Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: min dish size in London area for all channels 28.2e and best discrete dish

Title
    Thanks

Question min dish size in London area for all channels 28.2e and best discrete dish

Hello,

What id the min sat dish size to recive all 28.2e all FTA channels in the London area so that includes all Freesat, sky, and antghing else under 28.2e?

Also the discrete sat dishes,are they any good, I have seen some flat pLate ones with NO LNB sticking out and some looking like garden globe lamps?

BrokenUnusableAccount
    I don't know. But I know a lot of the answer is "it depends".
    Like do you mind if you lose some channels every time it rains?
    Must it be as small as possible to minimise the chance the landlord will realise you're breaking the rules?
    Or do you simply not want to spend more on a big dish for no benefit?
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 07-02-21 at 19:07.

Title
    Thanks
    I can have a bigger dish but but dont like the look of it spoling the elevation of the house.

I have a big 90cm dish in the garden but need a second dish as i cant connect it to the second tv sat tunner as cant run extra cable thru the same cable route.

So need a second dish but descrete or small as possible in the garden.

I heard there are zone 1 and 2 dish and not shure which one is right for what i want to do based on my location?
    An no i dont want to loose channels so need to know what is the smallest that will give me everthing at 28.2e as mentioned?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    A zone 1 dish will be fine. Or get a unicable LNB that will allow you to use splitters on the cable.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIEN1X View Post
    I can have a bigger dish but but dont like the look of it spoling the elevation of the house.

I have a big 90cm dish in the garden but need a second dish as i cant connect it to the second tv sat tunner as cant run extra cable thru the same cable route.
    A dish doesn't necessarily have to be fitted to the front of the house. Depending on the orientation of your house, it could be fitted to look over the roof. However even with this arrangement the smaller the dish the better and possibly one with perforations to minimise windage effects.

Code:
    http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/reference/dish-screened-by-roof.pdf
    Even with this arrangement the smaller the dish the better and possibly one with perforations/mesh to minimise windage effects.

Also, zone 1 mini-dishes sold for sky/freesat/28.2E are oval and ideally should be matched to a LNB with an oval aperture so if considering a different type of LNB consider a round dish of comparable size.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    so will a zone1 dish that normallt comes with lnb pick up all the FTA channels under 28.2e? I thought they were resticted to sky and freesay only?

If i have one sat dish and a Unicable LNB, How would that be connected to 2 tvs with buitin sat tunners, im assumimg it only needs one cable comming into the hiuse s its unicable?
    Last edited by ALIEN1X; 08-02-21 at 23:45. Reason: TYPO

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Which FTA channel are you wanting to receive. With a unicable LNB, you add a splitter and send wires to different satellite receiving devices. If you are using a TV with built-in satellite tuner, make sure it can use unicable LNB before buying an LNB.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    so will a zone1 dish that normally comes with lnb pick up all the FTA channels under 28.2e? I thought they were resticted to sky and freesat only?
    There's no restrictions and there isn't anything much other than Sky and Freesat anyway, except occasional weird tests and feeds that pop up, I have only ever found one what wasn't either testing before becoming a Sky channel or encrypted, it was a feed from a Spanish football stadium)

If i have one sat dish and a Unicable LNB, How would that be connected to 2 tvs with buitin sat tuners, im assuming it only needs one cable coming into the house s its unicable?
    As I understand it you would need the boxes and TVs to be unicable compatible.
    You use a simple passive unicable splitter in the house and run a single cable from the splitter to each input on each TV or box.

There are LNBs with a unicable connection and some normal connections.
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 09-02-21 at 02:09.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    There's no restrictions and there isn't anything much other than Sky and Freesat anyway, except occasional weird tests and feeds that pop up, I have only ever found one what wasn't either testing before becoming a Sky channel or encrypted, it was a feed from a Spanish football stadium)
    There are probably 200+ FTA channels with only a now/next EPG. There is a lot of USA right wing and USA god channels, a lot of "ethnic" and minority channels, a lot of shopping channels. When I had a Freesat box 10+years ago I had a browse through all of these FTA channels and I came to the conclusion that "200 channels and nothing to watch".
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    There are probably 200+ FTA channels with only a now/next EPG. There is a lot of USA right wing and USA god channels, a lot of "ethnic" and minority channels, a lot of shopping channels. When I had a Freesat box 10+years ago I had a browse through all of these FTA channels and I came to the conclusion that "200 channels and nothing to watch".
    They're all, except maybe around 3 or 4 of them, Sky channels. Your receiver probably didn't do OpenTV EPG.
    I did forget about the two FTA 4K demo channels though, in 4K 50p using HEVC.

There's some continuous loops that presumably Sky boxes use in demo and setup modes, and an audio feed to radio studios called Sky News Radio.

At the moment there's an echoing Arabic sounding (to my ignorant ears) voice with text on coloured images which isn't part of Sky and it looks like a new Chinese related news channel called NDT may be coming soon, it has Sky EPG, black video and silent sound at the moment.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    a new Chinese related news channel called NDT may be coming soon, it has Sky EPG, black video and silent sound at the moment.
    Oops I think it's called "NTD News", showing ARQIVA MCR test card and tone at present.
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 09-02-21 at 18:52.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback,

Correct me if im wrong,

A 45cm dish should work for all fta channels under 28.2e

as both of my smart samsung tvs has buit in sat tunners for freesat and any FTA saterlite, i doubt its unicabel compatible, os I guess it will have to be a normal dual output lnb

another question is can a rg6 sat cable bend round 4 corners ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback,

Correct me if im wrong,

A 45cm dish should work for all fta channels under 28.2e

as both of my smart samsung tvs has buit in sat tunners for freesat and any FTA saterlite, i doubt its unicabel compatible, os I guess it will have to be a normal dual output lnb

another question is can a rg6 sat cable bend round 4 corners ?
    Possibly a quad LNB is around the same price and it gives some spare future capability - many/most people run a box with PVR functionality with two or more satellite tuners.
    Alternatively a Unicable LNB with additional legacy outputs - perhaps three cables from the LNB with two of them going to equipment that doesn't support Unicable.

Probably better to go with a cable with a foam dielectric such as Webro WF100 but yes RG6 cables can go around corners BUT the MINIMUM bend radius should be 10 times its diameter and ideally more. DO NOT crush or kink it when going around a corner or when installing cable clips. Foam dielectric cables resist crushing and kinking better but it is still possible to do so with them.

Don’t forget if taking a cable from outside to inside include a drip loop in the cable. A drip loop is just a length of cable taken below the hole and then brought back up to the hole. It is the low point and when water runs down the outside of the cable it drips off this low point rather than just running into the hole in the wall.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (10-02-21),Joe_90 (10-02-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks

Ah interms of dish , would normal sat dish be better or raven type?

Althiough Im in London would is there alot of diffrence between zone 1 and 2 dish, sorry if i tried to ask before?