Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couch flash and backup auto restore

Title
    Thanks

Couch flash and backup auto restore

I have an ET10000 box and if I use the NIC designated as VLAN when I do a couch flash the restore always fails reporting that there is no internet connection. If I switch over to the LAN2 NIC then everything is fine.

Anybody have any ideas as what if anything I can do to maybe resolve this?

Not that urgent a problem, more curious as to why flash reports no internet connection when using the VLAN port.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    The obvious answer is to use the LAN port, I'm pretty sure it's also faster. It's the one I use.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    the box with 2 lan ports and i have to use lan2.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    The name VLAN kind of suggests that there may be extra configuration required before the port becomes a nornmal port accepting normal non-VLAN tagged traffic.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    The obvious answer is to use the LAN port, I'm pretty sure it's also faster. It's the one I use.
    It's actually slower, 100MB as against 1GB, but I've always used it, and never had a problem with performance or restores.

Title
    Thanks

Couch flash and backup auto restore

Both ports are configured in the same manner from within VIX, the VLAN port is a gigabit port as pointed out above.

I was simply wondering why a flash behaved as it does and reports that there is no internet connection but when I cancel the import part and check the box I can straight away browse and download plugins.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Maybe the wizard checks the 1st lan port and decides there is no network, restores settings (which enables the 2nd lan port),
    but as far as the original check is concerned there is no network for the plugin downloads.
    Last edited by ccs; 11-02-21 at 22:48. Reason: typo

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You have mentioned two separate processes. Can you clarify following please.

1. After flashing a new image (please do not confuse matters by mentioning restore process), does the Gigabit port work without installing any drivers?If not, what do you have to do to get the adapter to work?

2. Once the Gigabit port is working, can you restore settings/plugins?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I tried it this morning with the VLAN enabled in a settings backup.

Flashing 5.4.005 release, and abandoning the restore wizard leaves device LAN ticked (but no ethernet cable), VLAN crossed (ethernet cable plugged in) and WLAN crossed.

A settings restore using backupmanager reports that there is no network connection, but after the reboot VLAN is ticked and working.

Another settings restore in needed to get back the plugins.

Flashing 5.4.005 release with the LAN port connected goes through the full settings and plugins restore - the initial check for a network connection is positive.

lan.jpg
    These are the ticks and crosses mention above.
    Last edited by ccs; 11-02-21 at 23:20.

Title
    Thanks
    Just to clarify:
    Flash, Complete install wizard, Reboot. VLAN then works?

Please do not mention restore wizard at this stage.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Just to clarify:
    Flash, Complete install wizard, Reboot. VLAN then works?
    No, not if you exit the restore wizard immediately (and chose not to configure the network). LAN is still ticked.

The first settings restore enables networking after the auto reboot, a second restore is needed to download plugins.

It's exactly the same problem when a wifi adapter is configured before flashing.

Only if the LAN port is connected to the network before flashing will the restore wizard complete in one go - settings and plugins.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    It's the same on an Ultimo4K, if you're using WIFI, the initial flash defaults to LAN, a settings restore enables WIFI and another restore from backupmanager brings in the plugins.

The ET10K is more complicated because it has 2 ethernet ports.

I assume if you've no plugins to download then you won't see any network warnings when restoring settings.

Title
    Thanks
    To summarise, we need to adapt things so the VLAN works after flashing an image.

I don't see how Wi-Fi would ever work without configuring it or restoring settings first and then doing a second restore.

Title
    Thanks
    From my understanding the VLAN port is configured and fully working, so no restart needed but whatever checks are made to determine internet connectivity must be checking the LAN port.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    From my understanding the VLAN port is configured and fully working, so no restart needed but whatever checks are made to determine internet connectivity must be checking the LAN port.
    The VLAN port is not configured after reflashing, enigma needs your settings to establish which connection you want, so it initially assumes the LAN port will be used if it's connected.

After all this time without anyone reporting the problem, surely another settings restore is no big deal, WIFI needs one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast