Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Tuner help please

Title
    Thanks

Question Tuner help please

I'm considering the Duo 4K Se as an upgrade/update to my Duo2 which I have sold on having purchased a new 4K TV.
    I am a little confused by the new tuners and their capabilities.
    My current dish setup is pointing at 28.2E and has three legacy LNB cable feeds.
    If I keep that and connect two of the feeds to a Duo 4K DVB S2/S2X tuner, how many simultaneous tv channels will I be able to record/watch?
    If I swap my LNB out for a Unicable one how many would I then get?
    Would it be worth adding a DVB T2 tuner as well (I do have a digital aerial available).
    My aim is to be able to record multiple (probably only 3 or 4 max) channels while watching another.
    I have read all I can find but can't get my old brain around it
    Any pointers greatfully recieved.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I have a Vu+ Uno SE with a unicable lnb and can record 8 different channels at once if I want. I've never found 8 things worth recording at once though.
    I don't use my DVB-T tuner at all as most of what I watch is available on Freesat anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

cliver1956 (16-02-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    The "how many channels can I record?" question comes up often. Each conventional tuner with signal wire gives you access to a transponder. So, a Vu Solo (really old with very slow CPU and only one tuner) could allow you to record 8 channels (maybe more) if they are on the same transponder. The answer is that a tuner with signal access allows you record one transponder.

Going back to your question, with two signal wires from a Universal LNB connected to an FBC tuner unit, I was able to record about 30 channels. This will depend on what transponders you get the LNB to lock onto as you record. A Universal LNB switches mode and can be in one of the four modes available, (high, low, vertical, horizontal).

An FBC tuner has two physical connections, it is 8 demodulators. If you are not using a Unicable LNB or switch, the 6/7 demodulators will work in loop through mode. This is how I got to about 30 channels.

If you are using a Unicable LNB/switch, all 8 can be set individually. This would give the 8 demodulators/tuners independence when it comes to tuning. So obviously a lot more than the 30 channels I got to.

Not sure the £70 is good value for the Terrestrial tuner unit, but worth having them. A USB tuner may be more cost effective.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

bbbuk (16-02-21),ccs (16-02-21),cliver1956 (16-02-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    I have a Vu+ Uno SE with a unicable lnb and can record 8 different channels at once if I want. I've never found 8 things worth recording at once though.
    I don't use my DVB-T tuner at all as most of what I watch is available on Freesat anyway.
    We tend to record most of what we want to watch on any channels with adverts so we can skip through them

Title
    Thanks
    Not sure the £70 is good value for the Terrestrial tuner unit, but worth having them. A USB tuner may be more cost effective.
    On second thoughts, I think you would be better off using that money for a unicable LNB. Sky dishes have a 38mm collar. Unicable LNBs and non-sky LNBs have a 40mm collar.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

cliver1956 (16-02-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the detailed reply abu baniaz

Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    The "how many channels can I record?" question comes up often. Each conventional tuner with signal wire gives you access to a transponder. So, a Vu Solo (really old with very slow CPU and only one tuner) could allow you to record 8 channels (maybe more) if they are on the same transponder. The answer is that a tuner with signal access allows you record one transponder.
    Going back to your question, with two signal wires from a Universal LNB connected to an FBC tuner unit, I was able to record about 30 channels. This will depend on what transponders you get the LNB to lock onto as you record. A Universal LNB switches mode and can be in one of the four modes available, (high, low, vertical, horizontal).
    Wow, 30 is more than enough for my needs

An FBC tuner has two physical connections, it is 8 demodulators. If you are not using a Unicable LNB or switch, the 6/7 demodulators will work in loop through mode. This is how I got to about 30 channels.
    Think I'll stick with my existing LNB and see how I get on. If I keep getting clashes I can always upgrade later.

If you are using a Unicable LNB/switch, all 8 can be set individually. This would give the 8 demodulators/tuners independence when it comes to tuning. So obviously a lot more than the 30 channels I got to.
    I see your point on the expense. Does the Terrestrial tuner give me multi channel capability as well though?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cliver1956 View Post
    Does the Terrestrial tuner give me multi channel capability as well though?
    Similar to satellite, terrestrial lets you record multiple channels on the same mux.

At the moment, bbc1 hd, bbc2 hd, itv hd, ch4 hd and ch5 hd are all on the same mux, so you can record them all at the same time.

Might vary a bit depending on your transmitter.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (17-02-21),cliver1956 (16-02-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Think I'll stick with my existing LNB and see how I get on. If I keep getting clashes I can always upgrade later.
    Good decision

Does the Terrestrial tuner give me multi channel capability as well though?
    Yes. With the terrestrial tuner (one card but actually two tuners), you will have access to two frequencies. Each frequency has different services/channels. So with one tuner, you can record all the ones on that frequency. As examples with the twin tuner Terrestrial module, you can record all the ones in the pictures here. Your area may be slightly different. All teh 160 odd services are split on 5 frequencies in my area, so I can record quite a few without a problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

cliver1956 (16-02-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks all, I have a much better understanding now. And plenty to consider

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    This has helped me as well with question I had