Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite dish motorised setup

Title
    Thanks

Satellite dish motorised setup

Hi all,

I need your help.

I have been told by someone on the other forum that I have set up incorrect settings when I setup the rig on dead straight (remember with 3 dots) with motor set to 0 then I moved the whole rig to 0.8west with motor set to 0. He said that it should be 2-3 degree.

Do the motor need to be on 0 when I move the rig on dead straight like 12 o clock and do the dish need to be 2-3 gree when I move the dish to 0.8west?

If not, do I need to move the whole rig to 0.8west with the motor set to 0 as the motor is not on dead straight?

I think I have setup incorrect as the motor is not on dead straight when I moved the whole rig to 0.8west with the motor set to 0. I guess the motor need to be on dead straight as the motor set to 0 and I think I need to undo the nuts on the brackets that holds on the motor arm to move the dish to 0.8west.

Please let me know which one of them is correct.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Title
    Thanks
    You always keep the motor lined up dead straight with dish, you drive the motor and dish to 0.8 via stb and if any adjustment needed to get correct signal you slacken nuts on motor that connects to wall bracket and move dish and motor manually by hand to get best signal on 0.8 channel then tighten up bolts again on motor bracket.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by urie View Post
    You always keep the motor lined up dead straight with dish, you drive the motor and dish to 0.8 via stb and if any adjustment needed to get correct signal you slacken nuts on motor that connects to wall bracket and move dish and motor manually by hand to get best signal on 0.8 channel then tighten up bolts again on motor bracket.
    Oh right, when I set the motor lined up dead straight with the dish as the motor is set to 0, do I have to go on the stub to select the channel?

How do the motor know where is 0.8west?

If not, do I have to move the motor with the dish lined up as dead straight to move the rig to 0.8west?

Which one?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    chris0147 - you line up the dish and motor (set to 0) to point south wherever you are located. So, in the direction of the sun at local noon. Where I am (county Wicklow, south of Dublin)the sun is due south of me right now (12.25ish). If you are on the Greenwich meridian (which runs through London), local noon is at 12.00.

Assuming you have your north/east(or west) coordinates set correctly in the box you then tune to the satellite that is nearest your due south. This is the so-called "top of the arc" or closest to 0 on the motor. If you are in the eastern side of GB, then the 0.8W satellite is your "top of the arc". For someone in west Wales (or for me), then 5W is the top. The box will calculate the angle to the satellite from the location coordinates stored in the box. In my case, the motor will turn a little bit to the east as my motor zero position is at 6W (my longitude). If you were really accurate in lining up due south originally, then the dish will be pointing in the direction of the satellite. But that almost never happens, so you move the whole motor (and attached dish) slightly left or right to peak the signal. Now, you also have to have the motor elevation/latitude correct (in my case 37 degrees elevation or 53 degrees latitude) and you also will need to tweak the dish elevation where it is attached to the motor.

It would help if you gave a rough idea of your location (nearest town/city).

Here's a photo of my setup. The back wall of my house points exactly south (handy!). The photo shows the dish pointed at 5W which is closest to the top of the dish arc (nearest 0 on the motor).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe_90; 17-02-21 at 13:51. Reason: photo
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

bmitie (27-02-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    chris0147 - you line up the dish and motor (set to 0) to point south wherever you are located. So, in the direction of the sun at local noon. Where I am (county Wicklow, south of Dublin)the sun is due south of me right now (12.25ish). If you are on the Greenwich meridian (which runs through London), local noon is at 12.00.

Assuming you have your north/east(or west) coordinates set correctly in the box you then tune to the satellite that is nearest your due south. This is the so-called "top of the arc" or closest to 0 on the motor. If you are in the eastern side of GB, then the 0.8W satellite is your "top of the arc". For someone in west Wales (or for me), then 5W is the top. The box will calculate the angle to the satellite from the location coordinates stored in the box. In my case, the motor will turn a little bit to the east as my motor zero position is at 6W (my longitude). If you were really accurate in lining up due south originally, then the dish will be pointing in the direction of the satellite. But that almost never happens, so you move the whole motor (and attached dish) slightly left or right to peak the signal. Now, you also have to have the motor elevation/latitude correct (in my case 37 degrees elevation or 53 degrees latitude) and you also will need to tweak the dish elevation where it is attached to the motor.

It would help if you gave a rough idea of your location (nearest town/city).

Here's a photo of my setup. The back wall of my house points exactly south (handy!). The photo shows the dish pointed at 5W which is closest to the top of the dish arc (nearest 0 on the motor).
    Thanks tony, today I have moved the whole rig to dead straight centre and I have set the motor to 0. When I select on 0.8west channels, it will not move the motor. When I selected on 16 east, it will move the motor to the wrong direction. From what I can see it will move the motor to 2 degree in the west which it is wrong. It should have move it to 2 degree in the east. How I can get the motor to send to the correct direction?

I have put the correct latitude and longitude in the usuals but it still send the motor to the wrong direction. And when it send the motor to the wrong direction, I am getting no signals.

However, when I reset on the motor, I have disconnected the cable from the motor and I have selected on 16east channels then I turned my receiver off. I have reconnected the motor cable to the motor and I have turned my receiver back on. When I turn it back on, it will send the motor to 0 for 16east so when I selected on 0.8west channels, it will move the motor to 2-3 degree in the east and when I selected on 16 east it will move the motor back to 0.

From what I can see on my phone app, the closest one to the dead straight centre is 45 east so do I have to select on 45 east after when I reset on the motor?

If not how I can send the motor to the correct direction to receive the signals?

Do I have to select on 45 east after I disconnect the cable from the motor?

My local is in Dover which is the south-east of kent in the UK.
    Last edited by chris0147; 22-02-21 at 23:44.

Title
    Thanks
    As you are in the vicinity of Dover, your latitude is 51N and about 1.3E. This is what should be set in your receiver. I don't understand what you mean by dead straight centre is 45 east??? Your dish and motor (set at zero) should be pointing across the English Channel down the west coast of France - ie pointing due south. This is the start position. When you select 0.8W, the motor should turn slightly west. If you select 16E, it should turn east. Look at my photo. With your dish set up like that, it should be pointing at where the sun is at 12:00.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    As you are in the vicinity of Dover, your latitude is 51N and about 1.3E. This is what should be set in your receiver. I don't understand what you mean by dead straight centre is 45 east??? Your dish and motor (set at zero) should be pointing across the English Channel down the west coast of France - ie pointing due south. This is the start position. When you select 0.8W, the motor should turn slightly west. If you select 16E, it should turn east. Look at my photo. With your dish set up like that, it should be pointing at where the sun is at 12:00.
    Yep, I have already done that but it won't move it to the right direction. What I mean about the dead straight centre is my dish pointed at 45E which is closest to the top of the dish arc when my motorised system is on dead straight centre with the motor is set to 0.

Like you said in your previous posts:

So on mine the closer that my dish pointed to the top of the dish arc which is 45E. Do I have to move the whole rig slightly and then select on 45east to track the arc?

Title
    Thanks
    When I select on 0.8west, it will move the dish slightly to the west but I'm getting no signals so do you know what I need to do?

Do I have to press on the manual button of the motor and slightly move the whole rig until I get the signals or what??

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Chris, have you set up motor with off set elevation according to your latitude?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by linsladeboy View Post
    Hi Chris, have you set up motor with off set elevation according to your latitude?
    Yes I did. Now I need to find the arc so someone said I live in 1.3East as the closest one would be 1.9east so do I have to move the whole rig to 1.9east??

Title
    Thanks
    I don't know why you are saying 45E is the top of the arc! The top of the arc for you (and for anyone in the northern hemisphere) is due south. If there was a satellite at 1.3E it would be top of the arc for you. The nearest to the top of the arc is 1.9E or 0.8W. I tuned in 1.9E and most of the channels are encrypted, but there are a few FTA including a music channel Magic. It should be easily receivable by you.

I think you may be misunderstanding about what the top of the arc means. When your motor is at zero it is at the centre of its travel. It can move 50-60 degrees east or west of the centre. As you are close to the Greenwich meridan, you can theoretically receive satellites positioned from 50-60E to about 50-60W. The top of the arc satellite (when the motor is in the middle or zero position) it will be pointing exactly at 1.3E. That is, it would be pointing towards the Sun at 12:00. Due south. The dish should be dead straight on the centre of the rotating motor pole. Swivel the whole motor and dish assembly together on the mounting pole so that it's pointing due south. A photo of your motor rig would be helpful. The motor elevation should be set to 39 degrees (or 51 degrees latitude) on the relevant scale on the side. You will have to tweak the dish elevation and swivel the whole motor/dish assembly to maximise the signal, so it's a two person job - one up the ladder and the other checking the signal quality.

Title
    Thanks
    Oh sorry I was confused. I thought the 45east was the closest to the dead centre but I was wrong. My centre satellite is 0.8west so I have moved the whole rig to 0.8west with the motor set to 0. Is that the correct way?

BTW, I have found the issue. When I undo the screw that hold on LNB and I have moved the LNB in so guess what?

I can now receive sport klub 1 hd and some other channels. But I cant get the signals for sport klub 2,3 and some other channels. I tried to adjusted on my dish, motor elevation and usuals but it does nothing.

I think there is a problem with my lnb as it is to too small to move in. Here is my lnb:

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...le-compact-lnb

Is my lnb that I bought are the wrong one?

I have already bought inverto black ultra 0.2db that I bought it in few months ago but I'm not sure if it would work??

Title
    Thanks
    I would think that the inverto would be a better bet. When you say you are undoing the screw of the LNB, I take it that you are trying to move the LNB slightly closer to the dish or away from the dish to get the signal peaked? You should do this and also should try rotating the LNB in the holder to get the skew correct. With a motorised setup, the usual thing to do is get the LNB so the the cable is at 6 o'clock looking at the dish from the front when the motor is at zero. The way the dish motor works means that the LNB will skew as the motor turns. Tune to a weaker channel and rotate the LNB in its holder slightly and move it closer or further out in the holder to maximise the signal quality. A tip to check the dish elevation is to grasp the bottom of the dish and push it down or up and watch the signal quality value. This will give you an indication which way to move the dish elevation bolts. Similarly grasp the left or right side of the dish and push or pull and this will give you an indication which way to move the motor u-bolts on the pole.

I can't find sport klub on 0.8W listings. Are those channels on a different satellite? Some transponders may not be aimed at the UK, so you may not get them.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chris0147 View Post
    My centre satellite is 0.8west so I have moved the whole rig to 0.8west with the motor set to 0. Is that the correct way?
    This is wrong. 0 is due south. If you are at 1.3 east and you set up 0.8W at zero you will be 2.1º wrong.

You need to set your coordinates in tuner setup and then tell the motor to go to 0.8W. Once the motor is at 0.8W you move the motor around the mast until you find a channel on 0.8W.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

el bandido (27-02-21)

Title
    Thanks
    I have been telling this guy over on techkings since December and went to private messages I told him not to go on numerous forums posting the same question as all that would do is confuse. I told him to get the inverto lnb after he gave a link for the gsat lnb. He has been told the correct way from day 1. When I told him to change lnb he had the cheek to question whether it was better than the gsat. His house is located in an alcove and will be lucky to get 5w to 36 east.

He is using a technotmate 2600 with an 80cm dish and an octagon sf8008. The initial wall mount was for a fixed dish, a long story, installer set him up on 28east and came back after I told him to get him back and when finished show him how to use receiver, guy came back and set him up on 19east and he never asked him to go to the next sats. He has now fitted an L shaped wall mount but took down motor and dish. I gave him link to you tube video that has the 3 dots to show rig is dead straight and dish is square.

I got him to send me pics, the rig is crooked, the lnb was twisted, the cable from the lnb is all bent, as he wanted 16east I got him to send dish to 16east check on motor TO SHOW IT HAD MOVED then select a channel, he is using his phone with webif to check signal, he got euorsport hd with 72% its H but not sportclub whihc is V got him to adjust focal length and he got sportclub but not a few others. Left him with job to make rig straight, fix new lnb and report back.

With USALS you can use any sat to set up motor due south no longer applies. What does apply is the 3 dots ie rig 100%. You select sat then move whole rig. I hope one day it will click and he gets sorted but as its lockdown I have lots of time.

Just posting to give full picture. I should add getting the full picture is like pulling teeth, when he put up new wall mount he forgot to mention he had the black ultra!! I get a channel name with no sat details.

I hope he manages it as he defenitley has loads of determination.
    Last edited by bmitie; 27-02-21 at 01:04.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmitie For This Useful Post:

cactikid (02-03-21),stargateuser (17-05-21)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast