Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: power supplies eu to uk

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    I wonder why table lamps, for example, have a 2 or 3 amp fuses, when 13 amps could be pushed thru' when it fails?
    1) If you have a bulb that starts an arc (shorts) when it fails a 3 amp fuse rather than a 13 amp one can be the difference between the fuse just blowing and the bulb exploding. It's rare but I've seen it happen.

2) A lower current fuse means less chance of a fire if any weird over current fault develops.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    So using an over-rated power supply is not recommended unless the device has got the right sized fuse.
    Maybe.
    But a fire or any kind of dangerous damage is much less likely at 12V than at 240V.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    ... Cheers, I was replying to someone who said "there is no harm in it (a power supply) being higher".

I've always assumed that the fuse (or circuit breaker) was the key, anything else (like replacing a fuse with a 6 inch nail) is asking for trouble.

PC battery's have been know to catch fire, and milliamps can kill, so advice on "power" needs to be left to the professionals.
    Last edited by ccs; 05-03-21 at 16:27.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    6A should be fine, that's just the maximum output. The box will only draw what it needs.
    That is correct.
    I regularly use 12v 2amp or 2.5amp power supplies on electronic projects, even tho the project will only draw less than 1 amp in some cases

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12