Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: No Network Connection and setting the Date/Time manually

Title
    Thanks

No Network Connection and setting the Date/Time manually

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help as things appear to be spiralling downwards.

I don't need to access the 8500 via the LAN often, but a few weeks I did, only find out that I couldn't.

After a few flashes (now on openvix-5.4.006.release-et8500_usb), when doing a Network Test I still get an "Unconfirmed" IP Address and Nameserver reported.

Going to the Network Utilities, and selecting "AFP", for example, I get "Your Xtrend 8500 has no network access, please check your network settings and make sure you have a network cable connected and try again.". If I swap the network cables between the XTrend and the NowTV box, the NowTV box still works, which rules that out.

I need to get the Network sorted, so if anyone has any tips then I'd be extremely grateful, but if that proves to be a longer-than-desired-solution, then the immediate problem is that the date is being reported incorrectly, which means that timers won't fire. Anyone got any ideas as to how am I able to change the date/time that doesn't require internet access to an NTP server?

Cheers, Darren

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    We are aware of a bug with timer when there is no internet connection.

With regards to your internet connection, do you have a network setup that would prevent access to Google's DNS server?

Title
    Thanks
    Hi thanks for the quick reply. Not as as far as I'm aware; nothing has changed LAN-wise for quite some time. I did received a message along the lines of "eth0 is not configured correctly", at some point, which I suspect does not bode well.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I am assuming you have a connected lan cable and what i try is when i have that issue is restarting network in under NETWORK SETUP -network wizard and restart it.

Give it a min or 2 and recheck your network for all green ticks.

If needed power of box at rear and reboot router.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    I am assuming you have a connected lan cable and what i try is when i have that issue is restarting network in under NETWORK SETUP -network wizard and restart it.

Give it a min or 2 and recheck your network for all green ticks.

If needed power of box at rear and reboot router.
    Yes, working LAN cable (swapped with NowTV box), and yes tried all of the options in the NETWORK SETUP page.

Hard rebooted a few times, and still no joy.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Is lan cable direct to router or other?

Did you reboot router also?

Can you try box in a different place to see if gets an ip and lights flashing on back of box?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    Is lan cable direct to router or other?

Did you reboot router also?

Can you try box in a different place to see if gets an ip and lights flashing on back of box?
    LAN cable goes into a PowerLine Ethernet Adapter (and has been since it was purchased in 2017), and has not been a problem until now.

Not tried Router reboot. Will try now.... No, no joy

Won't be able to try a different location until another day unfortunately, but thanks again.

OK.... things went from bad to worse. Rebooting the router brought to light an issue with the router. Ended up replacing it with an old NowTV router just to be able to connect to the Internet again. Will need to arrange a replacement for the old box to get a 5Ghz WLAN SSID again, but in the meantime it will suffice. Also, replacement of router made no difference to 8500 connection

EDIT: I have just discovered that - in spite of my assumption that the NowTV box had a wired connection using the PowerLine connection - it is in fact a Wireless connection, so I think that I need to focus my attentions towards the back of the telly cabinet as swapping ethernet cables around wouldn't make any difference if it is in fact the PowerLine connection that is the problem.
    Last edited by artemus; 23-02-21 at 01:15. Reason: More info

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Sometimes powerline need a reboot also and older ones might have a slow connection if going through extensions or double socket with something else plugged in beside it.

I am thinking power off all 3 box , router, and powerline adapter and give it a few mins then retry network test.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

artemus (06-03-21)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Never assume something is working just because it was working before. Test the powerline adapters with another device such as a laptop to confirm if they actually work - they do fail (like any electrical device)
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

artemus (06-03-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artemus View Post
    I need to get the Network sorted, so if anyone has any tips then I'd be extremely grateful, but if that proves to be a longer-than-desired-solution, then the immediate problem is that the date is being reported incorrectly, which means that timers won't fire. Anyone got any ideas as to how am I able to change the date/time that doesn't require internet access to an NTP server?

Cheers, Darren

The time bug is after 5.4.003 so if you install 5.4.003 and set
    menu -> setup -> time -> sync time using = transponder you should get the correct time and date set
    The bug is that transponder time doesn't work in .004, .005, 006 and .007 so you need a network connection for NTP
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

artemus (06-03-21)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    This bug has been fixed for 5.4.008, which will be released later on.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

artemus (06-03-21),tappari (25-02-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Nice to see you back Rob.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tappari For This Useful Post:

Rob van der Does (25-02-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Many thanks everyone.

Reflashed the 8500 with 5.4.003 and the time problem was resolved.

Unplugged and re-plugged the powerline adapter and ethernet was working again.

I also took the opportunity to mount the power and aerial gangs on the wall to make access easier as the TV cabinet weighs about a quarter of a tonne (well, it feels like it) and takes 2 to shift it when changes are required!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artemus For This Useful Post:

cactikid (06-03-21),ronand (06-03-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artemus View Post
    Many thanks everyone.

Reflashed the 8500 with 5.4.003 and the time problem was resolved.

Unplugged and re-plugged the powerline adapter and ethernet was working again.

I also took the opportunity to mount the power and aerial gangs on the wall to make access easier as the TV cabinet weighs about a quarter of a tonne (well, it feels like it) and takes 2 to shift it when changes are required!
    5.4.008 has been released and it does fix the time problem when setting the time mode to transponder (without an internet connection).
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (06-03-21),artemus (10-03-21)