Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Access ZGemma at home using mobile phone while at a different location - How, please?

Title
    Thanks

Question Access ZGemma at home using mobile phone while at a different location - How, please?

Greetings all,

Can anyone please help me point in the right direction?

I recently bought a Zgemma H9 Twin and I absolutely loved it, but there is one thing I could not work out is:

How do I access my Zgemma from anywhere like from my office using my mobile phone? The reason I asked is because, sometimes, if I come across something or heard someone saying, "There's a good programme tonight at 8pm on BBC1", and I went "Oh no, I should have recorded it", but picking my mobile up, access my ZGemma and select a programme and press add timer. Done!

That's what I would like. How do I get around to this? Do I set up a VPN? How?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    As far as I know, there is no super easy/convenient way to do this.

You could run a VPN server at home to make a secure way to get in to your home network from anywhere and use a VPN client app on your phone.
    Then you could use something like the dream EPG app to set the timer, or perhaps just use the box's OpenWebIf.

I run my own VPN server in my router, but you could run it on some other device, possibly even on the Zgemma box if you felt happy doing that, and set your router to forward the necessary port(s) in to the VPN server.
    Obviously, you should pick a non-standard port to further reduce the chance of being hacked.

Title
    Thanks
    Zerotier, just creat a zerotier account and install zerotier on your Zgemma and your phone. works great

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x 5 View Post
    Zerotier, just creat a zerotier account and install zerotier on your Zgemma and your phone. works great
    Do you want to post a how to on that?

Title
    Thanks
    Is this another VPN service? Easy to set up and free?
    I'll think about that one and will compare with other VPNs.
    Thanks.