Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relacement LNB Advice please

Title
    Thanks

Relacement LNB Advice please

My current quad LNB and VU+Duo4K SE have been fried by a ligtenung strike , I'm hoping the cables are OK but not tested yet.
    I have a new VU+ on order and looking for what LNB to get. I may as well go Unicable II while I'm at it so...
    I have three feeds from the dish to the STB. The STB will have 2 full band tuners plus our TV (which also blew in the storm) has a DVB-S Tuner.
    So should I go for a Unicable II with a couple of legacy feed for the other cables? or just split the single off indoors?
    Advice on best brands and sources would be great as well.
    TIA Clive

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    If you have the sat box why do you want to use the dvb-s tuner built into the television set?

Unicable II but don't forget that will have a standard 40mm collar so will need a special holder if you are using a Sky dish.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

cliver1956 (31-05-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    If you have the sat box why do you want to use the dvb-s tuner built into the television set?

Unicable II but don't forget that will have a standard 40mm collar so will need a special holder if you are using a Sky dish.
    It's not a sky dish so standard 40mm collar. My thoughts are it just gives flexibility with the TV tuner in service as well.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cliver1956 View Post
    It's not a sky dish so standard 40mm collar. My thoughts are it just gives flexibility with the TV tuner in service as well.
    Up to you. A box with FBC tuners is already pretty flexible.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

cliver1956 (31-05-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    if something must be done, like in your case, UniCable would also be my favorite. I modernized my system 2-3 years ago and also chose UniCable because I have an old house with only 1 cable in 6 rooms. Now I have 4 frequencies in each room instead of 1.

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

cliver1956 (31-05-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    if something must be done, like in your case, UniCable would also be my favorite. I modernized my system 2-3 years ago and also chose UniCable because I have an old house with only 1 cable in 6 rooms. Now I have 4 frequencies in each room instead of 1.

Ralf
    Thanks for that, What make of Unicable LNB did you get? or What's the current recomended make of Unicable LNB?

Thinking I migt go for single feed and split it as nessesary indoors. I take it the Unicable LNB's will still work into a standard (Non FBC) tuner?

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I thought a bit bigger. I changed to a quattro LNB and 6x4 unicable switch from Jultech.

Ralf
    ---
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

cliver1956 (31-05-21)

Title
    Thanks
    OK I'm getting a bit confused as to the use of Unicable LNB's. So a final question.
    If I connect one downlink cable from a Unicable LNB to one port on the VU+ Duo4K SE twin DVB-S/S2/S2X FBC Tuner will that give me the use of both inputs? i.e. can I link/loop the two inputs together in the setup so I only have one cable but full use of both tuners?
    If so there is no point in connecting two downlinks to the STB is there?
    If the above is all true then would I be better off splitting one feed to connect to the non FBC tuner on the TV or have a single lecy out of the LNB to connect to the TV?
    In other words I want to make full use of the 2 tuners on the VU+ and have another link to the TV.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Just trying to get my mind around the possibilities here.
    Last edited by cliver1956; 31-05-21 at 11:45.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    you only need to connect 1 cable to the Duo4K to make full use of unicable. No need for 2nd cable. If your TV supports unicable no need to use a separate cable. In the case of a splitter you need to watch the power supply of the LNB. If you want to make full use of the VU and you TV the LNB must have more than 8 frequencies for unicable.

Unicable also works with non FBC tuner but the tuner must support unicable. I also use my unicable switch with my old Solo2 and Duo2.

Ralf
    ---

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

cliver1956 (31-05-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    you only need to connect 1 cable to the Duo4K to make full use of unicable. No need for 2nd cable. If your TV supports unicable no need to use a separate cable. In the case of a splitter you need to watch the power supply of the LNB. If you want to make full use of the VU and you TV the LNB must have more than 8 frequencies for unicable.

Unicable also works with non FBC tuner but the tuner must support unicable. I also use my unicable switch with my old Solo2 and Duo2.

Ralf
    Thanks again Trial, That's clearer now. I think the TV tuner is DVB-S2. To be hinest, I won't be recording anything from it. I did try recording to an attached USB drive but it was utter rubbish. The UI was garbage and it seemed to miss some timed recordings. The Enigma box.s are so uch better at that sort of thing. So it's more important to have the unicable on the VU+ so might as well go for 1 downlink and split it to the TV if I need it. Not sure it's worth bothering with though TBH.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Still don't get why you think it is necessary to use the TV tuner. Are you just trying to confuse the rest of the family?

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by cliver1956 View Post
    Thanks again Trial, That's clearer now. I think the TV tuner is DVB-S2. To be hinest, I won't be recording anything from it. I did try recording to an attached USB drive but it was utter rubbish. The UI was garbage and it seemed to miss some timed recordings. The Enigma box.s are so uch better at that sort of thing. So it's more important to have the unicable on the VU+ so might as well go for 1 downlink and split it to the TV if I need it. Not sure it's worth bothering with though TBH.
    If the TV doesn't support unicable you would need a separate cable from a "legacy" output on the LNB for the TV.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Still don't get why you think it is necessary to use the TV tuner. Are you just trying to confuse the rest of the family?
    Ha Ha, Yes, and it's working well

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    If the TV doesn't support unicable you would need a separate cable from a "legacy" output on the LNB for the TV.
    Thanks for that. OK, so I am going to go Unicable II to the VU box and forget the TV, for now at least.

So what is the best Unicable II LNB to buy and where from please?

I have seen the Inverto's on other threads but the one they sell now is programmable? Is that making things a bit too complicated? I just want a plug and play Unicable II LNB that will do the job well.

Title
    Thanks
    I have found this one in the UK..
    Link removed
    It seems to offer the specs I need but it doesn't look like the one on the maufacturers site...
    Link removed
    Which I can't seem to find available anywhere.
    Is one better/newer model than the other?
    If the one on Inverto's web page is the better, where can I buy it?
    Or is there a better alternative?
    Google doesn't come up with much recent info, it all seems to be a few years old, wich in tech terms can be a lifetime.

Edit:
    Forum rules
    5. No links are to be posted to other commercial satellite retailers other than our site sponsors.
    Last edited by Huevos; 01-06-21 at 13:49. Reason: Remove links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast