Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Summer time correction for timer crossing time change applied twice?

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Attachments
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer time correction for timer crossing time change applied twice?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    DST is nothing to do with NTP. The receiver will change its clock to summer time regardless of NTP or internet access. NTP on its own is useless without the timezone correction.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Did it record properly or do you just want to fight with the world?
    Yes they recorded correctly.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    So its just a small matter of the recording times displaying in winter time then? For something that happens twice a year and the end result being a correct recording is it really worth staying up for?
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    I was actually watching World War Z at the time when Brian posted. I also had a recording in progress on Sky Arts (Eagles at the Forum 00:05 GMT - 05:00BST). It was flagged correctly as being of 175 mins duration. I also did an instant record of the remainder of World War Z and it initially showed in the timer as finishing at 03:15BST instead of the the EPG indicated time of 02:15. I presumed it to be some minor calculation error in the timer code. In any case it stopped recording at 02:15BST as I'm using the VPS plugin and the Eagles recording was correct also.

I was watching the clock at as it came up to 00:59:59GMT and it immediately switched to 02:00:00. So the timekeeping coding in linux would have kicked in as it knows that the DST switch happens at 01:00 on the last Sunday in March in most (all) of the European timezones. I presume this has nothing to do with enigma or NTP or transponder settings as the system clock would have been changed by the OS. Further time corrections would be done by NTP or transponder.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

cactikid (29-03-21),ronand (28-03-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    How does it automatically switch??
    It doesn't.
    The system clock always runs in UTC. There is never any correction to make (apart from the occasional leap second).
    It is the display of the time that changes. Because the code that converts the UTC clock time into display text knows when DLST starts and stops for the time zone you are in and acts accordingly.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

ronand (28-03-21)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    It doesn't.
    The system clock always runs in UTC. There is never any correction to make (apart from the occasional leap second).
    It is the display of the time that changes. Because the code that converts the UTC clock time into display text knows when DLST starts and stops for the time zone you are in and acts accordingly.
    I think we've already established that.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    I phrased it badly - birdman is correct that the system clock on linux systems always maintains UTC. The DST changes are handled by tz tables and displayed correctly at the appropriate time.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    Yes they recorded correctly.
    Oops. I was wrong.
    Sorry about that.
    World War Z recorded with an extra hour of the next programme on the end.
    CNN Special Report recorded correctly.

Not what I was expecting/hoping.

I think this means there's more variables to consider.
    It may depend on how the timer was created (from the EPG or by an autotimer).

I'm pretty certain I just pressed Green in the grid EPG to create the timer.

There's not really going to be a good way to investigate for another year.
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 28-03-21 at 19:32. Reason: more thoughts

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I'm pretty certain I just pressed Green in the grid EPG to create the timer.
    You didn't extend the timer by an extra hour because it would have been running across the 01:00 boundary?

It's the sort of thing I might have done, just in case.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    And, of course, there isn't going to be a similar problem either.

You didn't extend the timer by an extra hour because it would have been running across the 01:00 boundary?
    It's the sort of thing I might have done, just in case.
    No. I'm sure I'd remember.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Having not thought this out at all, couldn't you change the timezone by +1 hour to see what happens, in a controlled way?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Having not thought this out at all, couldn't you change the timezone by +1 hour to see what happens, in a controlled way?
    That's not going to leave you in a different offset at the opposite ends of the recording, which is what the issue depends on (in some way).

You could you for a DLST time change that occurs at a different time of the year and, if there is one, set that timezone for a test.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I do understand that I get things wrong, but if a recording is set to start at 00:45 until 02:15 last Sunday, based on the times, will it not record for just 30 minutes?

The only way round this is if the end time is actually defined as 90 minutes after the programme started, or some magic adjustment is made at 01:00?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Only 1 person has reported a problem. From what Brian has posted it seems the recording was 4 hours long but he will have to confirm that.

From his original post it seems the timer was set correctly - note the 189 minutes duration which was the published length of the program. Both the start and end times were in WINTER TIME which was correct at the start of the timer recording so there are no bugs there. Also his screenshot of the epg is correct showing the program ending at 2.17 SUMMER TIME.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Only 1 person has reported a problem. From what Brian has posted it seems the recording was 4 hours long but he will have to confirm that.

From his original post it seems the timer was set correctly - note the 189 minutes duration which was the published length of the program. Both the start and end times were in WINTER TIME which was correct at the start of the timer recording so there are no bugs there. Also his screenshot of the epg is correct showing the program ending at 2.17 SUMMER TIME.
    I'm not suggesting there is a problem, I'm just trying to understand how it actually works in practice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast