Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Use of Tuner B with Unicable LNB and FBC Tuners

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Use of Tuner B with Unicable LNB and FBC Tuners

I'm soon going to get my LNB swapped to the Unicable LNB GT-Sat GT-S3DCSS24.

The plan is to run feed from Unicable port to my Vu+ DUO 4K SE and have a splitter to feed both Tuner A and B.

I'll be following @Abu's guide here but curious as to why Tuner B has to be set to Connected "No" ?

Doesn't this mean that Tuner B would never be used as that is what setting implies?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    I presume by tuner A and B, you are referring to the tuner letters on the same FBC module/card.

"Connected to" means you are obtaining signal via another tuner. You would use "connected to" if there was no splitter and you only had one connection to the FBC module/unit. There is hint text. I use module/unit to mean the "two physcial/root tuners and six leaf tuners", i.e whole unit.

That aspect is actually nothing to do with FBC, and to do with internally linked tuners. You could do the same with a Vu Solo2 (noting the one direction it allows) as well as other 7356 SOC receivers.

What I have noticed is that the word "connected" is confusing people as they are assuming it is asking if there is something physically connected to it. You may have noticed I use the wording along the lines "what signal wire do you have hooked up to the tuner" My attempt to get the wording changed got thwarted.

I'll have to find the attachments again as they have gone walkies.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Willo3092 (12-03-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Connected = This is asking if you are internally sharing a wire to the tuner you are setting/configuring.
    Most people will use a splitter and provider this LNB with signal supply. There are a few receivers with internally linked tuner. E.g Vu Solo 2, TM Nano 3t Combo. If there is a splitter and wire direct to the tuner, you are not sharing internally, so say no.

I posted this here:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post474327

I deliberately did not mention FBC tuners to avoid the association people make about having to use FBC tuners with unicable. However, the underlying principle is the same. SO I shall edit the guides when I find the attachments.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbuk View Post
    I'm soon going to get my LNB swapped to the Unicable LNB GT-Sat GT-S3DCSS24.

The plan is to run feed from Unicable port to my Vu+ DUO 4K SE and have a splitter to feed both Tuner A and B.

I'll be following @Abu's guide here but curious as to why Tuner B has to be set to Connected "No" ?

Doesn't this mean that Tuner B would never be used as that is what setting implies?
    You don't really need a splitter. e.g. connect the cable to socket 1, set tuner B as the default tuner, set tuner C as recording tuner. Link all tuners to A. This will keep the root tuner free most of the time for things like ABM. Other than that you will still have the full use of the whole FBC tuner matrix available (i.e. 8x).
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Willo3092 (12-03-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    You don't really need a splitter. e.g. connect the cable to socket 1, set tuner B as the default tuner, set tuner C as recording tuner. Link all tuners to A. This will keep the root tuner free most of the time for things like ABM. Other than that you will still have the full use of the whole FBC tuner matrix available (i.e. 8x).

I will have a Unicable GT-S3DCSS24 LNB connected to my new Vu+ Duo 4K SE which has two LNB inputs on one FBC module/card. I will exclusively use Sky UK 28.2

So this setup of mine can internally share and I don't need a splitter?

I'm not sure what Tuner B should be set as (is it linked to or same as Tuner A).

I think I'm ok following instructions for priority you mentioned just want to clarify tuner settings first.
    Last edited by bbbuk; 12-03-21 at 11:27.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    So this setup of mine can internally share and I don't need a splitter?
    You don't need a splitter to connect a single cable.

I'm not sure what Tuner B should be set as (is it linked to or same as Tuner A).
    Same as the other 6 links. Just increment the SCR value by one for each subsequent tuner.

Something like this:

3.jpg

I think I'm ok following instructions for priority you mentioned just want to clarify tuner settings first.
    You don't have to follow my priority advice but if not ABM scan will cause a blackout of the currently playing service.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (12-03-21),bbbuk (12-03-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You don't have to follow my priority advice but if not ABM scan will cause a blackout of the currently playing service.
    I'm trying to avoid a blackout when doing ABM scan or EPG update.

So to allow recording couple of channels at same time and prevent blackout when doing ABM scan and EPG update, I just physically connect lead to Tuner A and setup as referenced in my opening post. Tuner B setup as you say and other remaining tuners similar to Tuner B but reference to different channel/user band for each subsequent tuner then this would mitigate blackout should either of these happen at same time as i'm recording odd one or two things?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    ABM needs a root tuner with a cable connected. If that tuner is in use by the currently playing service you will get a blackout. If that tuner is in use by a recording the download will fail.

Alternatively set tuner A and B with a cable to each from a splitter. Then tuner C as the default viewing tuner and tuner D as the default recording tuner. The object of the exercise is to keep as many root tuners vacant as possible.

As far as Sky is concerned, the update is twice a week (Monday and Thursday early a.m. I believe) so 7 a.m. on those days would keep you right up to date. Pointless scanning more than this. Personally I never scan unless I find something wrong.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

bbbuk (12-03-21),Willo3092 (12-03-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    ABM needs a root tuner with a cable connected. If that tuner is in use by the currently playing service you will get a blackout. If that tuner is in use by a recording the download will fail...
    Is it just ABM that needs a root tuner with a cable connected?

Do any of the EPG download methods (ie CrossEPG, OpenTV Zapper/EPGRefresh) require root tuner with cable connected?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Cross needs a root tuner. Opentv Zapper doesn't. Noe¡¡r epgrefresh.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (14-03-21),bbbuk (14-03-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Satellite replaced and LNB. Tuners all setup as per guide in OP. Now more than enough channels to keep her happy haha

Many thanks to @abu baniaz and @Huevos for assistance especially the tuner setup guide and default recording preferences to maximise use of tuners.

Yes, the "Connected", I interpreted as a on/off (ie usable or not). Better description would have been maybe "Connected via". However, the new explanations should make that clearer for anyone else