Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time Not Up-dating from versions 5.4.004/005/006

Title
    Thanks

Time Not Up-dating from versions 5.4.004/005/006

Vix 5.4.003 has worked perfectly in respect of time being correct on start-up from deep standby. I have added 5.4.004 and 005 & 006 to the other vacant slots and each time I try to use either of them, they will only start up on the last time they were closed on (deep standby) and will carry on from there. I have tried "everything", fresh flash with restore, restore from .003. Flash online, and usb flash. Nothing seems to work. Have been using all earlier versions for the last couple of years. All setting appear to correct. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    What have you got in menu/setup/time

Is the box networked all the time?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

lespat (19-02-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. Set up is:
    Europe
    London
    Transponder Time
    pool.ntp.org

Incidently, when I tried first this morning, the time was all wrong and the internet was switched off (phone hot spot), and when I just tried again, the internet was on and the time was correct. Was wondering if the transponder time is not working but the pool.ntp.org is finding the time? The 5.4.003 works perfectly regardless of internet status? Something amiss since the changes above 5.4.003?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    That means you're using a transponder to get the time, what service does your box normally boot up to? If it's inactive, you probably won't get a time sync.

Title
    Thanks
    It is not networked all the time!
    Just been doing a test, and yes I am using the transponder to get the time and that works fine with 5.4.003 on the service it auto starts up on (same for all slots with 004, 005 & 006). But what I discovered that the later versions will only get the time with internet connected, so not getting the transponder time. Is this a bug that no one else has noticed?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    On both my boxes a cron timer has been set up. I don't ever recall having set this myself myself so maybe something that has been added to the image recently.
    The cron timer seems to go to the internet at 30 minutes after midnight to get a ntp time fetch. I wonder if at this time the Internet is disconnected that the time gets set incorrectly?

ntp.jpg

However, I'm aware that these boxes have no real time clock and the time during deep standby is maintained in somewhat of an inaccurate way and when switching the box back on there may be a slight delay in fetching the transponder time.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks adm. You are right that in deep standby the time is frozen until next restart and in 5.4.003 the time starts up at the last time seen i.e. when last switched off and then almost instantly updates to the current transponder time regardless of internet availability. I've just discovered that the later vix versions will only update time through internet connection. Something got lost I think on the later updates?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Just to reword issue:
    Time on box is incorrect if I have no Internet connection at startup.

There is a bug thread for this.Just needs looking at

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    The ntp cron job runs every 30 minutes.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Yes - that 00.30 in the cron timer means run at 30 minutes past the hour, every hour. Actually, I don't know why it's there, because the Time menu has a separate setting which will run an NTP sync (if selected) every 30 minutes as well. This timer starts at the first sync and triggers every 30 minutes after that. Assuming you start the box at (say) 08:05, there will be a sync at 08:30 (cron) and then at 08:35 and again at 09:05 etc. etc.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks fat-tony, I understand what you are saying, but does this cron timer not require continuous internet connection? Pre 5.4.004 this works fine just using transponder time. Would it work if I was to somehow disable the pool.ntp.org

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Yes it would. I don't know why it's there (the cron job setting) if you opt to maintain time by transponder setting, which I believe is the default.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Abu - "Just to reword issue:
    Time on box is incorrect if I have no Internet connection at startup.

There is a bug thread for this.Just needs looking at" looked for this but can only find something going back to 2015 - 2018. Could you please direct me?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lespat View Post
    Thanks fat-tony, I understand what you are saying, but does this cron timer not require continuous internet connection? Pre 5.4.004 this works fine just using transponder time. Would it work if I was to somehow disable the pool.ntp.org
    Do you have the same cron timer as mine?
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lespat View Post
    Thanks adm. You are right that in deep standby the time is frozen until next restart and in 5.4.003 the time starts up at the last time seen i.e. when last switched off and then almost instantly updates to the current transponder time regardless of internet availability. I've just discovered that the later vix versions will only update time through internet connection. Something got lost I think on the later updates?
    Although in deep standby the time cannot be updated by the transponder and there is no real time function on the box there is an (inaccurate) software timer to allow the box to wake up from deep standby in order to record. This timer often runs a bit fast and not ideal if the box is left,say, for a week in deep standby. To test that the box is working as expected find a program that is one tonight at a time you normally have yor box in deep standby - and set a timer to record it. Check tomorrow morning that the program has recorded. While recording you box will hav ebeen able to get the transponder time so you can also check that this is the time your are seeing when you first switch on the box.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast