Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [ZGemma H7S] Play a paused timeshift not working most of the time

Title
    Thanks

[ZGemma H7S] Play a paused timeshift not working most of the time

Recently, when I pause a live sat broadcast, pressing Play/Pause again to play it does nothing; the broadcast stays paused. The only way to get the broadcast back is to press Stop and choose to leave timeshift . It works once or twice after a reboot but then fails again. Pause/Play works perfectly on stored timer recordings.

I upgraded from OpenVIX 5.3.022 to 5.4.009 recently and I think that is when the problem started. I've since upgraded to 5.4.012.

I have attached two logs with debug turned on. PlayPauseWorkingEnigma2_debug_2021-05-22_14-30-37.log is it working correctly after a reboot. Play/Pause starts at line 789. PlayPauseNotWorkingEnigma2_debug_2021-05-23_11-02-58.log is it not working correctly. Play/Pause in this instance starts at line 5791.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Title
    Thanks
    I spent the day testing various scenarios around the disk not spinning up fast enough and play/pause worked every time. At one point after playing a live stream timeshift I stopped the stream and answered yes to leaving timeshift and not to save as a movie, then pressed stop again and was asked the same question. I'm thinking maybe the box thought it was in timeshift already, causing play/pause to not work reliably.

All seems to be fine again.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I rarely have a problem with timeshift on my H7S. About 1% of the time (ie once every few weeks) it wont resume but I can live with that as thats actually good compared to any other receiver I had used in the past. Pressing stop gets me back to live tv.
    Timeshift is heavily dependent on drivers provided by the manufacturer and cant be changed by image developers. However the same drivers are in use in both the 5.3 and 5.4 images (the last update was in 2019) so that would rule that one out. If this is happening a lot then I would suspect it may be related to your hard drive rather than the image.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

Mick Seymour (28-05-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks.

The drive is new, which could be a good or bad thing. It was fitted about a week before the problem started. I've had two other drives fail (corrupted recordings or not coming on line) since the box was new 16 months ago. If the problem returns, I'll swap out the SATA cable and see what that does.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Not sure if anyone worked out what was causing this, but I have the same problem on a Zgemma H9 Twin. The drive worked fine for Timeshift in my Vu+ Solo2. Everything else works fine, just Timeshift. As you had, it stops when I press Play/Pause, but then won't start again. I don't use the feature very often, but I do use it for Formula 1 to sync up with the radio commentary.
    Zgemma H9 Twin with 2Tb M2 storage
    28.2E, 19.2E, 13E via 2 dishes
    OpenViX 5.4

Title
    Thanks
    I use this feature just about every day.

I swapped the drive back to the previous one and replaced the SATA cable. Pause/play worked for a couple of days, as it always does after a reboot, but then would not resume again. I figure it can't be the drive or cable as the drive checks out fine.

What I did the last time it happened was reboot the gui rather than the whole box and resume worked again. It's been ok for 5 days now.

I don't really know what a gui reboot does but I wonder if the gui gets tired or has a memory leak of some kind.

Title
    Thanks
    I'm resurrecting this as I have a set of steps that reproduce the problem every time.

We watch a game show every weekday evening where we pause live TV on each round to give our ageing brains time to take in the questions. At the moment we are also watching a lot of pre-recorded TV so are hit with the problem every day.

1. Reboot the GUI from the menu. This clears the problem.

2. Press Play/Pause whilst watching live TV.

3. Press Exit to clear the GUI overlay.

4. Watch the paused screen for (say) 5 seconds. I don't think the timing is relevant.

5. Press Play/Pause. The video restarts OK.

6. Press Stop and select "Yes but don't save timeshift as a movie".

Steps 2 to 6 can be repeated as many times as you like and everything works.

7. Press File to view the pre-recorded TV list.

8. Press Play/Pause on a pre-recorded video. The video starts.

9. Watch the playing video for, say, 5 seconds. Again, I don't think the timing is relevant.

10. Press Stop to stop the playing video.

11. Press Exit to return to live TV.

12. Press Play/Pause whilst watching live TV.

13. Press Exit to clear the GUI overlay.

14. Watch the paused screen for (say) 5 seconds. I don't think the timing is relevant.

15. Press Play/Pause. The video does not restart.

16. Press Stop and select "Yes but don't save timeshift as a movie".

The only way to get the live TV Play/Pause feature working again is to reboot the GUI, or the whole box.

I'm running the latest firmware, 5.4.014. I was going to go back to 5.3.022 which I had no problems with when I hit on this sequence.

How do I get this looked at by the devs?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    did you try to press OK instead of play/pause when you paused something?

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    I'd record the programme rather than use timeshift, works fine for me.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,

Ralf
    The problem (or similar) has been reported at least twice before (V5.4.004 onwards) where after watching something recorded and then returning to the previous live TV channel being watched prior to watching the recording pausing will lock up the box, with regards getting a moving picture back.. The dirty solution is after returning to live TV change channels at least once before activating timeshift.

Currently (V5.4..014)there may be another problem with timeshift but I've only experienced the problem twice and not done any systematic testing or observations. When timeshift spans a program boundary the > key (the one below the 9 key on my remote) is not skipping to the start of program marker but returning to live TV. The timeshift buffer isn’t lost and I can return to it by pausing and then jumping back to the start of program marker. I have configured my disk to be always spinning and timeshift to start 10 seconds after changing channels.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    The problem (or similar) has been reported at least twice before (V5.4.004 onwards) where after watching something recorded and then returning to the previous live TV channel being watched prior to watching the recording pausing will lock up the box, with regards getting a moving picture back.. The dirty solution is after returning to live TV change channels at least once before activating timeshift.

Currently (V5.4..014)there may be another problem with timeshift but I've only experienced the problem twice and not done any systematic testing or observations. When timeshift spans a program boundary the > key (the one below the 9 key on my remote) is not skipping to the start of program marker but returning to live TV. The timeshift buffer isn’t lost and I can return to it by pausing and then jumping back to the start of program marker. I have configured my disk to be always spinning and timeshift to start 10 seconds after changing channels.
    Timeshift's awareness of program boundrys seems worse than useless to me since the boundries are taken from the EPG times and they often occur before a program actually ends or after a program actually begins.
    It's also as good as impossible to learn to use it since it's only possible to practise using it once for each program boundry that occurs.
    You can't just call up a few program boundries out of thin air to practise on after finding you don't seem to understand how it works.
    I often find absolutely bizarre inexplicable things happening when stepping back and forth through programs I have had to pause to answer the phone.
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 21-09-21 at 17:02.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    Timeshift's awareness of program boundrys seems worse than useless to me since the boundries are taken from the EPG times and they often occur before a program actually ends or after a program actually begins.

Until recently I've found them to be useful and are not just the EPG times. The start and end boundaries do not include any adverts, apart for the 10 second "this program is sponsored by" adverts.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    Ralf
    Yes, I tried that. All is does is bring up the GUI overlay, not restart the timeshift.

Title
    Thanks

Interesting.

Are these and the Play/Pause problem on a buglist to be looked at?

BrokenUnusableAccount

Lightbulb

Some information about the currently viewed channel appears to get lost, or partially lost, after playing a recording.
    If you have your infobar set to show, among other things, the channel number it no longer has access to it after playing a recording and dashes are shown instead.
    (You can stil use CH+ and CH- and either will return things to normal with the channel number showing)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast