Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power supplies eu to uk

Title
    Thanks

power supplies eu to uk

Hello Guys I have bought a product from Spain i just wondered if i could use this power supply on it

12V 6ADC Power Supply. Great for power LED Strips
    Amazing Quality
    Input: 100-240 Voltage , the cheap one on ebay is only 240V
    Output: 12V DC 72Watt
    Cable Length: 1.5m input plus 1.5m output
    DC Jack Size: 5.5mmX2.5mm

The tech specs for the eu plug are

Input: 100-240 V 0.5A MAX 50/60 Hz
    Output: 12V 1.5A
    Protection: Short, overvoltage

or could I use something like a Zgemma plug?

Power Adpter I am Looking at.jpgEU plug.jpg

Thanks in Advance

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Once it can supply 1.5A @ 12v and can accept 240v it will be fine. A 6A supply is a bit of an overkill but it will work. you surely must have something else around the house you can repurpose?
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Once it can supply 1.5A @ 12v and can accept 240v it will be fine. A 6A supply is a bit of an overkill but it will work. you surely must have something else around the house you can repurpose?
    Not at the moment mate i just moved house

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I use the 5A version for LED strip lights on all my boxes without any issues.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

MattSolo (04-03-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    I use the 5A version for LED strip lights on all my boxes without any issues.
    thanks will have a look at them

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    6A should be fine, that's just the maximum output. The box will only draw what it needs.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I never liked those 2 pin types as prefare a tighter fit in socket which you had to buy also.
    Are they standard sizes as many here have different size holes and still wondering what it was for.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    6A should be fine, that's just the maximum output. The box will only draw what it needs.
    I always thought you based the maximum output on what the device needs, if it goes faulty you could be be pushing way too many amps thru' it.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Current Rating
    A constant-voltage supply doesn’t determine the current: the load, which in this case is the device, does. If Johnny wants to eat two apples, he’s only going to eat two whether you put 2, 3, 5, or 20 apples on the table. A device that wants 2 A of current works the same way. It will draw 2 A whether the power supply can only provide the 2 A, or whether it could have supplied 3, 5, or 20 A. The current rating of a supply is what it can deliver, not what it will always force thru the load somehow. In that sense, unlike with voltage, the current rating of a power supply must be at least what the device wants but there is no harm in it being higher. A 9 volt 5 amp supply is a superset of a 9 volt 2 amp supply, for example.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I wonder why table lamps, for example, have a 2 or 3 amp fuses, when 13 amps could be pushed thru' when it fails?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Safety as if it had a 13amp one might fry.
    I feel safer having a supply of fuses for my needs and using 13amp on a kettle lead.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    I wonder why table lamps, for example, have a 2 or 3 amp fuses, when 13 amps could be pushed thru' when it fails?
    So that if there is a short and you touch it you only get 2A before it blows, not 13A?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    So that if there is a short and you touch it you only get 2A before it blows, not 13A?
    So using an over-rated power supply is not recommended unless the device has got the right sized fuse.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Fuses in plugtops (or MCBs in consumer units (fuseboards)) are there to protect the wiring from going on fire in the event of high current draw. Lamp circuits in households are typically on 6A breakers or fuses because the wiring is not rated to carry much more. A 2A or 3A fuse in a plugtop is not to prevent you being killed in the event that you touch a live wire. RCDs in your consumer unit trip at 30mA leakage current to protect you if you short a live wire to ground through your body.
    Using a higher rated power supply to supply a device (at the proper DC voltage) is not an issue as the device will only draw its rated current. Using a lower rated power supply could be a problem if it overheats and causes a fire. Biggest issue I see is the use of european plugs which require some form of adaptor to fit into a UK 13 amp socket. Loose fitting adaptors may cause a certain amount of arcing at high current draw.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    The fuse is to protect the wire to the equipment or table lamp. Pushing 13A through a wire possibly rated at less than 5A will result in it getting hot and if left in the fault state maybe melting the insulation and/or catching fire. However this doesn't stop some far east manufacturers incorrectly fitting 13A fuses nor does it stop them fitting non approved 13Amp plugs (such as plugs with part insulted earth pins

Code:
    https://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/non-sleeved-plugs.php
    or with plastic earth pins that are not tapered at the top resulting in potential damage to the socket).
    Last edited by adm; 04-03-21 at 21:54.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast