Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Weird EPG errors. EPG Refresh. Recent versions of OpenViX e.g. 5.4.008.

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Attachments
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird EPG errors. EPG Refresh. Recent versions of OpenViX e.g. 5.4.008.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    I've fiddled with EPG Refresh and I now have it doing OpenTV first, then Freesat and then Freeview, and I'm going to see if that makes any difference.
    So far I think it does seem better.
    No doesn't seem to make much difference.

I will try with Freesat EPG switched off next.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    No doesn't seem to make much difference.

I've seen the problem on 28.2E with all combinations of EIT, Freesat and OpenTV and with using OpenTV EPG downloader, EPG Refresh and with just switching to IEPG at 6:30am for 10 minutes.

The main problem with fault finding is that the problem is somewhat intermittent. Some days no problems are seen, some days only one channel has the problem and on other days it may be six channels with double entries.

I cannot establish a pattern but its often the first few timeslots (in the first 2 to 3 hours) in the EPG referenced to the time I manually turned on my box from deep standby but having said that I have many autotimers set-up that set timers at various times during the night/day that will switch the box on for recording and presumably re-trigger some of the EPG fetching mechanisms.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

BrokenUnusableAccount

My box is set up to never go in to deep standby - I theorise, rightly or wrongly, that it's likely that regularly starting up again from deep standby would stress it more than leaving it in normal standby does.
    Plus occasionally I stream from it to my laptop and it's nice not to have to start it up first.

I think Running EPG Refresh soon after midnight gives the most weird extra EPG entries and soon before midnight the least, or maybe none.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Not much different with Freesat and EIT EPGs switched off.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I noticed odd entries like this while back when EPG Refresh was in default Vix image (before days of OpenTV zapper). I then went back to CrossEPG and dont notice anything anymore except actual odd last minute changes that are picked up by EIT (and to be expected).

I have ABM scan 6am daily with CrossEPG 6.05am daily.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bbbuk For This Useful Post:

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    I think Running EPG Refresh soon after midnight gives the most weird extra EPG entries and soon before midnight the least, or maybe none.
    That's the impression I get - old data getting flushed out from "yesterday" while it's running perhaps?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    This morning at approx 8:30am when I switched on (and for at least 15 minutes afterwards) the entry for "Live Cricket, England v England" on 28.2E Ch4, 28.2E Ch4 HD and Freeview Ch4 was missing and on the grid EPG the highlighting of that time slot had the same problems as seen when there is a double entry. Two hours later when I checked (box left on) the missing entry had been populated on both 28.2E and UK terrestrial Freeview.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Live cricket ended yesterday , so that was probably a change of schedule.

I'm seeing ""Sunday Brunch" on CH4 freeview (originally scheduled to start at 11:45).

I wonder when the change of schedule actually happended?

I've got a copy of epg.dat from 22:09 last night when the box shutdown, I'll see if it's in there.

There's one entry for "Live Cricket: India v England:", there should have been 2 (today and tomorrow) if the game hadn't ended early,
    so the schedules on freeview partly changed yesterday.
    Last edited by ccs; 07-03-21 at 11:45.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I know freeview is ok, but here goes.

I've booted up my et10k from deep standby (closed down last night) with no tuners connected.

epg.dat from last night shows a change of schedule for the cricket today and tomorrow (and also has one entry for "Live Cricket: India v England:" using notepad++).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Live cricket ended yesterday , so that was probably a change of schedule.

I'm seeing ""Sunday Brunch" on CH4 freeview (originally scheduled to start at 11:45).

I wonder when the change of schedule actually happended?
    So at 8:30am my EPG entry was blank for that Ch4 and Ch4 HD time slot

Before posting this (and before trying a new forced update of EPG data) it was showing ....

yepg1.jpg

But as you indicate the Cricket has finished (I have zero interest in Cricket so I haven't actully been watching Ch4 during those times). Live:Sunday Bruch is still scheduled for 11:45 to 14:45

Pressing blue and forcing a openTV EPG download DID NOT update the entry for this current listing nor the next time slot which must have also changed.

I now seem to have problems with 28.2E EPG updating even after a Cache delete and a couple of reboots

Edit Update

After a EPG Cache delete and a reboot the 28.2E data didn’t update after a press blue and selecting a forced opentv download

After a EPG Cache delete and a mains power shutdown the 28.2E data didn’t update after a press blue and selecting a forced opentv download

After a EPG Cache delete and a mains power shutdown the 28.2E data didn’t update just leaving the box for 10 minutes.

In the end I reloaded a delete EPG plugin and used that to stop Enigma2 to delete EPG files. After a reboot the 28.2E EPG repopulated within 10 minutes.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...890-Remove-EPG
    Last edited by adm; 07-03-21 at 12:52.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I've had intermittent results with EPG delete via menu also tbh.

@adm, you put box to deep sleep don't you (presumably timed)? As a test, is it worth seeing if EPG can be deleted via that script to fully ensure it's deleted?

Then when box is woken up, it will have (in theory) no epg.dat then EPG download can be done.

Title
    Thanks
    A feast of spurious mid-morning programs today:

BBC1HD: Margin call 11:44-13:24 interjecting on Crimewatch Live 11:00-11:45 and Defenders UK 11:45-12:14
    BBC2HD: Mindhorn 11:49-13:09 over BBC news 10:00-12:15 and Politics Live 12:15-13:00
    ITV Anglia HD: Die Another Day 11:29-13:54 over This Morning 10:00-12:30 and Loose Women 12:30-113:30
    C4HD: Knight and Day 10:24-12:29 over Frasier
    Ch5HD: When Cruises go horribly wrong 11:49-13:14 over George Clarkes New Build... 11:15-12:15
    BBC4HD: TOTP 12:04-12:34 over programmes start ... 11:30-17:30
    BBC1 East E: (as BBC1HD)

I've only noticed them on BBC2HD before, but that might be because they're easier to spot there rather than sign of a real change.
    My box never goes to sleep BTW and openTV is updating every three hours.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by something_fishy View Post
    A feast of spurious mid-morning programs today:

BBC1HD: Margin call 11:44-13:24 interjecting on Crimewatch Live 11:00-11:45 and Defenders UK 11:45-12:14
    BBC2HD: Mindhorn 11:49-13:09 over BBC news 10:00-12:15 and Politics Live 12:15-13:00
    ITV Anglia HD: Die Another Day 11:29-13:54 over This Morning 10:00-12:30 and Loose Women 12:30-113:30
    C4HD: Knight and Day 10:24-12:29 over Frasier
    Ch5HD: When Cruises go horribly wrong 11:49-13:14 over George Clarkes New Build... 11:15-12:15
    BBC4HD: TOTP 12:04-12:34 over programmes start ... 11:30-17:30
    BBC1 East E: (as BBC1HD)

I've only noticed them on BBC2HD before, but that might be because they're easier to spot there rather than sign of a real change.
    My box never goes to sleep BTW and openTV is updating every three hours.
    Just to report that I see none of those problems today. This may rule out the actual information from the source and it's more to do with something that is happening on the box itself and possibly at the time the box updates the information and/or when the box is switched on. Timing is likely to be very different for every box owner.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I see all those bad entries. My box was in standby (I rarely use deep standby) and opentvzapper is set to refresh every 3 hours
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I use CrossEPG as I've mentioned earlier and dont have any of these issues and I have most EPG sources on (like EiT, OpenTV, FreeSat, etc).

Anyhow, I noticed a channel had a schedule change that must have been after 6.05am EPG update I run. EPG showed old schedule until the time came so assumed EiT changed this. I noticed it kept going back to old data and only would update to latest schedule when I was on it.

I got around this by saving EPG from within menu and it then showed new correct data.

I actually have EPG set to automatically save every 12 hours so have now increased this to 6. I have never noticed any issues with it saving every 12 hours and only increased how often it save so it saves last min schedule changes bit more often.

So what i'm getting at is when someone has these ghost entries, does doing a EPG save from menu and going back into EPG mitigate this?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast