Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Volume issues when playing downloaded movies

Title
    Thanks

Question Volume issues when playing downloaded movies

Hi,
    I have a VU+ Duo 2 and have been been having issues with the sound when playing back movies... The sound is clear and everything is fine when someone is speaking but as soon as there is any action or significant background music, the sound goes lower and speech is less audible - the sound levels go up and down all of the time and it is difficult to watch anything and hear it all.

I have checked for auto-levelling settings and stuff like that and all are set to off, AAC and AC3 is set to passthrough... but the problem persists.

Has anyone else had similar issues and know of a solution?

thanks.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Sounds like stuff that was recorded in a cinema with a camcorder. Are you using an amp?
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    do you use an AVR for sound? If yes check the audio settings there because they often have features like auto dynamic, auto volume .

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    definitely not a screenscrape... - no amp and the problem is the same whether I play the sound directly through the TV or via the soundbar.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    do you use an AVR for sound? If yes check the audio settings there because they often have features like auto dynamic, auto volume .

Ralf
    nope - just the tv and VU+ (and also the same issue if I play via the TV sound bar.
    I've check TV settings for things like virtual surround, sound boost, auto-leveling etc. and all settings are correct

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    a lot devices cannot decode ACC and AC3 almost makes no sense for TV and soundbar. Did you try downmix?

If you do not use downmix ALWAYS set the volume on the ATB to 90-100% as the box cannot change volume for ACC/AC3 and you would get a huge volume difference when switching between MPEG2 and AC§ sound.

Ralf
    ---
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

cactikid (15-05-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Would this be stuff recorded on sat or other sources.

Might you have tried another hdmi cable.

Sometimes i need to up volume button on tv to hear more as box is on max with some recordings.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    a lot devices cannot decode ACC and AC3 almost makes no sense for TV and soundbar. Did you try downmix?

If you do not use downmix ALWAYS set the volume on the ATB to 90-100% as the box cannot change volume for ACC/AC3 and you would get a huge volume difference when switching between MPEG2 and AC§ sound.

Ralf
    It's a Samsung tv with soundbar and sub woofer... I've tried downmix too...

But to be clear it isn't a sound difference that is the problem. It is the fact that when watching some movies there will be a scene where there is dialogue and it is perfectly clear and audible but as soon as the scene changes to action or has background music, any dialogue gets drowned out.

We just watched a programme on freeview Sat and had exactly the same issue... so it's not just recorded/downloaded movies.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    Would this be stuff recorded on sat or other sources.

Might you have tried another hdmi cable.

Sometimes i need to up volume button on tv to hear more as box is on max with some recordings.
    It's happening with freeview sat channels via the Vu+ box and also with downloaded movies

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Freeview has AAC sound which is problematic on a lot of enigma2 receivers especially multichannel audio. A lot of movie downloads use it too. Leave the stb volume at 100% and use the tv volume instead.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rowladar View Post
    It's happening with freeview sat channels via the Vu+ box and also with downloaded movies
    Freeview = terrestrial (and uses AAC sound)
    Freesat = satellite (uses MP2 or AC3 sound)

Which is it?
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    is it possible that your system is quite new? From what I read I think you are experiencing the dynamic of surround sound for the first time. In contrast to my 1st post I think you need dynamic compression because it limits the difference between the volume levels. On a real AVR you have also the possibility to increase the volume of the center by X dB to make conversation easier to understand. For AC3 these dynamic compression level are written in the standards and the sound track can include up to 3 different mixes. In the beginning it was called night mode because you could watch a movie without disturbing the neighbors.

What you experience is more or less realistic. Example you are standing at a street and 2-3 yards away 2 people are talking to each other. Now you can easily understand it. If there is traffic you cannot understand it anymore. And it is even worse if you have an action film with shooting, car crashes or explosions.

Ralf
    ---

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (16-05-21),cactikid (16-05-21)