Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box advice from experts please

Title
    Thanks

Box advice from experts please

Hello,

I am reaching out to some experts who can help a relative newbie with some advice on buying their first satellite box. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am new to the world of satellite!

I have listed some key points below which will hopefully narrow down my options...

1. I have a Sky dish which has 2 cables and has the Sky HD type LNB (not the Sky Q type).

2. I would like the ability to pause, rewind, record multiple programmes at the same time and schedule recording in the future with series link - similar to Sky TV.

3. I have hard-wired Ethernet and WiFi but preference would be to connect over Ethernet.

4. In addition to watching FreeSat/FreeView TV, I would also like to view other channels, such as IPTV.

5. I would like to view/stream live/recorded programmes on other devices such as phone, PC etc (not sure if that's possible).

6. Budget wise I don't have a limit as such, but am looking for the best value for money as if it works well I will look to purchase additional boxes in the future.

7. 4K is not a must-have requirement.

8. I am not sure if this is possible so it is not a must-have, but ideally I would like a box that can run Android apps that I can sideload. I saw something about the Zgemma H10 having Android dual boot but believe that's not released yet.

Thank you, I really appreciate any help people can provide.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Virtually all of the boxes will do all except the android app.

You can watch IPTV as long as you can create a M3u list and some run the stalker app for IPTV

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for your reply @Stanman. It's good to hear I have several options.

Looking at the forums it seems to popular boxes for me are:
    - Zgemma H9 twin
    - AX HD61
    - Vu+ models (I think)

But I am struggling to find what are the main difference in features are between these models? I have tried looking for a feature comparison table or something similar but was unable to find anything. Can you/anyone help with this please?

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    The difference will be hardware, your needs are mostly covered by the software.
    If you want to record and watch at same time then you want twin tuners, 4K if that's what you want.
    All of my boxes are vu and very happy with them but AX is highly recommended by owners.

Sorry never owned Zgemma so can't say if any good.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by satuser7 View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply @Stanman. It's good to hear I have several options.

Looking at the forums it seems to popular boxes for me are:
    - Zgemma H9 twin
    - AX HD61
    - Vu+ models (I think)

But I am struggling to find what are the main difference in features are between these models? I have tried looking for a feature comparison table or something similar but was unable to find anything. Can you/anyone help with this please?

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks.
    My view!
    Never owned a Vu+ - why pay all that extra money for the name?
    I currently use a H9combo (combo version of twin) and AX HD61 in testing (all my receivers bar the Gigablue in my lounge) go thru the same Onkyo amp to a high end monitor. Both excellent with many similar features and ability to run Stalker plugin , but I am always surprised by the excellent picture quality of the h9combo.
    However if I was to replace my lounge box then it would be with the AX HD61 - a nice looking quality box.

As always picture quality is in the eye of the beholder, and some people believe that out of the box TV's need nothing doing to them and then twiddle with the receiver to achieve their picture perfection(?) - my impressions are based on my lousy eyesight and the use of the same hardware configuration to compare.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    How many tuners do you want?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMMM View Post
    How many tuners do you want?
    So apologies for my basic knowledge but I have 4 Sky cables coming from the satellite but they are split between 2 rooms, so 2 cables in one room and the other 2 cables in another room. I don't have an aerial. I only want to have the box in one room. So I think that means I need a twin satellite (DVB-S2X)?

@twol, Thank you, and I agree I don't want to pay extra for a Vu+ for the sake of it but beyond hardware and LCD screen, it's not clear to me what the Vu+ offers that the cheaper boxes don't. I have seen several posts from users saying they are happy with their Vu+ and recommend it but, as a newbie, I'm still unsure of the benefits. Maybe it's speed, or the remote control? I assume the UI is the same on each? It's something I'll be using daily so happy to spend a little more if it adds benefit.

Thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    You could have up to 8 tuners with the cabling you have by changing the LNB and choosing a box with FBC tuners

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    But I am struggling to find what are the main difference in features are between these models? I have tried looking for a feature comparison table or something similar but was unable to find anything.
    Maybe WOS should have a wiki with comparison guide for OpenViX supported models as is done like THIS HERE?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LraiZer For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (14-02-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LraiZer View Post
    Maybe WOS should have a wiki with comparison guide for OpenViX supported models as is done like THIS HERE?
    Yes that would definitely help a newbie like me!

Title
    Thanks
    You could have up to 8 tuners with the cabling you have by changing the LNB and choosing a box with FBC tuners
    Does that mean I can record/watch up to 8 channels at the same time? Just with 2 cables per room?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Does that mean I can record/watch up to 8 channels at the same time? Just with 2 cables per room?
    I don't know any box that lets you watch 8 channels at the same time. Number of channels that can be recorded is limited by the number of demuxes the receiver has.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks

Something like Gigablue UHD UE 4K UHD would give you that facility, i dont see why you would not be able to watch all 8 on different tvs using Kodi

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Something like Gigablue UHD UE 4K UHD would give you that facility, i dont see why you would not be able to watch all 8 on different tvs using Kodi
    That is streaming. Nothing to do with watching 8 channels at once on the connected display.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Just to be clear, I don't need to watch/record 8 channels at once, I was just querying the previous reply. The main reason for me starting this thread was to get more of an understanding of ZGemma vs Vu+ in terms of features, etc.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast