Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Channel interference disturbances with wi-fi router

Title
    Thanks

Channel interference disturbances with wi-fi router

Some satellite channels get disturbances caused by my Huawei 5G wi-fi router.
    Especially these channels are severely interfered:
    Arte HD Astra 1N 11493,75 H Provider ARD Digital
    Das Erste HD Astra 1N 1493,75 H Provider ARD Digital
    Arirang TV HD Astra 1L 11508,50 V Provider Globecast.
    May be there are others, too.
    When I switch off the router the disturbances vanish.
    I wonder if anyone else has experienced problems like this?

Vu+Ultimo/D80cm motorized/OpenVix5.2.045ViXBMC1080Confluence/1xDVB-S2+1xDVB-C/T+1xDVB-C/T/T2 &
    Vu+Ultimo4K/D80cm 2LNB/OpenVix6.5.003ViXBMC1080Confluence/1xDVB-S2+1xDVB-C/T+1xDVB-C/T/T2

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    the channels you mentioned have high frequencies in low band and are transmitted with around 2GHZ through the cable to the box. This is also in the frequency range of 5G but also already in 4G. Because these are standard frequencies I would say that you have somewhere (connectors) to less or no shield in you sat cable. Check the connectors.

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

rte (10-08-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you for the advice. I'll check the shields.

Vu+Ultimo/D80cm motorized/OpenVix5.2.045ViXBMC1080Confluence/1xDVB-S2+1xDVB-C/T+1xDVB-C/T/T2 &
    Vu+Ultimo4K/D80cm 2LNB/OpenVix6.5.003ViXBMC1080Confluence/1xDVB-S2+1xDVB-C/T+1xDVB-C/T/T2

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rte View Post
    Some satellite channels get disturbances caused by my Huawei 5G wi-fi router.
    Especially these channels are severely interfered:
    Arte HD Astra 1N 11493,75 H Provider ARD Digital
    Das Erste HD Astra 1N 1493,75 H Provider ARD Digital
    Arirang TV HD Astra 1L 11508,50 V Provider Globecast.
    May be there are others, too.
    When I switch off the router the disturbances vanish.
    I wonder if anyone else has experienced problems like this?

Often totally cured by the use of 100% screened cable. What quality cable do you have for your satellite downlead, especially the bit that runs anywhere near the router. Is the cable approx 7mm in diameter or is it the thinner twin shotgun cable?

Although a very old article it explains some differences in the type of coax cable commonly used and why some should not be used for terestrail digital TV and satellite. Again due to the age of the article the prices mentioned are somewhat out of date and some cable types may not be availalable but cable such as Webro WF100 is still widely available.

Code:
    http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml
    If you have the thinner twin shotgun cable it is more likely to be the same as the type C cable mentioned in the article (Screened with a thin silver foil wrap and braid).
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Your acvice gave me the reason to examine the router functioning more closely.
    The incoming internet signal to the router is a wireless SIM-card connection. I'm not sure what frequencies are used there in 4G and 5G from the base station. These do not affect the satellite signal reception.
    The router modifies the frequensies and emits two frequencies inside the room: 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz. Both frequencies can be selected, both connected (one SID) or separately (two SIDs).
    The problem could be completely avoided by using the 5Ghz SID only. Unfortunately, I have a couple of devices that can't recognise 5 GHz. Using the connected 5 GHz and 2,4 GHz (showing one SID only), selects the stronger signal automatically. So, the 2,4 GHz still gives some disturbances but not so severe.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    This is very odd. 2.4GHz Wi-Fi should not normally represent a problem to the 1.7 to 1.8GHz IF signals from the dish that the examples of channels you gave would use.

Remember that if the problem was in fact the 4G/5G mobile Wi-Fi signals, you would find the extent of the problem at a particular moment would depend in the amount of data your devices were sending out towards the Internet and not just on whether it was switched on.

Is the router particularly close to the cable(s) from the satellite dish or to the receiver box?
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 11-08-21 at 20:59.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BrokenUnusableAccount For This Useful Post:

rte (12-08-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The problem could be completely avoided by using the 5Ghz SID only. Unfortunately, I have a couple of devices that can't recognise 5 GHz. Using the connected 5 GHz and 2,4 GHz (showing one SID only), selects the stronger signal automatically. So, the 2,4 GHz still gives some disturbances but not so severe.
    There are also 13 channels in 2.4Ghz (it's actually 2.4 to 2.5GHz) so you should be able to configure your router to output on 2.4G in any one of the 13 bands. Try channel 11. If this works it is only masking the real cause which is probably local electrical interference (wi-fi) getting into the satellite down-lead.

Frequencies in the 2.4G wi-fi band
    Code:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#2.4_GHz_(802.11b/g/n/ax)
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

rte (12-08-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you for all the enlightening answers. This seems to be a more sophisticated science than I expected.
    My cable from the satellite dish is about 30 m long, mostly underground, 5 m inside the room, no joints between and directly connected to the receiver. There is not much to do to shield the cables.
    The disturbances occured in quite regular intervals, obviously when a device was communicating outwards. Or, an electrical device beyond my control is causing it.
    Now I have moved the router 5 m left from the receiver. I lose some strength in the signal from the base stations but the disturbances vanished. I can be satisfied with that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rte For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    There are also 13 channels in 2.4Ghz (it's actually 2.4 to 2.5GHz) so you should be able to configure your router to output on 2.4G in any one of the 13 bands. Try channel 11. If this works it is only masking the real cause which is probably local electrical interference (wi-fi) getting into the satellite down-lead.

Frequencies in the 2.4G wi-fi band
    Code:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#2.4_GHz_(802.11b/g/n/ax)
    I tried channel 11 with the router beside the satellite receiver. Disturbances got worse. The best help is to remove the router to a longer distance from the receiver and the antenna wires.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    Or just switch to a Unicable LNB and choose a frequency that works.
    Last edited by Huevos; 12-08-21 at 23:19.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

BrokenUnusableAccount
    I tried channel 11 with the router beside the satellite receiver. Disturbances got worse. The best help is to remove the router to a longer distance from the receiver and the antenna wires.
    I think it's most likely it's a 4G link from the router back to the mobile network using Band 3 that's causing the problem. It's the right freqency close to the IF frequencies from the LNB for the example channels with problems you give.

But it's not impossible that it's something else like the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.

Title
    Thanks
    If I could use 5 GHz only there would be no problem. My PC seems to use 5 GHz channel 36. The setting is automatic. But my HP printer, Reolink outdoor camera and old HP laptop with Linux Ubuntu can't handle it. That's why I must keep 2,4 GHz running as well. However, keeping the router at a longer distance from the devices and cables with slightly decreased incoming signal solves the problem. I can live with that.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    This is a common problem in situations where DECT phones are in use. They use frequencies in the range 1880 - 1900MHz and will affect certain transponders. Although your router is not a DECT base station it may be receiving mobile Band 1 and Band 3 frequencies (1800Mhz and 2100Mhz) and it may be generating odd intermodulation frequencies or repeating certain frequencies at a higher signal level which could get into the satellite downlead. It's unlikely that the actual Wi-Fi signal bands would be affecting the IF from the LNB to the receiver. The solution in the case of DECT phones and base stations is to move the offending device or re-route or improve the cable. You have reached a compromise and it's unlikely that you will resolve the issue by tweaking the WiFi channels.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

rte (14-08-21)