Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: File name transfer problem

Title
    Thanks

Unhappy File name transfer problem

Having had a number of satellite receivers, recording programmes and transferring to a pc is one of my pastimes. I was surprised by the file name corruption. Possibly something to do with transferring from FAT32 to NTFS. Is it possible to avoid this ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    Having had a number of satellite receivers, recording programmes and transferring to a pc is one of my pastimes. I was surprised by the file name corruption. Possibly something to do with transferring from FAT32 to NTFS. Is it possible to avoid this ?
    Can you give examples of file name corruption - name of file on the box and name of file on your PC.
    Possibly something to do with linux on your box and windows on your PC? There are certain characters not allowed in filename in windows.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Foxglove (01-07-21)

Title
    Thanks
    You have just illuminated the obvious. Looking at the original filenames and the copied filenames, I find that name corruption is always on accents. A workaround would be to replace all accented vowels by a mere letter. Not exactly French, but will have to do. As I copy files individually I will have to edit programme title. Yes, there is incompatibility, but I don't think a more obvious solution.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    I think most Linux boxes are using UTF-8 for almost anything. While transfer the converter might make mistakes. In a FTP client are the names correct? Which program do you use for transfer?

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

Foxglove (02-07-21)

Title
    Thanks
    This may be getting above me, but I record onto a FAT32 2.5" portable disk carry it over to my Windows 10 pc and copy to one of my hard drives. A programme on lake Léman gets distorted to Léman, the opera Aïda comes out as Aïda, un bâtiment as bâtiment. Also happens on my Zgemma. Vowel accents, and possibly some letter combinations, fail in the transfer.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    A linux receiver is designed to record to a linux file system. On EXT4 it records accents properly and these files transfer via FTP to a windows 10 machine and retain the accented characters properly. I just tested on France 3

Untitled.jpg
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

Foxglove (03-07-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quite a range of equipment !
    I have a Zgemma H9 Twin which I have just converted from ext3 to ext4 using the menu screen instructions. Will become my spare receiver. My Vuplus seems to have no 'convert ext3 to ext4' instruction. I have just saved the HDD contents to external memory before trying out initializing, but there was no mention of ext4. Looking through google there may be a way of achieving ext4 using the image (?). I use a TNT card in a French receiver, can it be used in a Vuplus Duo ? Perhaps i need to start several more threads......

BrokenUnusableAccount
    It might mean the Linux kernel used in the H9 Twin doesn't understand ext4.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    Quite a range of equipment !
    I have a Zgemma H9 Twin which I have just converted from ext3 to ext4 using the menu screen instructions. Will become my spare receiver. My Vuplus seems to have no 'convert ext3 to ext4' instruction. I have just saved the HDD contents to external memory before trying out initializing, but there was no mention of ext4. Looking through google there may be a way of achieving ext4 using the image (?). I use a TNT card in a French receiver, can it be used in a Vuplus Duo ? Perhaps i need to start several more threads......
    which menu option did you use??.
    If you initialse the disk, the code checks for ext4 availability on the receiver and will use that if available.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Foxglove (04-07-21)

Title
    Thanks
    I have initialised both the VuPlus HDD and USB drives to ext4. The latter is now connected to my pc's USB system. Using DiskInternals I can copy files to my pc NTFS drive. Hopefully this is a rugged solution, even the foreign accents are copied.