Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: H7S for TV / EPG / Recordings via Kodi / LAN

Title
    Thanks

H7S for TV / EPG / Recordings via Kodi / LAN

Hi,

Sure this question will have been asked before here but my Google-fu is failing me I'm afraid.

I'm about to cut the cord with Branson as the cost is getting extortionate, and thinking about going down the Freesat route.

What I ultimately would like is, from any TV in the house (Fire Stick / Kodi / Plex / whatever I need), to be able to watch/rewind live TV, have access to an EPG where I can schedule recordings, and be able to watch existing recordings. It also needs to be really easy to use, as while I'm happy to mess around with things the rest of the family are not.

I really just need to know if what I'm thinking of doing is within the realms of possibility, and is a ZGEMMA H7S (with HDD) going to fit the bill for this? If so, could anyone point me at the type of dish/LNB I would need too, to save me from getting the wrong thing?

Many thanks

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Yes, H7 is a good option.

You can only rewind live TV if timeshift is enabled, and only a channel you were actually tuned to at the time. You can't zap to a channel and expect to be able to rewind to a point before you zapped.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

BrokenUnusableAccount
    AFAIK you're not going to be able to watch and rewind live TV using a Fire Stick in a different location from the H7.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BrokenUnusableAccount For This Useful Post:

JonMMM (07-04-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    AFAIK you're not going to be able to watch and rewind live TV using a Fire Stick in a different location from the H7.
    Was thinking on Kodi you could do this but no rewinding, watching is easy.

@OP how many channels do you want to watch around the house at the same time?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies all. Ultimately it would be good if we could watch as many channels as we had tuners (so perhaps 2xFreesat and 1xFreeview), minus any that were currently recording.

If that's not possible, then being able to watch one via the Zgemma direct (HDMI) and another channel elsewhere in the house with Kodi would be OK.

If that's not possible (if Kodi 'drives' what's being played on the Zgemma box) then I suppose that would be OK.

The real goal I think is, from "any telly (Kodi)":
    - EPG to schedule future recordings
    - Watch recordings
    - Watch live TV
    - Multiple channels at once to multiple clients a bonus

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyjim View Post
    Thanks for the replies all. Ultimately it would be good if we could watch as many channels as we had tuners (so perhaps 2xFreesat and 1xFreeview), minus any that were currently recording.

If that's not possible, then being able to watch one via the Zgemma direct (HDMI) and another channel elsewhere in the house with Kodi would be OK.

If that's not possible (if Kodi 'drives' what's being played on the Zgemma box) then I suppose that would be OK.

The real goal I think is, from "any telly (Kodi)":
    - EPG to schedule future recordings
    - Watch recordings
    - Watch live TV
    - Multiple channels at once to multiple clients a bonus
    Yep you can watch as many channels as you have tuners, so 3 in the case of that box if thou want more there are other options

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    why not a STB in each room and then the remote tuner option where you "borrow" a signal from the main box? So you have all features as if you are directly connected to the STB. Network must be quite good though but this is always the case if you want to watch something from a different device. I think from GigaBlue there was once quite a cheap box without a tuner build in just for this purpose.

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks all, will pick up an H7S and will update on how I get on! The STB in each room sounds like a good idea too, something to explore if the Kodi on fire sticks (which I already have in most rooms) doesn't work out. Cheers