Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Can't get logs to generate

Title
    Thanks

Can't get logs to generate

I don't know what's going on with my box. I have the settings below then I restarted the box.

Logs folder location: home/root/
    Enable Debug Logs: Yes
    Limit Debut log Size (MB): 10
    Maximum number of days: 1
    Maximum total space used: 20

However no logs have been generated for weeks. It's always the time I need the log when it doesn't generate one!

Is there something wrong with the above settings which would prevent logs being generated?

Let's pretend I haven't already restarted the box, if I restart the GUI then should that kick-start the logs into generating? Will my timers stop during a GUI restart?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyFan View Post
    Is there something wrong with the above settings which would prevent logs being generated?
    The "Maximum number of days being" 1 might be an issue, as this will mean the log is deleted the day after it starts. This can delete the current log (well, remove the filesystem entry - the log will still be there using up filespace, just that you won't have any access to it) so it will appear that you don't have one.

Keeping /home/root as the location probably isn't a good idea as that will be writing it to your flash (but it will depend on how much you have free and how much logging you wish to keep). Better to move it to where you keep your recordings. Or, even better, onto a separate USB flash drive (as then any HDD can spin down when not recording). This won't affect the ability to have a log, though.

Let's pretend I haven't already restarted the box, if I restart the GUI then should that kick-start the logs into generating?
    Yes.
    Will my timers stop during a GUI restart?
    Active recordings (and timeshift) will be stopped (and restarted - but you'll have two files and a gap between them).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

SkyFan (30-07-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyFan View Post
    I don't know what's going on with my box. I have the settings below then I restarted the box.

Logs folder location: home/root/
    Enable Debug Logs: Yes
    Limit Debut log Size (MB): 10
    Maximum number of days: 1
    Maximum total space used: 20

However no logs have been generated for weeks. It's always the time I need the log when it doesn't generate one!

Let's pretend I haven't already restarted the box, if I restart the GUI then should that kick-start the logs into generating? Will my timers stop during a GUI restart?
    Don‘t keep the logs in flash - move them to hdd.
    Ref the issue - turn logs off, take the restart. Turn logs back on and take the 2nd restart. Should now have logs back.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    The maximum days is the issue for sure. The normal default is to keep 7 days logs and the Log Manager will keep the maximum space trimmed in any case. In contrast to @birdman and @twol, I prefer to keep my logs in flash as otherwise the disk is kept busy if you only have HDD (as I have on my three receivers). I've never had an issue retrieving logs from flash, although I normally do image updates rather than couch flash/restore which would wipe out any stored logs (unless you opt to backup logs). The HDD logging option is probably ok for you, though as I think I recall you record a fair bit
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    The maximum days is the issue for sure. The normal default is to keep 7 days logs and the Log Manager will keep the maximum space trimmed in any case. In contrast to @birdman and @twol, I prefer to keep my logs in flash as otherwise the disk is kept busy if you only have HDD (as I have on my three receivers). I've never had an issue retrieving logs from flash, although I normally do image updates rather than couch flash/restore which would wipe out any stored logs (unless you opt to backup logs). The HDD logging option is probably ok for you, though as I think I recall you record a fair bit
    I tend to have a usb stick attached where I keep logs, so avoids any concerns about HDD movement and also as I test a lot with changes, its nice to know you can always reach & look at crash logs!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (30-07-21)