thanks

Set default volume

Hi, We have just got a new TV and there is quite a difference between the TV volume and the STB volume so wondered if there was any way to increase the default volume that openvix always goes back to whenever it goes into stand by.
    I have tried linking the volumes via various settings like auto volume and the HDMI but nothing seems to bring the openvix output to the same level as the TV except increasing the volume in openvix independently every time we fire the box up.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I just leave the stb on 100% and adjust with the TV remote.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (13-09-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangfolio View Post
    Hi, We have just got a new TV and there is quite a difference between the TV volume and the STB volume so wondered if there was any way to increase the default volume that openvix always goes back to whenever it goes into stand by.
    I have tried linking the volumes via various settings like auto volume and the HDMI but nothing seems to bring the openvix output to the same level as the TV except increasing the volume in openvix independently every time we fire the box up.
    The openvix volume settings should be held in settings file therefore after a reboot (or going into standby) no need to change openvix volume as it remembers what it was last.

I'm same as @Willo3092, I just set to 100% in openvix and use the volume for the TV. I have a Vu+ so Vu+ remote controls my TV volume

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry about the late reply, I have not been getting the email notifications.
    Where is the settings file and is there any reason openvix would not update it as we find the box always opens channel 5 HD on start-up as well as the volume always being quite low.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    You can set the startup channel to whatever you want, by default it's probably the last channel you've tuned to.

Guessing here.... from live tv, press the down button, highlight channel 5 HD, press menu, there should be an option to set/unset the startup channel.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    For info @Tangfolio - CH5 HD (like BBC / ITV / C4 HD channels) uses DD on satellite and has fixed volume on HDMI output. If you are using an AV amp or a direct connection to the TV via HDMI, then it's that device which controls the volume level. I don't know about terrestrial, but I think the HD channels on Freeview use AAC, so the same issue may be in play, although you can use the options in the menu to transcode down to PCM which would have some element of volume control in the box.

EDIT - on my main viewing setup I use a direct component video and separate analogue audio connection to my TV, so volume control works for HD channels as it's downmixed to analogue stereo by default. In the AV settings you can set AC3 (or AAC) to downmix in which case you have full volume control. I have a second connection direct to my AV amp, but I have AC3 set to "Passthrough", so I can get 5.1 sound. When in this mode there is no control of the audio level from the box other than mute.
    Last edited by Joe_90; 21-09-21 at 13:54. Reason: downmix info
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Terrestrial, hdmi directly connected to tv (no amp) and no hdmi cec: Volume level is stored in settings only if it's less than the default of max.

Mute is not remembered.

Code:
    config.audio.volume=50

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the info.
    We are on satellite input and think it is about sorted now, done a lot of messing about with the HDMI settings, not sure if some of it might be to do with the TV as it keeps starting on it's 'home' apps page instead of the last HDMI input in use and sometimes it recognises the make of the box on the HDMI input and uses that as a label but other times it forgets things like that and won't even come out of standby when an HDMI input comes on, the Phillips support is useless, I suspect the TV has to have some major problem before they will do anything.
    The box is still deciding to set a start up channel at random and have to keep un-setting it.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    on my Samsung and I think also on my Philips there is a setting which enables start on Smart Hub which I always disable. You can take a look at the settings directly at the TV.

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangfolio View Post
    Thanks for all the info.
    The box is still deciding to set a start up channel at random and have to keep un-setting it.
    The box should be starting up on whatever channel you were viewing when you shut it down. Alternatively, follow @ccs suggestion and press the down arrow key, navigate to the channel you would like to use as start-up and set it using the menu key.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    OP I feel your pain on this one. The volume on SAT (via HDMI to a sound system) varies quite a bit between channels. You soon get to learn the channles that are quieter/louder and quickly adjust. For me there is a big difference between BBC1 HD and BBC1 SD (used for local news) on the Zgemma H7S and also the zgemma HDMI sound is about 5 clicks louder than the TV volume using the TV built-in apps such as Britbox and then again a difference to the TV's own Freeview channel volumes. The decoder for sound I use has no settnigs "per source" and certainly not per channel per source.