Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigablue 4K receivers and USB tuners

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Gigablue 4K receivers and USB tuners

Currently looking at upgrading to a Gigablue UHD UE or QUAD box, so a question for anyone with these boxes especially in Ireland.
    If an optional DVB-S2X tuner is fitted into the PNP slot, can I use an external usb dvb-t (Sony PlayTV) dongle to add DVB-T tuners?
    CT ET9000, Xtrend ET4000
    T90 Wavefrontier 5W-1W-5E-13E-19E-28E, Old Lidl dish 28E

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I thought Ireland uses dvb/t/t2 type usb tuners but would need to know if their were drivers for that chipset.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

white_westie (10-03-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    According to this:
    Code:
     https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/playtv-tuner-not-found-in-tvheadend-server/5662/7
    the Sony PlayTV dongle should work. It needs the dib0700 driver.
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 06-04-23 at 16:52.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

white_westie (10-03-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yep, should have said that I am currently using it on an old ET9x00 for the last number of years - Also seems to work on my et8000 as well.

It's just I thought...... when reading through various posts last week, I saw a comment about usb tuners not working in Gigablue boxes - might have something to do with the boxes that have the FBC tuner module! Cannot find it now of course.......
    CT ET9000, Xtrend ET4000

Title
    Thanks
    Why are you adding an extra digital tuner? Those fbc tuners have 8 demodulators.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmitie View Post
    Why are you adding an extra digital tuner? Those fbc tuners have 8 demodulators.
    Access to Saorview would be my guess.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (06-04-23),white_westie (10-03-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Currently have 2 boxes each with twin dvb-s2 tuners, one has a built in hybrid configured as dvb-t, and the other is using a usb dvb-t tuner.
    Due to power issues recently, 1 box has lost its sat tuners, and also seems to have damaged some lnbs.

So in looking around for possible replacement, I was looking at a 1 box solution for the house.
    Gigablue UE with FBC tuner and unicable 2 lnb will supply 8 tuners for 28east - these can be used by other stb(s) in client or fallback mode, firestick, tablet or pc's connected to network.

To handle the other sats 19e, 13e, 5w (I have a T90) I was fitting the 2nd sat tuner, and because I also need dvb-t tuners was wondering could I use the usb tuner as well!
    CT ET9000, Xtrend ET4000

11. The Following User Says Thank You to white_westie For This Useful Post:

bmitie (10-03-21)

Title
    Thanks
    I should have said DVB tuner- ooops. And I should have noticed your signature. To get an answer you would need to post in gigablue section and even then its unlikely a user will have 2 x fbc and 1 by dsb sx. What may happen is box will only recognise a max of 4 tuners or miss the DTT ones. I did a search and found a gigablue forum with this result, the fix was using openhdf. I tried to join but failed to answer the question .. "

https://www.gigablue-support.org/gig...mit-usb-stick/

You can get unicable with legacy outputs as well but you may know that.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    If you want to watch or record any terrestrial channel in Ireland, any box with a dual dvb-t will do.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

white_westie (10-03-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I should have said DVB tuner- ooops. And I should have noticed your signature. To get an answer you would need to post in gigablue section and even then its unlikely a user will have 2 x fbc and 1 by dsb sx. What may happen is box will only recognise a max of 4 tuners or miss the DTT ones. I did a search and found a gigablue forum with this result, the fix was using openhdf. I tried to join but failed to answer the question .. "

https://www.gigablue-support.org/gig...mit-usb-stick/

You can get unicable with legacy outputs as well but you may know that.
    Thanks for response, especially the gigablue support link - had searched around for stuff, but that site never popped up for me.
    As regards my question, you have put it better than me - an FBC module is 2 physical tuners, add in the 2nd dual tuner and that's 4, maybe that's the physical limit supported by the drivers.
    Was sure I saw a comment on this site about this, probably from Abu himself, anyway will keep looking, but am reconsidering my options.

In relation to unicable lnbs with legacy outputs, can I assume that they are basically just multiple lnbs in 1 package, similar to traditional twin or quad, and that the legacy ports are fully independent of the scr port?
    CT ET9000, Xtrend ET4000

Title
    Thanks
    I should have said box may only recognise 4 tuners and omit the dtt even with the correct driver BUT with that image HDF you may get one dtt tuner or even both recognised. Yes legacy is the old LNB outputs and fully independent. Could help you.

And I noticed the CT9000 and the ET4000 can you replace tuners in these? I have the xtrend 10000 with 4 tuners, 2 x dvb and 2 x dtt both internal.
    Last edited by bmitie; 10-03-21 at 18:43.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I should have said box may only recognise 4 tuners and omit the dtt even with the correct driver BUT with that image HDF you may get one dtt tuner or even both recognised. Yes legacy is the old LNB outputs and fully independent. Could help you.

And I noticed the CT9000 and the ET4000 can you replace tuners in these? I have the xtrend 10000 with 4 tuners, 2 x dvb and 2 x dtt both internal.

Agree on the possibility of a 4 tuner issue - found some unanswered posts going back asking a similar question to what I am asking!

As regards replacement tuners for my current setup, its not really an option.
    I have the hybrid tuner on the ET8000 configured as dvb-t (did use it as a dvb-c for a while as well!), and all working fine.
    My trusty CT9000 (which got converted to an ET9000 somewhere along the way) got a bit of a power wobble, and does not see the sat tuners anymore - boots up okay, sees the hdd and usb tuner, dvb-t works fine locally, sat works using fallback configuration to the ET8000.
    Suspect its a psu issue, and have changed some capacitors, but nogo. The power issue also damaged lnbs and a disecq switch.
    The sat tuners are soldered onto the mainboard, so not really replaceable!

In looking at a replacement, came across unicable and fbc tuner's, so will probably go down that route, especially now that I understand a bit more on how the 6 leaf tuners can be configured across the root tuners, and how the legacy outputs work on the unicable lnbs.

Too much time on my hands....
    CT ET9000, Xtrend ET4000

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Oops, I forgot about this. USB tuners do not work on my GB UE 4K. They install, show up as tuners and can be configured. But they do not lock to pre-existing channels. Nor do they find channels on a scan.

Even my Sundtek tuner does not work.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (11-03-21)

Title
    Thanks
    But have you tried it with that HDF image??

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    But have you tried it with that HDF image??
    If that was directed to me, I have not tried HDF. I have tried Pure2, PLI, Vix, ATV and TeamBlue

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (11-03-21),bmitie (11-03-21)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast