Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: How to secure wifi?

Title
    Thanks

How to secure wifi?

Is there a way to secure wifi? without being techie? In this new normal after covid-19 where we have to work from home and have to access sensitive files and data. I am very much concerned about my work and home-related security as hacking attempts are increasing day by day.
    TIA

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Google is your friend.

For instance this seems like a fairly sensible article I found using Google:

Code:
    https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/home-wireless-network-security/
    Though even that nearly full page of text is missing some necessary information.
    For instance Step 7 doesn't tell you how to choose a suitable new IP address for your router.
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 25-05-21 at 19:41.

Title
    Thanks
    hi

WIFI is not secure and is open to a number of attacks, but this would give access to the network and not the computer, so as long as you are using wpa2 and a strong password (or passphrase ) there is not alot more you can do. apart from migrating to wifi6 and using only wpa3.

you also have to consider for me to hack your WIFI i have to be with in rage of you router/wifi AP.

what you should do is ensure your PC is up to date and is running an up to date virus checker, you should also upgrade if you have a windows version below windows 10. ( for example windows 10 1903 is now unsupported ) also run a good malware detection program from time to time

now if you are using a VPN + RDP to access the office computer or a Citrix or team view this will provide isolation between your home pc and work pc.

hope it helps
    Last edited by copex; 25-05-21 at 21:51.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I must be rightly screwed then XP laptop on wifi and the odd W7 and cant be upto date.I do like virus and malware protection.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    There's probably no need to panic about Wi-Fi security if you're using WPA2 and a reasonably long Wi-Fi passphrase with a good mixture of character types in it, say a total of 16 or more characters.

Keeping your Windows and software up to date, that's a separate issue and a lot comes down to whether you make sure nobody does dangerous things like clicking on links in emails or searching on Google and clicking through from the results to dozens and dozens of weird websites in search of obscure information.

Switching to using a DNS server that doesn't resolve known malware domains probably helps a bit too.
    Perhaps OpenDNS "Familysafe" 208.67.222.123 and 208.67.220.123.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    when connecting your office use VPN. I have PiHole installed in my network which filters a lot of "bad" addresses. PiHole is a more advanced option and should be installed by someone who knows what he is doing.

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    I must be rightly screwed then XP laptop on wifi and the odd W7 and cant be upto date.I do like virus and malware protection.
    It's not wifi that I would be concerned with in your case. More likely attack vectors would be the browser and/or email attachments. XP is out of service years ago and W7 hasn't received a security update for quite some time now either.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers