Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin Simple 1080 button bar

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,941 Times in 3,265 Posts

Skin Simple 1080 button bar

Just want opinions... coloured text or button graphics. Coloured text stops button graphics showing when they should not, and not having graphics leaves more room for text.

1.jpg2.jpg

3.jpg4.jpg

5.jpg6.jpg

7.jpg8.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Willo3092 (01-02-21)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Coloured text for me

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The coloured text screen shots show the problems with the contrast against a coloured background. White text on black (or a dark colour) is always readable, red text against a black background is difficult.

However, no-one is imposing the use of a skin when other are available so its down to personal taste. My eyes are not as good as they were when I was young so text menus with better contrast and more basic rounded/upright fonts suit me better.

I did once have a STB where the designer thought light grey text on a light blue background was a good idea. It’s also a mistake Barclaycard once made with some of their printed literature – white text on a light(ish) blue background. The light blue being the colour of their corporate logo.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Button graphics for me every time, coloured text is very difficult to read.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I'd go for graphics where you've got higher transparency. You need the white text to cut through the changing background.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 881 Posts
    I prefer the buttons. Coloured text can be difficult to read on certain backgrounds as @adm says.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

BrokenUnusableAccount

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Just want opinions... coloured text or button graphics. Coloured text stops button graphics showing when they should not, and not having graphics leaves more room for text.
    I think I prefer buttons.

I don't know much about how skins work but if you can't make a button disappear if the text for it is blank (blank because it has no function) could you instead make the text be a dash indicating it has no function?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    I think I prefer buttons.

I don't know much about how skins work but if you can't make a button disappear if the text for it is blank (blank because it has no function) could you instead make the text be a dash indicating it has no function?
    The buttons showing is nothing to do with this skin. It is because a mountain of work would have to be done to bring the unmaintained skins up to date. An no skins don't add text.

Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    I prefer the buttons. Coloured text can be difficult to read on certain backgrounds as @adm says.
    Background is black, except the second infobar which currently is the wrong shade. If you flick from first infobar to second infobar you will see second infobar is far too light and that is the problem.

Previously this did not notice as there was never a button bar in that screen.

This is what it looks like with SIB transparency fixed...

1.jpg

TBH, I don't think the grabs do it justice. On the TV it looks good.
    Last edited by Huevos; 02-02-21 at 02:05.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (02-02-21)

BrokenUnusableAccount
    The buttons showing is nothing to do with this skin.
    That doesn't change the argument.
    You were the one who said you didn't like the buttons showing when there was no function/no text for them.
    It would make more sense to have the button and a dash indicating no function than to just have no button and no text for some of the buttons.

Background is black, except the second infobar which currently is the wrong shade. If you flick from first infobar to second infobar you will see second infobar is far too light and that is the problem.
    But it's just the right transparency to still see the TV program. I like to bring up the big full screen second infobar and still be able to see the TV programme properly.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    You were the one who said you didn't like the buttons showing when there was no function/no text for them.
    It would make more sense to have the button and a dash indicating no function than to just have no button and no text for some of the buttons.
    Having a dash just adds another thing that should not be there. And it is nothing to do with the skin.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I'd argue that having labels indicating that the button does nothing just adds cognitive load to the user. Taken to its logical conclusion, we should also show menu, info icetc. with a red X through them when they do nothing.

If you press one of the unassigned buttons, you'll automatically get the button unassigned X popup. That should be sufficient.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to simonc For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (07-09-22),Andy_Hazza (03-02-21),Huevos (02-02-21),Rob van der Does (12-02-21)

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Having a dash just adds another thing that should not be there. And it is nothing to do with the skin.
    Stop telling me over and over that it's nothing to do with the skin.
    The fact that I initially thought it was to do with the skin should not disqualify me from answering your question about which arrangement (coloured buttons or coloured text) I prefer.

Why shouldn't they be there?
    Isn't the complete row of coloured buttons that matches the row of real coloured buttons on the remote the way one makes it clear that they correspond with the buttons on the remote?
    If not why do you bother putting them in the same order as on the remote?
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 02-02-21 at 14:08.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Why shouldn't they be there?
    Isn't the complete row of coloured buttons that matches the row of real coloured buttons on the remote the way one makes it clear that they correspond with the buttons on the remote?
    If not why do you bother putting them in the same order as on the remote?
    Inactive buttons should not be there. Being there is due to code in enigma that had no foresight to templating. If we fix the python code (couple of weeks work) we would then need to fix 10 unmaintained skins (about a month's work each) to have a fully automatic button bar. Alternatively we could just delete all those skins, after all no one cares for them, but I don't think that would go down too well, which is why I suggested this change. Some skins, e.g. RED HD, are beyond hope because the buttons are in different positions in every screen.

3.jpg
    4.jpg

Other popular skins (Confluence and Magic) have been using coloured text for a long time.

1.jpg

2.jpg

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Inactive buttons should not be there.
    This is just your opinion.
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 02-02-21 at 23:31.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    This is just your opinion.
    So you would like meaningless crufts dotted all over the skin?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (03-02-21)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast