Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Satellite Receiver box advice - First Timer

Title
    Thanks

Satellite Receiver box advice - First Timer

Complete newbie here, both to TVs and Satellite TV reception.
    I'm getting a TV for the first time, after several years without a TV.

Our house has 2 Sky TV dishes, one at the side of the house with 2 LNB cables and another on the roof, with 1 cable running from it.
    Both dishes seem to be pointed in the same direction. These cam with the house, when we bought it, 5 years ago.

Requirements:-
    1) I would like to receive all Free To Air channels on Astra 28.2°
    2) I would like to be able to receive IPTV channels that do not require a subscription
    3) I would like to watch OTT sources like BBC Iplayer, Netflix, Youtube etc.
    4) Have a device that has wi-fi capabilities
    5) Have a device that can handle 4 K
    6) Not have non FTA channels on EPG

Options considered:-
    1) Buy a used Sky + HD box

Pros:-
    Will work out of the box

Cons:-
    Will display all paid channels in EPG as well. Painful to navigate and understand what is not FTA
    Will not handle IPTV channels

2) Buy a Freesat box

Will work out of the box

Will not display channels not of Freesat EPG. Need to manually search and add.
    Will not handle IPTV channels

3) Buy a Linux Enigma2 / Android receiver with OpenVix
    Should be able to meet all requirements
    Set up and programming could be complicated

I am veering towards the option of getting an Enigma 2 receiver.
    With this option, please can you help me choose the right receiver?
    Would Zgemma H9S SE be a good choice?
    I don't think I would be interested in recording programs.

Questions:-
    1) I have seen some posts about how to replicate Sky EPG in a Linux receiver.
    But if I follow those steps, will even the paid non FTA channels appear in the EPG?

2) Is there a way to build an EPG, that will scan and include all the FTA channels on Astra 28.2°, even those potentially not on sky EPG?

3) Will the IPTV channels need to be on a separate EPG? How do I build one for IPTV channels?

4) What about OTT channels like BBC iplayer, netflix, youtube etc? Can I build a separate EPG for them how do I build one?

If the answers to Questions 2, 3 and 4 above have been covered in separate posts, please can you put a link to the appropriate posts?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by rohantn; 21-06-21 at 10:21. Reason: correcting spelling errors

Title
    Thanks
    Hi there,
    Probably best if you familiarise yourself with some basic satellite knowledge, it will answer most of your questions above.
    For example "both dishes seem to be facing same direction" comment.
    Also, pretty sure that some of the comments regarding sky subscriptions is not allowed on this forum.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have been trying to update myself with basic satellite knowledge over the last couple of days.
    But I started from a point where I did not have much T.V. knowledge (Terrestrial vs Satellite or anything else for that matter), let alone Satellite knowledge.

Is there any consolidated reading material you can recommend, rather than having to trawl multiple websites?
    One aspect regarding which I can find no information is regarding building an EPG for OTT (non IPTV) content such as netflix, bbc iplayer, etc.

The other bit which I cannot find any information is whether encrypted channels also appear on the EPG by default, and if so, how to remove them...

Title
    Thanks
    OK some simple things with Enigma 2

No BBC IPlayer, Netflix etc.

Not sure what you mean by non subbed IPTV, but doubt it (subbed is fine).

But whit it does very well is Satellite reception, use Auto Boutique Maker and select Freesat and Sky under Sky select FTA only, and you will get all Free channels and no subbed channels.

For BBC IPlayer etc get a firestick

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JonMMM For This Useful Post:

rohantn (21-06-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thank You! That was very helpful!

By non subscribed IPTV, I mean IPTV providers that are free and don't require a subscription, such as:- Modbro, Fluxus IPTV, etc.
    As opposed to paid IPTV channels like BT Sports, etc.

Are Enigma 2 devices able to include in the EPG, free IPTV sources such as:- Modbro, Fluxus IPTV, etc.?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rohantn View Post
    Thank You! That was very helpful!

By non subscribed IPTV, I mean IPTV providers that are free and don't require a subscription, such as:- Modbro, Fluxus IPTV, etc.
    As opposed to paid IPTV channels like BT Sports, etc.

Are Enigma 2 devices able to include in the EPG, free IPTV sources such as:- Modbro, Fluxus IPTV, etc.?
    No those are android aps, Enigma 2 is not and android box

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMMM View Post
    No those are android aps, Enigma 2 is not and android box
    He was asking about Zgemma H9S SE it is dual boot enigma2 and android. It has 16GB NAND flash and 1GB DDR3 Ram, so he can install android apps but they may be slow and also full of adverts. Still better getting iptv and none are free

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by urie View Post
    He was asking about Zgemma H9S SE it is dual boot enigma2 and android. It has 16GB NAND flash and 1GB DDR3 Ram, so he can install android apps but they may be slow and also full of adverts. Still better getting iptv and none are free
    but can you run E2 and android at the same time? If not you would be better off with 2 devices

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMMM View Post
    but can you run E2 and android at the same time? If not you would be better off with 2 devices
    No you cannot - you boot android or an E2 image.
    Having said that its a neat small box.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Can anyone please help me point in the right direction?

I recently bought a Zgemma H9 Twin and I absolutely loved it, but there is one thing I could not work out is:

How do I access my Zgemma from anywhere like from my office using my mobile phone? The reason I asked is because, sometimes, if I come across something or heard someone saying, "There's a good programme tonight at 8pm on BBC1", and I went "Oh no, I should have recorded it", but picking my mobile up, access my ZGemma and select a programme and press add timer. Done!

That's what I would like. How do I get around to this? Do I set up a VPN? How?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Tim - please open a new, separate thread for your question. You will get better answers if you open a specific thread with an appropriate title.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry, apologies, Joe_90. I'm new to this forum, and I saw "First Timer" which seemed to be the right place. Obviously, I'm wrong. Sorry.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    No problem. The original poster is looking for general receiver advice help. You have specific requirements for remote access. You are in the right ballpark as regards needing VPN for secure access to your home machine
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers