Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Satellite dish motorised setup

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chris0147 View Post
    Oh right, so how I can get the dish to move when I setup the rig on dead straight as the motor is 0 due to south?

Do I have to disable usuals, reset the motor, disconnect the cable from the motor, select al jazeera english on 0.8west, turn off power, reconnect the cable to the motor, turn on the receiver, turn on the usuals and select al jazeera english to get the motor moving?

If not can you give me step to step with what I need to do to get the motor moving??
    chris - can you provide photos of your motor setup when the dish is pointing south (at zero on the motor) and also when it is pointing at 0.8W. Your south (with motor at zero) is 1.3E (as that is your longitude). When you select a channel on 0.8W, the motor will turn 2.1 degrees to the west in order to point at 0.8W. Two degrees on a motor will take less than a second. You would barely notice the turn. As redrobin posted, your adjustments, when needed, will be tiny. In some cases, tightening one side of the motor U-bolt will bring a weak satellite in.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    He can get from 0.8w to 42 east, rest of west is blocked. I have given up. By the way he did not even say thanks

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    He PM me back in November. All the info given here is exactly what I told him back then.
    Yesterday I picked up a secondhand 80cm dish and motor (£30 bargain), in about an hour I had it installed and tracking all sats, using my smart phone.
    It’s not that hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I blocked him months ago. He was pestering me by pm and refused to post on the forum instead. He wouldn't pay for a proper T & K then. And he still hasn't the dish sorted.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

bmitie (05-03-21),Joe_90 (05-03-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Damn, I'd forgotten that I tried to help him on the other thread and suggested a proper pair of T&K brackets. There's no hope of getting the arc tracking consistent using a fixed dish bracket like he has - galvanised or not. I'm out
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

bmitie (05-03-21),ronand (05-03-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TK4|2|1 View Post
    He PM me back in November. All the info given here is exactly what I told him back then.
    Yesterday I picked up a secondhand 80cm dish and motor (£30 bargain), in about an hour I had it installed and tracking all sats, using my smart phone.
    It’s not that hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It might be not that hard for you but it is hard for me to get the rig on dead straight. I tried to get the dish to move when I select on any sats so it won't move.

I don't know how you do that, but did you turned off usuals and disconnected the cable from the motor before you move the rig to dead straight?

And did you reset on the motor?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,924 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chris0147 View Post
    It might be not that hard for you but it is hard for me to get the rig on dead straight. I tried to get the dish to move when I select on any sats so it won't move.

I don't know how you do that, but did you turned off usuals and disconnected the cable from the motor before you move the rig to dead straight?

And did you reset on the motor?
    Which is why I suggested you get a professional.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

bmitie (06-03-21),TK4|2|1 (06-03-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Chris you told me this on PM's " Yes the dish does move when I select 16east but I'm trying to get the rig on dead straight but at the moment I have moved the rig to 0.8west."

That is correct by the way. So give over and watch tv.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bmitie For This Useful Post:

chris0147 (07-03-21)

Title
    Thanks
    I have had no end of fun explaining to different people that 28e is not 28e in the sky, it is 28e at the EQUATOR not 28degs east of North when dialled on a compass. That is the hardest thing that people have to get to grips with, once the penny drops you see them go "Ah ha!" I have an old sat slide (ex-military one) and use that to explain.

I didn't know about the USALS being able to be set up on any sat, the only issue with that would be setting the LNB skew, which if set on 0.8w would be spot on

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stargateuser View Post
    I have had no end of fun explaining to different people that 28e is not 28e in the sky, it is 28e at the EQUATOR not 28degs east of North when dialled on a compass. That is the hardest thing that people have to get to grips with, once the penny drops you see them go "Ah ha!" I have an old sat slide (ex-military one) and use that to explain.

I didn't know about the USALS being able to be set up on any sat, the only issue with that would be setting the LNB skew, which if set on 0.8w would be spot on
    On a motorised system you would normally set the LNB straight in the holder (no skew). The cable(s) from the LNB would be at six o'clock when the dish was pointing at your southernmost satellite. If you are in east or central England, this would be 0.8w. In my case the southernmost satellite is 5W. As the motor turns, the dish and LNB will skew automatically to the correct angle for different satellites east or west of your location. The satellite position of the Astra satellites (28.2E) would locate them directly overhead the Democratic Republic of Congo. For someone near Istanbul in Turkey 28.2E would be their southernmost satellite, for example.
    Last edited by Joe_90; 18-05-21 at 00:58.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (18-05-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    chris0147 - you line up the dish and motor (set to 0) to point south wherever you are located. So, in the direction of the sun at local noon. Where I am (county Wicklow, south of Dublin)the sun is due south of me right now (12.25ish). If you are on the Greenwich meridian (which runs through London), local noon is at 12.00.

Assuming you have your north/east(or west) coordinates set correctly in the box you then tune to the satellite that is nearest your due south. This is the so-called "top of the arc" or closest to 0 on the motor. If you are in the eastern side of GB, then the 0.8W satellite is your "top of the arc". For someone in west Wales (or for me), then 5W is the top. The box will calculate the angle to the satellite from the location coordinates stored in the box. In my case, the motor will turn a little bit to the east as my motor zero position is at 6W (my longitude). If you were really accurate in lining up due south originally, then the dish will be pointing in the direction of the satellite. But that almost never happens, so you move the whole motor (and attached dish) slightly left or right to peak the signal. Now, you also have to have the motor elevation/latitude correct (in my case 37 degrees elevation or 53 degrees latitude) and you also will need to tweak the dish elevation where it is attached to the motor.

It would help if you gave a rough idea of your location (nearest town/city).

Here's a photo of my setup. The back wall of my house points exactly south (handy!). The photo shows the dish pointed at 5W which is closest to the top of the dish arc (nearest 0 on the motor).
    Hi sorry to jump in, out of interest if may ask a question about your pole mount setup please for my knowledge and understanding?

How did you manage to get your pole dead straight on the wall, is there an acceptable tollerance acuracy +/-? or is it 100% when measured electronically or just sprit bubble centred ?
    Did you have to use packing shims on the fixings to get it dead straight 100%?

Im only asking because no wall is 100% vertical and wanted know how the adjustmenst was made as i know geting it right electronically straight is hard work.

However, I do like your setup

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    This is why it was suggested over and over again on several forums for the OP to use T & K brackets. You can then adjust and ensure the pole is plumb.

Edit: This is/was the picture of his dish
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post505623

18. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

cactikid (22-02-22)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,924 Times in 3,259 Posts
    I agree with Abu. If you must mount a motorised dish on a wall, use T and K brackets. At least a 50mm pole. And preferably the motor between the brackets. And there is no tolerence. Get it straight.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

ALIEN1X (22-02-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    I agree with Abu. If you must mount a motorised dish on a wall, use T and K brackets. At least a 50mm pole. And preferably the motor between the brackets. And there is no tolerence. Get it straight.
    Thankyou that helps

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry - only seeing this now. The T&K brackets have elliptical mounting holes, so you can "nudge" the brackets slightly to get the pole vertical in all directions before final tightening. You can use an inclinometer or spirit level to ensure the pole is vertical. If you have a smart phone you can get a level app which will be accurate to the nearest degree. This is also useful for checking that the motor angle is correct for your latitude.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123