Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Mounting Linux Device on Network

Title
    Thanks

Mounting Linux Device on Network

Dear all

Some years ago I managed to mount a directory on a windows machine and could play music files over the network. Now I have a different device with Linux Mint on and thought I could do this here too. So I shared the directory on my Linux machine and built up a mount point as I would know.
    The mount point name is linux_Music
    These are the specs: AUTOFS, Active Enable, Local share name linux_Music (as entered on the Linux machine), Mount type CIFS share, server IP IP of the Linux machine, server share home/username/Music, Use as HDD replacement No (as I have a USB as HD replacement), Mount options rw,utf8, username my username, password my Linux login password.

When I now enter through a plugin to this share no file is shown..

The other direction (FTP from Linux to sat box) works perfectly well

What did I miss?

Thanks for any hint
    VU+ Solo2
    USB 32GB used as HDD
    Diseq 13.0E 19.0E

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nekrub2 View Post
    What did I miss?
    You mention that you are trying a CIFS mount.

So have you set up Samba on your Mint system so that it (the Mint system) can actually serve CIFS?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks

Samba sharing

Yes, samba is installed. On the folders I see with right mouse click "Sharing Options". and I entered the following
    Share Name linux_Music
    Allow others to create / delete files in this folder yes (ticked on)
    Guest access yes (ticked on)

i'll reboot both, sat box and Linux Mint PC and see whether something changes.
    VU+ Solo2
    USB 32GB used as HDD
    Diseq 13.0E 19.0E

Title
    Thanks

File share from Linux

Tough luck, even after verification of sharing options and reboot I cannot see any file.
    VU+ Solo2
    USB 32GB used as HDD
    Diseq 13.0E 19.0E