Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Timeshift with Duo SE 4K

Title
    Thanks

Timeshift with Duo SE 4K

Hi.

Sorry, another noob question with my Due 4K SE. Having trouble with the Timeshift functionality. So I press the pause button on the remote and it goes into Timeshift mode. I would then expect that when I press the play button or the pause button again, it would start playing again from where the programme was paused. However, I just get a Red X icon flash up. If I hit the Stop button on the remote it drops out of Timeshift mode, but is then playing from where the programme is currently, not from when it was paused.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchelln View Post
    Hi.

Sorry, another noob question with my Due 4K SE. Having trouble with the Timeshift functionality. So I press the pause button on the remote and it goes into Timeshift mode. I would then expect that when I press the play button or the pause button again, it would start playing again from where the programme was paused. However, I just get a Red X icon flash up. If I hit the Stop button on the remote it drops out of Timeshift mode, but is then playing from where the programme is currently, not from when it was paused.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
    Have you got a hard disk or USB stick on which to store the recording (timeshift is effectively a recording)?
    Is you hard disk/usb disk/usb stick being shown as mounted/formatted? menu/setup/vix/mount manager
    Have you configured timeshift to be stored on your recording device? menu/setup/recordings/playback and timeshift/timeshift/timeshift location
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Have you got a hard disk or USB stick on which to store the recording (timeshift is effectively a recording)?
    Is you hard disk/usb disk/usb stick being shown as mounted/formatted? menu/setup/vix/mount manager
    Have you configured timeshift to be stored on your recording device? menu/setup/recordings/playback and timeshift/timeshift/timeshift location
    Hi. Yes, sorry, I should have said. Yes, I have a 2TB HD installed and recordings and timeshift set to use that. Recording is all working fine. It's just the timeshift that doesn't seem to be doing what I expect.

Title
    Thanks
    Ah, okay. So if in the settings I set it to automatically start timeshift after 2 seconds, it then behaves how I'd expect a PVR to. Pause, rewind, play etc then behave as expected. So it looks like you can't enter timeshift mode on the fly with the pause button and you have to have it start automatically?

Thanks!

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Have you initialised the hdd? I think timeshift requires the media to be formatted as ext4 R/W

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    Have you initialised the hdd? I think timeshift requires the media to be formatted as ext4 R/W
    Yes, HDD is initialised ext4 R/W. So are you saying I shouldn't have to have it set for timeshift to start automatically for it to behave like a typical PVR?

Thanks.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Ah, okay. So if in the settings I set it to automatically start timeshift after 2 seconds, it then behaves how I'd expect a PVR to. Pause, rewind, play etc then behave as expected. So it looks like you can't enter timeshift mode on the fly with the pause button and you have to have it start automatically?

Thanks!
    It shoud work the way you tried as well as the mode you now have configured. I have just configured my box to disable automtic start at channel change and it works the way you tried in your original post.
    How have you configured your hard disk? menu/setup/storage/HDD settings/ Mine is configured not to go into stanby so the disk is spinning all the time - it doesn't have to spin up for a recording/timeshift.

The mode you have now set clears the timeshift buffer every time you change channels. The timeshift recording is then happening in the background. On puseing live TV you now also have the ability to rewind back through the timeshift buffer. The > and < buttons (below the 7 and 9 keys) allow you to jump to/over program boundaries.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Yes, HDD is initialised ext4 R/W. So are you saying I shouldn't have to have it set for timeshift to start automatically for it to behave like a typical PVR?

Thanks.
    I never use timeshift, so don't have it configured, but pause/play or pause/pause does exactly what I'd expect.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    I never use timeshift, so don't have it configured, but pause/play or pause/pause does exactly what I'd expect.
    Well, this is interesting. I just did a software update and it now works as expected! Perhaps it was a recently introduced bug that's now been fixed. I did update the device when I first got it, but had 93 pending updates today.

BTW, absolutely loving the Android Dream Player and EPG apps. Watching recordings on a tablet and different channels to what's playing on the main telly is brilliant!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    It could be the bug that has been previously reported a couple of times.
    Timeshift doesn't work on the live TV channel that is (automatically) selected immediately after watching a recording.
    To get it to work again the live TV channel has to be changed.

Select live TV.
    Then select a recording and watch for a minute or two.
    Stop watching the recording and quit back to the previous live TV program.
    Wait a bit and select pause. The indication that the timeshift buffer is being populated is shown but resuming play does nothing.
    Change the live program and pause/resume/timeshift will work again

11. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Aust-VAST (10-07-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    It could be the bug that has been previously reported a couple of times.
    Timeshift doesn't work on the live TV channel that is (automatically) selected immediately after watching a recording.
    To get it to work again the live TV channel has to be changed.

Select live TV.
    Then select a recording and watch for a minute or two.
    Stop watching the recording and quit back to the previous live TV program.
    Wait a bit and select pause. The indication that the timeshift buffer is being populated is shown but resuming play does nothing.
    Change the live program and pause/resume/timeshift will work again
    Yes, that could very well be the issue. Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye out for the behaviour.